Finally! A healthy AND delicious breakfast sandwich

Lerxster

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/dunkin_donuts_glazed_breakfast_sandwich_ll_130603_wg_zps3a283979.jpg

By CANDICE CHOI AP Food Industry Writer

NEW YORK June 4, 2013 (AP)

Even as fast-food chains tout their healthy offerings, they're also coming up with fatty new treats to keep customers interested. Case in point: Dunkin' Donuts is adding a doughnut breakfast sandwich to its national menu this week.

The sandwich, which comes with fried eggs and bacon between a split glazed doughnut, will become a part of the permanent menu starting Friday, which the chain claims is "National Donut Day." Dunkin' Donuts had tested the sandwich in select stores in eastern Massachusetts in April, creating considerable buzz online.

Notably, Dunkin' Donuts says the "Glazed Donut Breakfast Sandwich" clocks in at 360 calories, which is less than the 390 calories for the turkey sausage sandwich it recently introduced for people looking to eat better.

Dunkin' Donuts, based in Canton, Mass., is a unit of Dunkin' Brands Group Inc., which also owns Baskin-Robbins.

The latest concoction may seem to conflict with the push by companies to court customers with better-for-you offerings. For example, options like egg whites and whole grain bread have become common as fast-food chains scramble to attract people in their 20s and 30s, who they say want fresher, wholesome food.

That desire to give menus a healthier glow isn't just lip service. Earlier this year, a report by the Hudson Institute found that lower-calorie options were a key indicator of growth at restaurant chains between 2006 and 2011.

The chains that expanded such options saw customer traffic rise by 11 percent, while those that didn't saw traffic fall by 15 percent, according to the public policy research group.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/dunkin-taking-doughnut-bacon-sandwich-national-19315846#.Ua0fbf3D_rc

:D

Could you just attach that to my aorta, please, there's no need for me to actually chew it...

Thank you.

I want 5, right now please.
  • Like 1

I do hate eggs but regardless, that's f***ing gross

Okay, take off the egg and what's gross? Bacon? Donuts? :wacko: Don't you blaspheme in here!

Put it this way, I love roast pork and I love French vanilla ice cream but mixing the 2 doesn't mean I'll have something delicious.

Okay, take off the egg and what's gross? Bacon? Donuts? :wacko: Don't you blaspheme in here!

Put it this way, I love roast pork and I love French vanilla ice cream but mixing the 2 doesn't mean I'll have something delicious.

Well I hear ya, Johnny, but this is basically a bacon & egg mcmuffin with a donut substituting the english muffin. You got to be pretty sensitive to food combos to be that turned off by this sandwich. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :cheers:

At least it's healthy....

"Notably, Dunkin' Donuts says the "Glazed Donut Breakfast Sandwich" clocks in at 360 calories, which is less than the 390 calories for the turkey sausage sandwich it recently introduced for people looking to eat better."

Well I hear ya, Johnny, but this is basically a bacon & egg mcmuffin with a donut substituting the english muffin. You got to be pretty sensitive to food combos to be that turned off by this sandwich. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :cheers:

I mustn't be that sensitive to combos since I was willing to try kimchee and chocolate [twice even]...not good.

imho, a soft, (preferably warm) very sweet, glazed doughnut doesn't seem to match up with crunchy bacon in a single sandwichy bite. And that's not even considering the repulsive fried egg (aka, my kryptonite) in there

I mustn't be that sensitive to combos since I was willing to try kimchee and chocolate [twice even]...not good.

imho, a soft, (preferably warm) very sweet, glazed doughnut doesn't seem to match up with crunchy bacon in a single sandwichy bite. And that's not even considering the repulsive fried egg (aka, my kryptonite) in there

You ate chocolatey vegtables.. twice? You are indeed brave, sir.

Just curious. And I often give foods a 2nd or 3rd chance before I totally write them off.

I've tried every variation of eggs (and from different birds) several times each...and many of those times because it's somewhat rude to not accept food that you're served in certain countries.

The smell of eggs [especially fried] makes me want to vomit sometimes

Just curious. And I often give foods a 2nd or 3rd chance before I totally write them off.

I've tried every variation of eggs (and from different birds) several times each...and many of those times because it's somewhat rude to not accept food that you're served in certain countries.

The smell of eggs [especially fried] makes me want to vomit sometimes

Once curious, twice brave in my book :LOL:

Sorry to hear that. Eggs are so versatile, and I like them just about any way but runny. Breakfast is my favorite use, and with bacon and donuts- it's a can't lose sandwich to me. Looking forward to trying this thing :D

You beat me to it. Even without the eggs it's gross.

I'm mostly fearless when it comes to combining foods. I've made some seriously odd wraps with leftovers. Bacon and dounuts, the sweet with the salty, sounds like the flavor of right to me.

Edited by Lerxster

I'm mostly fearless when it comes to combining foods. I've made some seriously odd wraps with leftovers. Bacon and dounuts, the sweet with the salty, sounds like the flavor of right to me.

That is just TOO sweet. The glaze is nothing more than confectioners' sugar and a little fake vanilla extract mixed with water. I do like caramelized bacon, but that's not as in-your-face like the doughnut is.

Like salted caramel. I do not get the fuss over this. Next we'll see cakes with a crust of salt over the icing.

Moot point anyway because eggs ruin everything.

That is just TOO sweet. The glaze is nothing more than confectioners' sugar and a little fake vanilla extract mixed with water. I do like caramelized bacon, but that's not as in-your-face like the doughnut is.

Like salted caramel. I do not get the fuss over this. Next we'll see cakes with a crust of salt over the icing.

Moot point anyway because eggs ruin everything.

Mara, if you ever come to Japan be careful. Mofos put egg in and/or on everything. I don't want a fried egg with an exploding yolk in my f***ing Caesar salad! Or one on my pizza! Or a boiled egg floating in my bowl of ramen! Sumbitches!! :blaze:

Last thing I'd want on a sweet, glazed doughnut is a slimy, stinky egg!!!

http://www.sakura-hostel.co.jp/blog/natto%201.jpg You should try this. It's REALLY Good. :scared:

It's called なっとう。(Hiragana) 納豆 (Kanji) Natto.

It's essentially fermented soybeans. It tastes like absolutely nothing, at least to me. But has a really gross texture.

I have it once a week. But it has LOTS of nutrients in it.

I usually have it over rice. Next to Tamagoyaki. Which is much more pleasing to a foreigner. Basically a sweet omelette.

Edited by D3strukt

http://www.sakura-hostel.co.jp/blog/natto%201.jpg You should try this. It's REALLY Good. :scared:

It's called なっとう。(Hiragana) 納豆 (Kanji) Natto.

It's essentially fermented soybeans. It tastes like absolutely nothing, at least to me. But has a really gross texture.

I have it once a week. But it has LOTS of nutrients in it.

I usually have it over rice. Next to Tamagoyaki. Which is much more pleasing to a foreigner. Basically a sweet omelette.

Natto: fermented beans with a raw egg and soy sauce and smells like JohnnyBlaze's sweaty feet after hiking 5 hours under the summer sun. I tried that garbage 3 times even though I despise eggs as much as Mara. Sure it's healthy but so are hundreds of other dishes. Even the Japanese acknowledge that it stinks...soooooooooo a non-smelly version of natto has been in the market for years. Texturally, natto is like snot and chewing gum mixed.
  • Like 1