Geddy's response to The Runaways

clem

From Rush is a band:

http://www.rushisaband.com

Geddy Lee also finally addresses claims by

The Runaways

that Rush were jerks to them when they opened for Rush back in 1977, as was dramatized in the movie biopic

The Runaways

. Jett said the following in a

2010 interview with JAM! Music

:

... Joan Jett says members of Rush were anything but polite Canucks when the Runaways opened for them in the 1970s. In the new film biopic about the band titled The Runaways, Jett (played by Kristen Stewart) is derided by an unidentified rock group they're opening for. She later retaliates by breaking into their dressing room and urinating on one of their guitars. Jett doesn't hesitate to identify the real-life inspiration for the scene. "Rush! They sat on the side of the stage and laughed at us," Jett says. "That sort of stuff pisses me off." ...

Here's what Geddy had to say about it:

"The Runaways had a ginormous chip on their shoulders. I remember that show. We had trouble with our gear so our soundcheck got delayed and The Runaways never got one. But we were always good to whoever was opening for us. We had no bias against them because they were girls - none of that bullshit. I know they said that we were laughing at them when they played, but quite frankly they were too shitty to listen to. And 40 years later they have a story to tell about it. Who knew?"

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

So I decide to read a bit about The Runaways on Allmusic.com, and I look at their last album released in 1987 titled "Young and Fast". Looking at the song credits, it states there's a song on the album titled "King of the Neighborhood" that is written by Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson!

http://www.allmusic....st-mw0000192752

Did anyone else know about this?

Sorry if I'm late to the party.

Clem

I don't think that song was really written by Lee/Lifeson - it's just some weird error (intentional or not) on the allmusic website.

I just listened to it on Rhapsody. It brings new meaning to the word "Bad". I agree with you. That's pretty weird, though......

Clem

It's pretty weird that I can't find the true composer to that song. Even The Runaway's official website doesn't even acknowledge the album exists. Less than unimportant album apparently. It sounds like they have a Casio drum machine playing with them on that song. And is that autotuning? Wretched.

Here's one review.

It was safe to assume that this record would suck, but nothing could have prepared me for how utterly and hilariously bad it really is. In spite of 23 musicians and 5 different vocalists being credited, Young And Fast features none of the original RUNAWAYS, and was clearly an attempt, by the ever unscrupulous Kim Fowley, to cash in on the name and further defile the RUNAWAYS' legacy. The words to explain just how terrible this record is simply don't exist. To say that the lyrics sink sub-moronism to new lows and that the music and melodies are childish, superficial, and painfully bland is only scratching the surface. The songs range from hamfisted SUZI QUATRO-ish Glam Rock (sorry Suzi), to synthesized 60s girl group pap, to pseudo-urban electro pop and f**k knows what else. There is no question that this is THE worst record I've posted and possibly the worst record I've ever heard, and I strongly advise that you do not download it unless you've got an insatiably morbid curiosity or are in search of a good laugh.

http://horriblenoise.blogspot.com/2010/07/runaways-young-and-fast-lp.html

Here's one review.

It was safe to assume that this record would suck, but nothing could have prepared me for how utterly and hilariously bad it really is. In spite of 23 musicians and 5 different vocalists being credited, Young And Fast features none of the original RUNAWAYS, and was clearly an attempt, by the ever unscrupulous Kim Fowley, to cash in on the name and further defile the RUNAWAYS' legacy. The words to explain just how terrible this record is simply don't exist. To say that the lyrics sink sub-moronism to new lows and that the music and melodies are childish, superficial, and painfully bland is only scratching the surface. The songs range from hamfisted SUZI QUATRO-ish Glam Rock (sorry Suzi), to synthesized 60s girl group pap, to pseudo-urban electro pop and f**k knows what else. There is no question that this is THE worst record I've posted and possibly the worst record I've ever heard, and I strongly advise that you do not download it unless you've got an insatiably morbid curiosity or are in search of a good laugh.

http://horriblenoise.blogspot.com/2010/07/runaways-young-and-fast-lp.html

"...Or in need of a good laugh" There you have it. If you need a good laugh, listen to the runaways.. No wonder Rush was laughing at them !

"Trouble with our gear so our sound check got delayed".... Ummmm Yeah, Joan Jett pissed on them! :eyeroll: :P

"I know they said that we were laughing at them when they played, but quite frankly they were too shitty to listen to. And 40 years later they have a story to tell about it. Who knew?"

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4ifbmql1v1qfw2dno1_250.gif

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/1644088/pat-benatar-shakes-o.gifhttp://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/1644088/pat-benatar-shakes-o.gif

Awesome. Geddy telling it like it is. Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

Ha - that's pretty awesome.

The Runaways music is terrible. I still don't understand what their frickin problem is?

Okay - bravo, they were an all female band.... with really bad songs.

The seventees had plenty of incredibly talented, successful female rockers - Ann and Nancy Wilson of course - and Stevie Nicks and Christine Mcvie from Fleetwood Mac, who penned some of the biggest hits of all time, let alone the entire decade.

If The Runaways were shunned and ridiculed despite having really good songs, I would be the first to defend them.

But they sucked.

• Like 1

Might of been interesting if Joan Jett & The Black hearts made the cut for rock hall..

Something tells me Rush would've kept in different circle during ceremony, curious if they so happened to run into Don Henley?

If the Runaways were a real band and not just a money-grubbing, managerial construct, I would feel like Geddy was out-of-line by saying that they were too shitty to listen to. Fortunately, that is not the case.

The Runaways were a group thrown together for their looks and not so much for their musical ability. It was a money making venture.

The Runaways movie was pretty terrible as well.

It was ok.

It barely held my interest - it just got so depressing and vague towards the end, I didn't care about any of the people and it was filmed really dark and dingy.

The documentary on The Runaways "Edgeplay" is actually well done, yeah there manager comes across as a low life pervert. Completely naive and gullible due to in a large part there age when they started, Runaways didn't have much experience in anything dealing with being in a rock band and what to expect once the hard reality of touring set in. I like couple of there songs catchy, even if they were lightweight, propped up gimmick mannequins . :P

If the Runaways were a real band and not just a money-grubbing, managerial construct, I would feel like Geddy was out-of-line by saying that they were too shitty to listen to. Fortunately, that is not the case.

He was kind of out-of-line anyway, really, but it's understandable that a human being with feelings would toss a gratuitous insult at people who have gratuitously insulted him.

He was kind of out-of-line anyway, really, but it's understandable that a human being with feelings would toss a gratuitous insult at people who have gratuitously insulted him.

And while it might not have been his most mature moment (though still understandable), at least he wasn't just making something up. Their music really was pretty shitty. :P