Knee injury?

FountainOfSyrinx

Sorry I didn't know where to post this, but I wanted to ask all of my TRF friends :)

Yesterday, playing soccer, I went in for a tackle and my knee got thrown in an awkward position and I heard and felt a loud pop, with some significant pain after. I laid there for a while, and my coach carried me off to the side. They looked at it, no swelling, but intense pain all around my knee. Bending it was painful, and straightening it out was not insanely difficult but it was painful. So they asked me if I could get up and walk. I managed to get up, with all my weight on my left side, the healthy knee, and they said okay that's a good sign. Then, I tried to walk, and there was pain on the back side of my knee as well as the inside part of my knee. I elevated it and put ice on it, which helped somewhat, and just laid there for a while. Then we had to leave the field, and I severely limped off to the car because I didn't want help, haha.

So we got home, I took some pain reliever, and the consistent pain throughout all of my knee subsided. Good sign?! I laid there, then I tried to get up, and go pee. Walking was very painful, with emphasis to the back side of my knee. Also, any rotation of the knee have me significant discomfort to the inside portion of the knee.

So I went to sleep, woke up this morning, and the knee was incredibly stiff and much worse than yesterday. Straightening it out is very painful as is trying to contract the knee towards my body, and there is a point where it feels like my knee is just gonna snap if I pull it towards me any more. The pain is focused on the inside of my knee and the back side of my knee.

I went to the doc, and because walking is very painful, they scheduled me for an MRI.

However, it seems like it might be a couple of days before I get this MRI because of this stupid "pre-authorization" and authorization from the doc and the insurance.

So, does anyone have any real idea what I can expect from my MRI results?! :(

Thanks y'all.

I don't know how to help, but all I could think of when I read your post was "Owwwwwwwwww!!" :scared:

All I can offer is a virtual :hug2: ...

It was not fun.. :(

But thank you! You're awesome. :) :)

Hopefully there's nothing seriously wrong and I'm just being a whimp.

Not sure...but my daughter broke the head of her humerus on Saturday. She fell off of her horse during a competition and landed on her shoulder. She was having a hard time moving it, but wasn't in as much pain as when she broke her elbow last year. We thought she was just sore, but took her on Sunday for an x-ray and sure enough...broken.

So, you could have anything show on that MRI. LOL Good luck and get better soon!

Sorry I didn't know where to post this, but I wanted to ask all of my TRF friends :)

Yesterday, playing soccer, I went in for a tackle and my knee got thrown in an awkward position and I heard and felt a loud pop, with some significant pain after. I laid there for a while, and my coach carried me off to the side. They looked at it, no swelling, but intense pain all around my knee. Bending it was painful, and straightening it out was not insanely difficult but it was painful. So they asked me if I could get up and walk. I managed to get up, with all my weight on my left side, the healthy knee, and they said okay that's a good sign. Then, I tried to walk, and there was pain on the back side of my knee as well as the inside part of my knee. I elevated it and put ice on it, which helped somewhat, and just laid there for a while. Then we had to leave the field, and I severely limped off to the car because I didn't want help, haha.

So we got home, I took some pain reliever, and the consistent pain throughout all of my knee subsided. Good sign?! I laid there, then I tried to get up, and go pee. Walking was very painful, with emphasis to the back side of my knee. Also, any rotation of the knee have me significant discomfort to the inside portion of the knee.

So I went to sleep, woke up this morning, and the knee was incredibly stiff and much worse than yesterday. Straightening it out is very painful as is trying to contract the knee towards my body, and there is a point where it feels like my knee is just gonna snap if I pull it towards me any more. The pain is focused on the inside of my knee and the back side of my knee.

I went to the doc, and because walking is very painful, they scheduled me for an MRI.

However, it seems like it might be a couple of days before I get this MRI because of this stupid "pre-authorization" and authorization from the doc and the insurance.

So, does anyone have any real idea what I can expect from my MRI results?! :(

Thanks y'all.

I want to say something positive, but based on what you described, I cannot.

A loud "pop" noise is not good.

Difficulty/pain in rotating the joint is not good.

Pain inside and to the rear of the joint suggests an injury to the ACL, PCL, or MCL.

Hopefully, I'm completely wrong about it!! :eh:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/09/Knee_diagram.svg/658px-Knee_diagram.svg.png

A few years ago I was chasing my kid around the yard like a dumbass and sprained my knee after running into a hole. I couldn't put any weight on it at first, it hurt like a motherf**ker, and I had to spend weeks mainly sitting in a recliner with a stupid knee brace on that prevented me from bending it too much. I can't help you out with the MRI because I just went to urgent care that night and they only x-rayed it, but I feel your pain and know that it sucks.

