It's Saturday Night And I'm "HIGH 'N DRY!" "Back In Black" By AC/DC Is BETTER? NO WAY!

"HIGH 'N DRY" VS. "BACK IN BLACK"  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which album kicks the most hard rock ass in your kick ass hard rock mind?

• "High 'N Dry" Def Leppard
    • "Back In Black" AC/DC
    • None of these early Eighties records!! The Rush Forum has been taken over by MUSE Fanatics!

now post-bon ACDC? party shit for sure, but bon seemed to have a brain about him

Yeah, they became more commercial with Johnson, but albums like Flick of the Switch and FTATR are still pretty removed from the mainstream.

• Like 1

I've always felt Bon Scott was a solid lyricist . Down and dirty street poetry.

the dude was real, and anyone who writes him off as a "party" lyricist clearly hasn't heard anything besides radio hits... bon seemed to have a brain about him

Yeah, that business about who-has-the-biggest-balls, that was poetic and deep! Real intellectual stuff!

But I digress. I don't know their catalog as well as you. (Thank God! I've heard enough!) Quote me some of his "brainier" lyrics and prove me wrong.

Edited by GeddyRulz

the dude was real, and anyone who writes him off as a "party" lyricist clearly hasn't heard anything besides radio hits... bon seemed to have a brain about him

Yeah, that business about who-has-the-biggest-balls, that was poetic and deep! Real intellectual stuff!

But I digress. I don't know their catalog as well as you. (Thank God! I've heard enough!) Quote me some of his "brainier" lyrics and prove me wrong.

What albums have you heard?..with all due respect Rulz, you cant listen to AC/DC with a Rush mentality. Bon Scott wrote what he experienced, and was very much a bad ass rock n roll frontman. Much like Ronnie Van Zant. These guys were honest and yeah, the lyrics were clever..In a biker bar, back alley sort of way...I will dig some up as examples in a bit...

• Like 1

Im really shocked at anyone comparing the two bands....they come from completely different mindsets. I've never even thought to compare them. How bout we do Poison vs. Metallica next?..

Poison on the other had has done some songs that are darn good, plus they rock live. I have seen them live 4 times and they have always been real good. Their "LIve, Raw & Uncut" DVD really rocks. One good song after another.

Ok, now you're just being silly.

• Like 1

What albums have you heard?..with all due respect Rulz, you cant listen to AC/DC with a Rush mentality. Bon Scott wrote what he experienced, and was very much a bad ass rock n roll frontman. Much like Ronnie Van Zant. These guys were honest and yeah, the lyrics were clever..In a biker bar, back alley sort of way...I will dig some up as examples in a bit...

:popcorn:

Im really shocked at anyone comparing the two bands....they come from completely different mindsets. I've never even thought to compare them. How bout we do Poison vs. Metallica next?..

Poison on the other had has done some songs that are darn good, plus they rock live. I have seen them live 4 times and they have always been real good. Their "LIve, Raw & Uncut" DVD really rocks. One good song after another.

Um, no. Actually I was being serious.

I am not saying that they have written anything remotely close to thought provoking lyrics or (to my ear) complex music. Far from it. They are just a very good bar band. But that's part of what makes them fun to listen to and sing along with (although in my case most folks don't really want to be around me when I try to sing. Heck i don't like listening to myself trying to sing - that's part of the pleasure of concerts, I can sign along and never inflict my voice on anybody - including myself!!!).

That being said, with songs to sign (or howl) along with like "Nothing but a Good Time" "Fallen Angel", "Ride the Wind", "Every Rose has its Thorn", "Talk Dirty to Me" & "I Wont Forget You" they can be a blast live. Esp. if you have a beer or two and some cheap lawn seats.

Seem them with Quite Riot opening for them - good show (both bands). Saw them opening for Motley Crue - kicked Crue's backside. Saw them twice with Def Leopard. Both of which were fine shows. Both bands rocked live (another reason to like DL over ACDC - my one ACDC show was good but not in the same league as the DL shows I have seen). I am certain a few folks will be sickened by that last statement!!!

