Losing It & Countdown

Cygnus 2112

Whomever compared Signals to the Rupert Hine era was spot on. The album as a whole really has no balls and was the beginning of a downward turn for Rush.

Countdown, Chemistry, and Losing It are all very good examples of the problems that plagued this album. They all have very promising starts and brilliants parts but just go nowhere. I have always found this album to be extremely overrated and, coming off such an incredibly brilliant run of albums, a very disappointing effort at a time when Rush could have exploded.

I love Subdivisions and Analog Kid. The rest of the album needs a shot of adrenaline and sounds like an unfinished project as a whole.

That being said, Rush did what they wanted to do at the time and that's the important part. They challenged themselves and even though I believe they really missed the mark, they gave it a good shot.

I love Signals, just bought the smallest sub-woofer in the world, a Cambridge Little Minx and Signals sounds awesome because I can really separate Alex's guitar away from the mix so it sounds really crisp. Sure the mix is questionable but I've always called it the album they tried to mix in the sky. The Signals tour was the best and the one they should have put on film.

I love Signals, just bought the smallest sub-woofer in the world, a Cambridge Little Minx and Signals sounds awesome because I can really separate Alex's guitar away from the mix so it sounds really crisp. Sure the mix is questionable but I've always called it the album they tried to mix in the sky. The Signals tour was the best and the one they should have put on film.

Signals is such a unique album. Personally I find Signals to be nearly a perfect album and it's definitely one of my favorites. I think both songs serve the album well. GUP is a little bit more aggressive and the lyrical content is in a different direction for most of the songs. Lyrically speaking, Kid Gloves would have went well on Signals.
  • Like 2

Signals is such a unique album. Personally I find Signals to be nearly a perfect album and it's definitely one of my favorites.

Agreed, and for all of the talk of the keyboards on it, it has some of my favourite Lerxst solos, too: Subdivisions, The Analog Kid, Chemistry, Digital Man, The Weapon. Brilliant album, and I think Losing It and Countdown finish it really well.

One post this time. I found Grace Under Pressure a huge disappointment when it came out although it has age quite well. Didn't like Alex doing those U2 Edge type solos although the Kid Gloves solo is awesome. The guitar work on Signals is under rated and the solo in The Weapon is amazing.

One post this time. I found Grace Under Pressure a huge disappointment when it came out although it has age quite well. Didn't like Alex doing those U2 Edge type solos although the Kid Gloves solo is awesome. The guitar work on Signals is under rated and the solo in The Weapon is amazing.

Agree completely re: guitar parts. Its some of Alex's best work, easily.

Losing It isn't depressing. No, it's not an uplifting little ditty, but it's real. Countdown is fall of drama and crescendos.

Both songs are truly excellent and Signals itself is perfect. Not sure what the detractors are referring to. :huh:

Losing It isn't depressing. No, it's not an uplifting little ditty, but it's real. Countdown is fall of drama and crescendos.

My thoughts exactly on both. "Real" is a perfect way to describe Losing It.

Just because something is real doesn't mean it's not depressing!

Just because something is real doesn't mean it's not depressing!

Whatever you want to call it, it's a f*cking GREAT and beautiful song. :yes: :ebert:

• Like 3

Whomever compared Signals to the Rupert Hine era was spot on. The album as a whole really has no balls and was the beginning of a downward turn for Rush.

Countdown, Chemistry, and Losing It are all very good examples of the problems that plagued this album. They all have very promising starts and brilliants parts but just go nowhere. I have always found this album to be extremely overrated and, coming off such an incredibly brilliant run of albums, a very disappointing effort at a time when Rush could have exploded.

I love Subdivisions and Analog Kid. The rest of the album needs a shot of adrenaline and sounds like an unfinished project as a whole.

That being said, Rush did what they wanted to do at the time and that's the important part. They challenged themselves and even though I believe they really missed the mark, they gave it a good shot.

Agree completely, though I'm really only a fan of Analog Kid from that album (and New World Man is an admittedly good single). At a later point in their career I would have welcomed Signals, but coming on the heels of PW and MP, when Rush was poised to rule the world, it was like "WT#?!? Is this the same band?" I play it now and then thinking I might like it more, but it really does sound sort of unfinished, esp the last two songs, which are really good conceptually, but just not executed in a way that dounds right (is the disembodied NASA voice in Countdown the same one that so ominously warned me of the danger of the Necromancer and the triumph of the Solar Federation??? Is that my niece's Sony fun machine doing the dee do dee do keyboard solo before the anti-climactic playout?? I can only wonder). It would have been interesting if they could have done Losing It on tour as they might have finally done it justice.

Agree completely, though I'm really only a fan of Analog Kid from that album (and New World Man is an admittedly good single). At a later point in their career I would have welcomed Signals, but coming on the heels of PW and MP, when Rush was poised to rule the world, it was like "WT#?!? Is this the same band?" I play it now and then thinking I might like it more, but it really does sound sort of unfinished, esp the last two songs, which are really good conceptually, but just not executed in a way that dounds right (is the disembodied NASA voice in Countdown the same one that so ominously warned me of the danger of the Necromancer and the triumph of the Solar Federation??? Is that my niece's Sony fun machine doing the dee do dee do keyboard solo before the anti-climactic playout?? I can only wonder). It would have been interesting if they could have done Losing It on tour as they might have finally done it justice.

You people are :crazy: - Signals is a PERFECT album. A masterpiece! :yes: :notworthy: :haz:

• Like 1

I think Losing It is one of the most profound songs they have ever put on an album but...as was mentioned above...could be awfully strange playing it live at this point in their career.

Countdown to me is f@$%^&! EPIC.

Countdown live was a blast. Back then, on the Signals tour, I thought the whole building will collapse. The sound was so earthshaking. Pure drama. Great tune, especially performed live.
  • Like 1

Two songs I'd love to see live... I really thought that with the string section, this would be a time to pull something like Losing It out...

Countdown was just a wild tune to begin with, and I was surprised that they dropped it.

Countdown live was a blast. Back then, on the Signals tour, I thought the whole building will collapse. The sound was so earthshaking. Pure drama. Great tune, especially performed live.

Did they have the shuttle visuals in the background?

I remember them having shuttle visuals in the background - that was, however, a long time ago!

I remember them having shuttle visuals in the background - that was, however, a long time ago!

What I remember is that they showed pictures in the background, not exactly sure if it was a film. :codger: It was in 1983.

What I remember is that they showed pictures in the background, not exactly sure if it was a film. :codger: It was in 1983.

Wow. It must have been in black and white.