Saratoga...what happened guys?

Thanks for taking the GREAT pics, prestobunnies!!!!!! :notworthy: :ebert: :cheers: :clap: I always appreciate the excitement I feel every time I see photos of Rush playing live. :cheerleader: :banana: I also enjoy seeing the band having fun, especially when the funny characters appear, e.g., the men in striped clothing having a "cold one" near the open cooler!!!! :LOLsign:

I was loving all of CA, but I kept having this nagging feeling that I was the only one (which I know I wasn't, but I felt every eye in the place was on me as I was freaking out and they were bored to tears). It almost made me uncomfortable and I couldn't wait for them to get through the album and onto some hits. I could just feel the life draining from the crowd.

Then, back to old stuff, wait - Manhattan Project, yawn and Red Sector A - is this considered a hit?

When YYZ kicked in, the energy was back in the crowd.

I love the obscure stuff, but I do feel badly for the general concert goers.

I get so focused on watching them play that I sometimes completely miss the 'extras' on stage, after the show I will be like...what? I didn't see that.

Yes - I was looking at some of my pictures and I couldn't place where a lot of the big screen images were from. I had no idea there was stuff going on back on the screen - I was too lost in Geddy's eyes... :drool:

I get so focused on watching them play that I sometimes completely miss the 'extras' on stage, after the show I will be like...what? I didn't see that.

Yes - I was looking at some of my pictures and I couldn't place where a lot of the big screen images were from. I had no idea there was stuff going on back on the screen - I was too lost in Geddy's eyes... :drool:

:LOL:

I call that "Geddy Blindness." :LOL:

• Like 1

Ah I suffer from Geddy blindness too and I also miss alot of the big screen stuff. I told myself since I was seeing the same show 3 times I need to enjoy the "whole" experience ..and yet still found myself concentrating on the playing

I love the obscure stuff, but I do feel badly for the general concert goers.

I don't. I mean, what would I have sympathy over? Their lack of band knowledge? Their inability to appreciate the new and unfamiliar? Their preconceptions that may or may not have been fulfilled?

Bollocks to the casual fan who has a less than spectacular time at a Rush show. I don't measure my Rush identity through what other spectators are doing. If they're mired in ennui and unfamiliarity, they should have kept up on the music.

• Like 1

Nobody can handle the truth....it's a boring show.....the song selection has too many stretches where people can fall asleep.

While I don't agree about it being a boring show, I do feel there's some tweaks they could've made to the set in order to not lose people who may not like or even know the new material and deep cuts. I think Far Cry should've been dropped and Limelight should be the first set closer. The idea behind it being since they're going into a bunch of new stuff in the second half, at least end the first part with a song everyone knows.

As for the second half I thought they should've divided up the new stuff with a couple hits as to not lose 90 percent of the crowd. The first part of the second set could've gone something like this:

Caravan

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Carnies

New World Man

Seven Cities Of Gold

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

The Garden

Freewill

That's just the way I would've went with the set.

Nobody can handle the truth....it's a boring show.....the song selection has too many stretches where people can fall asleep.

No - Rush just structured it that way so those idiots could have time to tweet about their being bored, etc.

Not sure what "truth" you're talking about. Maybe you should hope Swedish House Mafia comes back?

• Like 1

While I don't agree about it being a boring show, I do feel there's some tweaks they could've made to the set in order to not lose people who may not like or even know the new material and deep cuts. I think Far Cry should've been dropped and Limelight should be the first set closer. The idea behind it being since they're going into a bunch of new stuff in the second half, at least end the first part with a song everyone knows.

As for the second half I thought they should've divided up the new stuff with a couple hits as to not lose 90 percent of the crowd. The first part of the second set could've gone something like this:

Caravan

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Carnies

New World Man

Seven Cities Of Gold

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

The Garden

Freewill

That's just the way I would've went with the set.

I hardly think that would have made much of a difference to people like rayrushray that complained about the show.

Otherwise, CAs is a concept album w/ a tour to match. It's a classic case of people going to a concert to rehash their past as is the case w/ most concerts these days. I mean take some of the more popular bands that started during the same era of the '70s and early '80s that are still touring and what do you hear, only their songs from that era, they have no new material and if they do it pretty much sucks and isn't relevant today.

Not to mention when you go see a band like that, w/ few if any exceptions, key members of the original band are missing and the lead singer more often than not sounds like a car horn w/ one of the two frequencied horns broken. In fact, I refuse to go to any other shows because I feel like I've been robbed of my good memories when I do.

e.g., last time I saw Kansas, in the early '90s, it wiped out every good memory I ever had of the band. Thank heavens that Kerry Livgren wasn't there. Then again, if he had been perhaps the cheap show would have been worth it.

The fact that Rush commands the ticket prices that they do says worlds about them, ... TODAY, not yesteryear or nostalgically speaking.

Yeah,. the Anarchist, Carnies, Clockwork Angels, and Headlong Flight are real snoozers.

:eyeroll:

LOL, I would tend to agree if BU2B were on the set-list, but it wasn't, anywhere. In fact, they did BU2B for Time Machine, and IMO it was too slow. Not a big fan of that particular song.

People complaining about the modern show appear to be more poppies posing as fans of the band. Rush does a pretty good job of mixing things up from tour to tour, but as they realize, their fan base is too broad to make everyone happy.

Edited by Wingmaster

Nobody should handle this post....it's a boring post.....the word selection has not enough stretches and people are aware.

• Like 1

They could eat canned beans and fart in their microphones for three hours, and I would probably think it's the most progressive farts ever heard ;)

What I mean is that Rush can't possibly please everybody, and while I'd love hear all their greatests hits at a show, the fact that they played a lot of deep cuts didn't ruin the show (I wasn't at Saragota) for me. I sometimes get the feeling that you North Americans are way too spoiled. You have had the possibility of seeing them live for so many decades, and still some people just want a Greatests Hits show? Being from Europe I'll take whatever they serve :)

• Like 1