Glad I made you laugh. I figured I might make some folks spew.

• Like 1

I am not saying that they have written anything remotely close to thought provoking lyrics or (to my ear) complex music. Far from it. They are just a very good bar band. But that's part of what makes them fun to listen to and sing along with (although in my case most folks don't really want to be around me when I try to sing. Heck i don't like listening to myself trying to sing - that's part of the pleasure of concerts, I can sign along and never inflict my voice on anybody - including myself!!!).

That being said, with songs to sign (or howl) along with like "Nothing but a Good Time" "Fallen Angel", "Ride the Wind", "Every Rose has its Thorn", "Talk Dirty to Me" & "I Wont Forget You" they can be a blast live. Esp. if you have a beer or two and some cheap lawn seats.

Seem them with Quite Riot opening for them - good show (both bands). Saw them opening for Motley Crue - kicked Crue's backside. Saw them twice with Def Leopard. Both of which were fine shows. Both bands rocked live (another reason to like DL over ACDC - my one ACDC show was good but not in the same league as the DL shows I have seen). I am certain a few folks will be sickened by that last statement!!!

lol, good on you and thanks for such a justified reply. I like the early Leps a lot but compared to Bon AC/DC in their prime(between LTBR and HTH), they can't even get close.

These two albums are my favorite from each band and I actually like them about the same.. But def leopard is a much better and more interesting band in my opinion.. I don't have much use for AC/DC. Good band but kinda boring after a while..

Def leopard? Auto correct makin me look stupid again!

These two albums are my favorite from each band and I actually like them about the same.. But def leopard is a much better and more interesting band in my opinion.. I don't have much use for AC/DC. Good band but kinda boring after a while..

Def leopard? Auto correct makin me look stupid again!

Coulda been worse. Coulda been Delf Leotard.

• Like 1

Ultimate Classic Rock's Top Ten Bon Scott lyrics:

http://ultimateclass...t-ac-dc-lyrics/

The lyrics to Highway to Hell are brilliant, a warning sign to the unwary, a clarion call to the ne'er-do-well and the rapscallion. There's a poignancy there too, as Bon's Faustian pact made the lyrics all too prophetic. This stuff is the rockers Hellhound On My Trail & Cross Road Blues. And it also ROCKS LIKE F#%K!

No stop signs, speed limit

Nobody's gonna slow me down

Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Nobody's gonna mess me round

Hey Satan, payed my dues

Playing in a rocking band

Hey Momma, look at me

I'm on my way to the promised land

I'm on the highway to hell

• Like 1

As for BiB, I can't really decide a winner here, they're both about the same...

What was I thinking :facepalm: BIB owns H&D so much it hurts, it hasn't aged well. I much prefer On Through The Night anyway, along with Tom Allom's production :yes: I keep saying it but wtf, AC/DC lose me after FTATR and will continue to do so :) So yay, I can cast my vote now :hail:

Edited by Steevo

I didn't say it was intellectual, and you're proving post by post that you're not exactly one either

Ha, no mention of Greek mythology? Science? Lord of the Rings? Ayn Rand? Pff, what fools! What peasants! Excuse me while GeddyRulz and I discuss the finer aspects of life, while you fools sit and listen to this mindless party dribble. Ha!

What peasants! Excuse me while GeddyRulz and I discuss the finer aspects of life, while you fools sit and listen to this mindless party dribble. Ha!

No thank you; I'll have that discussion with people a little more like-minded. Why don't you go join the fools listening to the mindless party dribble, since you enjoy it so much.

Edited by GeddyRulz

Ha, no mention of Greek mythology? Science? Lord of the Rings? Ayn Rand? Pff, what fools! What peasants! Excuse me while GeddyRulz and I discuss the finer aspects of life, while you fools sit and listen to this mindless party dribble. Ha!

