Outdoor house projects

Lost In Xanadu

Anyone have any coming up seeing it's a 3-day Memorial Day weekend here in the States?

I prepped last week, to hopefully make planting this week easier. Last week I edged the lawn, trimmed, weeded, mulched, planted an ornamental Rose of Sharon tree, planted grass seed in the couple bare spots... all with the help of my lovely wife.

This weekend we are planting perennials and annuals in the beds around the house, 4 rose bushes, and filling 2 hanging baskets. Plus my wife has her heart set on doing what I'm sure most people have seen in those Home Depot commercials.... 2 of these flower tower things:

http://styleguide.homedepot.com/images/spring2013/howto/rooms-tower/how-to_10_tower_out-rooms.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, I planted grass seed in an area of my yard where it won't grow. This time I used seed that was made specifically for heavy shade. I also over seeded and fertilized the rest of my lawn. That spot now has grass coming in. I hope it last all season, and gets full. The rest of my lawn is looking good, despite a few dandelions. I couldn't use a weed killing fertilizer since I over seeded. And my next door neighbor's yard is a dandelion plantation!

Last weekend, I edge the side walk, and got my garden in. I planted tomatoes, sweet peppers, zucchini, cantaloupe, and cucumbers.

My wife wants to turn an area of the yard that used to be a play area into a garden, so I'll be working on that soon.

Besides mowing the lawn, no. Flowers and a small veggie garden done and planted a few weeks ago. Weed pulling assaults- check. This weekend is about beer, bbq, sitting around an outdoor fire with fam & friends, relaxing.. and of course, putting up lots of extra stars and stripes in remembrance of the fallen.
  • Like 2

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg293/goose_trf/NewStainedDeck.5.19.15_zps59nhr4cu.jpg

Got the deck stained this morning. It's an annual Spring rite.

Nice!! :ebert:

Party at Goose's place. :yes: :yay: :banana: :hail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0ZVk593shQ

:7up: :dweez: :7up: :dweez: :7up: :dweez: :7up:

• Like 1

Man, reading my OP... that Rose of Sharon tree is DEAD! So sad.... It was pretty for a couple seasons.

Bummer. Any idea what happened?

Since its been spring here for quite a while now I have done it all a few times over already. My front lawn is not where I would like it to be but I am working on it. I raked and over seeded it a little over a week ago and have been watering regularly so I hope to see some major results here in the next couple weeks. All my plants and trees are on point and looking great. Besides regular cutting and edging the lawn, the next outdoor project is pressure washing the house, sidewalks and driveway. Basically anything not moving gets hit. When my health was a bit better I could make an entire day of it but not sure if I can do it all at once now. We shall see. I may have to do it over a two or three day period. My pressure washer will kick your @ss if you aren't careful as if you were in a fight and lost... :) Edited by Narps
  • Like 4

Since its been spring here for quite a while now I have done it all a few times over already. My front lawn is not where I would like it to be but I am working on it. I raked and over seeded it a little over a week ago and have been watering regularly so I hope to see some major results here in the next couple weeks. All my plants and trees are on point and looking great. Besides regular cutting and edging the lawn, the next outdoor project is pressure washing the house, sidewalks and driveway. Basically anything not moving gets hit. When my health was a bit better I could make an entire day of it but not sure if I can do it all at once now. We shall see. I may have to do it over a two or three day period. My pressure washer will kick your @ss if you aren't careful as if you were in a fight and lost... :)

Can't you regulate the pressure washer?

Since its been spring here for quite a while now I have done it all a few times over already. My front lawn is not where I would like it to be but I am working on it. I raked and over seeded it a little over a week ago and have been watering regularly so I hope to see some major results here in the next couple weeks. All my plants and trees are on point and looking great. Besides regular cutting and edging the lawn, the next outdoor project is pressure washing the house, sidewalks and driveway. Basically anything not moving gets hit. When my health was a bit better I could make an entire day of it but not sure if I can do it all at once now. We shall see. I may have to do it over a two or three day period. My pressure washer will kick your @ss if you aren't careful as if you were in a fight and lost... :)

Not the pressure as far as I know. The tip can be changed. Its only and I say only 2700 psi (back in the day I have used ones over 3000). I used to use my neighbors "Harry Homeowner" 1700 psi machine but it doesn't do the sidewalks and driveway etc very well. For the house it works fine as I don't want to blow the house down :LOL: ...
  • Like 1

Not the pressure as far as I know. The tip can be changed. Its only and I say only 2700 psi (back in the day I have used ones over 3000). I used to use my neighbors "Harry Homeowner" 1700 psi machine but it doesn't do the sidewalks and driveway etc very well. For the house it works fine as I don't want to blow the house down :LOL: ...

How old is it?

I am surprised their isn't a pressure valve.

How old is it?

2 years. There may be. I just put gas in it and pull and go to town...
  • Like 1

How old is it?

2 years. There may be. I just put gas in it and pull and go to town...

Old school. :codger:

You should check it out though for safety reasons.

Man, reading my OP... that Rose of Sharon tree is DEAD! So sad.... It was pretty for a couple seasons.

Bummer. Any idea what happened?

Winter in WI... It survived the first one... guess the second was too much. It was borderline.

• Like 1

Lawn mowed. Yeay! I thought I saw a giraffe roaming out there in the tall grass...

Planted 8 lavender plants.

Training clematis vine onto trellis. Finally, it likes it somewhere.

the Spring peepers are out and about making lots of noise. bluurrrrppp!

• Like 3

I've done so much planting the past few years that at this point, it's just upkeep. I plant annuals in bare pockets though for that constant color. I like the front yard right now because my azaleas have bloomed and they are a pale pink, the Mexican Orange has beautiful tiny white flowers, my rhodies are a brilliant red and with my annuals, I have punches of purple, hot pink, pale blue and navy. My daylilies are about to bloom a bright yellow and the peonies are about to pop. I can't wait. Other than that, for the front, it's just making it look, "nice." We live in an area where at least once a week you have to mow, edge and weed. I laid down bark last weekend and everything looks nice and neat. There's no moss, no bare spots and the grass is nice, full and green.
  • Like 2

Ugh - I look around, so much to do - so little time.

We try.

Tomatos planted.

Herbs planted.

Lilacs planted

mulch down - should have bought more :doh:

If I could keep the maple keys from germinating in between the patio stones...... :facepalm:

• Like 1