No thank you; I'll have that discussion with people a little more like-minded. Why don't you go join the fools listening to the mindless party dribble, since you enjoy it so much.

I haven't liked an ACDC record start-to-finish SINCE back in black dude, just because I'm defending bon scott when clearly you've heard maybe 3 songs doesn't mean I'm some huge ACDC fan, I just like to call out a snob from time to time

I will admit that there are some songs by Poison that I like as well. They actually do pretty good covers of Rock and Roll All Nite and Your Momma Don't Dance.

As an aside, personally, I'm not looking for intellectual enlightenment from Bret Michaels, or Neil Peart for that matter.

What peasants! Excuse me while GeddyRulz and I discuss the finer aspects of life, while you fools sit and listen to this mindless party dribble. Ha!

Ah, GR, I've missed you and your ready charm and easy going manner. Such a lovely, lovely man.

To my ears, lyrics are secondary. It's the melody, the hooks and the rhythm that are the most important. Lyrics can enhance a song or distract a song and I think Bon Scott's lyrics, for the most part, are appropriate to the music. Oh yeah, I'll take AC/DC over Def Leppard any day and any time.
  • Like 2

I haven't liked an ACDC record start-to-finish SINCE back in black dude, just because I'm defending bon scott when clearly you've heard maybe 3 songs doesn't mean I'm some huge ACDC fan, I just like to call out a snob from time to time

1. I haven’t liked a Rush album “START TO FINISH” since Moving Pictures, but I’m still a fan. There aren’t ANY albums by Rainbow or Van Halen or Iron Maiden that I like “START TO FINISH,” but I’m a fan of them, too. You’re an ACDC fan; you know it, and I know it.

2. I’ve heard more ACDC songs from the Bon Era than three. TNT, The Jack, Long Way to the Top, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Big Balls, Highway to Hell… that’s six right there, or TWICE as many as you thought I “maybe” knew.

3. I’m sure everyone thanks you for the service you’ve provided: “calling out” a snob. Congratulations. If that was your only goal here, I could’ve saved you the trouble: I freely admit I’m a (musical) snob. I didn’t need to be “outed.”

To my ears, lyrics are secondary. It's the melody, the hooks and the rhythm that are the most important. Lyrics can enhance a song or distract a song and I think Bon Scott's lyrics, for the most part, are appropriate to the music. Oh yeah, I'll take AC/DC over Def Leppard any day and any time.

So you've joined the club of fools? Good :eyeroll:

Why? Because lyrics don't necessarily influence if I think a song is good or bad? I love Sigur Rós and I have no friggin' idea what the lyrics mean, in fact, sometimes the lyrics mean nothing. I love Yes and Jon Anderson can sometimes write the most pseudo-intellectual/spiritual lyrics ever. But, both bands write great melodies. That's the key. Another example, I love the album The Indestructible Beat of Soweto and I have no idea what the songs are about. I love Paul McCartney's "Let 'Em In". The lyrics are infantile. I love Dylan and the guy can sometime tend to ramble on in a very pretentious way.

• Like 2

Best club in the WORLD! The beer is always COLD, the rock is always LOUD!

Bu, yew cain't be a readuh. (reminds me of my favourite Bill Hicks sketch, "Well, looks like we got ourselves a READ-Uh!") Except Tuesdays, that's our Kierkegaard day.

• Like 1

After being rejected by AC/DC Robert John Mutt Lange took his pop aspirations to Yorkshire, England and showed Joe Elliot his woman Shania Twain who flaunted her country body from all angles. Angus and Brian had wanted to ball her but she rejected their rough advances and Mutt's pop ideas bounced of angus's Aussie head like a boomerang ie "f**k off mate". But Joe Elliot was different, he wanted to try on Shania's spangly things, all nylons and sheer lace, and booty heels, and right then Mutt realised he had found his sellout poser hard pop band of the future. And Dress Leotard, AKA the band formerly known as Def Leopard, was born...

:oops:

• Like 1