The worst part was just sitting around. I made it worse because I got impatient a few weeks into it and went and saw Kiss...standing the whole time with crutches.....because I'm an idiot. :LOL:

Send a PM to Lost In Xanadu. I believe he has ruptured an ACL. He may be able to give some good insight on knee injuries.

Thank you all! I took the day off of school today, got some crutches and a brace, and am awaiting word on my MRI.

At least I can still go to the show tomorrow night :ebert:

I have very "fond" memories of knee surgery......when I was 12 years old.....when knee repair was still medieval in nature........ :rage: :rage:

I was playing racquetball of all things, planted my foot after a sprint to hit a drop shot with the intention of getting back to the rear of the court quickly.... heard a loud pop and my knee bent outward. I blew out my ACL and had reconstruction done in 1999.

Good luck!!

This is the EXACT injury I sustained in January! I slipped on a wet floor at work.

My MRI showed that I had torn the MCL. The orthopedic doctor said that surgery might be necessary, but he wanted me to have physical therapy for awhile first.

The good news is that I'm almost back to normal now and it doesn't look like surgery will be necessary. I did EVERYTHING they told me to do. Most importantly, keep ice on it for at least half an hour, two to three times a day. It's a hassle, but it works! And you'll have to do this for at least two months. The healing process is a long one. It's been three months since my accident and today is the first day I came to work without wearing my knee brace.

Good luck!

My guess is a torn or ruptured ACL or MCL.

The stiffness this morning was due to you being inactive while you were sleeping (not much you can do about that) and the ibuprofen wearing off.

Enjoy the show and be ready for some possible surgery and rehab in your near future.

I was playing racquetball of all things, planted my foot after a sprint to hit a drop shot with the intention of getting back to the rear of the court quickly.... heard a loud pop and my knee bent outward. I blew out my ACL and had reconstruction done in 1999.

Good luck!!

This is the EXACT injury I sustained in January! I slipped on a wet floor at work.

My MRI showed that I had torn the MCL. The orthopedic doctor said that surgery might be necessary, but he wanted me to have physical therapy for awhile first.

The good news is that I'm almost back to normal now and it doesn't look like surgery will be necessary. I did EVERYTHING they told me to do. Most importantly, keep ice on it for at least half an hour, two to three times a day. It's a hassle, but it works! And you'll have to do this for at least two months. The healing process is a long one. It's been three months since my accident and today is the first day I came to work without wearing my knee brace.

Good luck!

Ooooo......!! :scared: :hug2: :scared:

I have to agree with some others here; I think it's probably your ACL (I'm not a medical doctor, but just surmising based on what you said about the pain on the back side of the knee). If it's not torn, you might not need surgery, and that would be good.

I got tendonitis in my left knee when I was 14, from skiing (too many jumps). And then close to ten years ago, on the same leg, I sprained my MCL pretty badly. It was a really stupid injury...I was in a hurry before work one morning, and I was putting some things on the passenger's seat in my car, and I closed the door and pivoted around really quickly, my whole body went the direction I intended to, but the lower half of my left leg stayed in place. I fell face first onto the garage floor and starting screaming because it hurt so much. Felt like my kneecap had come unhinged or something. I went to the doctor the next day, because that knee was swollen so badly that I almost couldn't pull on a pair of jeans over it...I went for an MRI a bit after that, and found out that I had sprained the MCL. I rehabbed it, and wore a brace for a month or so. I think it took longer than that to start feeling 'normal' again, though.

A rather funny by-product of the tendonitis I had (and I call it funny because it doesn't hurt)- if I put weight on my left leg and bend it, like when I'm walking up a flight of stairs or something, there's a crunching in my left knee that is sort of like a muted crunching of bubble wrap. It's hilarious. Like I said, though, it doesn't hurt at all. :)

I wish you luck, and I hope the news from the MRI is not too dire.

Last night i wasnt thinking at all when i put too much weight on the right knee and it just gave out and inalmost fell.

Today I got up, and felt no pain at all! I was like yes! I've just been a whimp the past couple days. But then I tried to walk and it really hurt. It hurts when I try to bend it towards me, the pain is in the front left part of the knee, the right side of the knee. And the back. When I try to fully extend it, like at a 180 degree angle, the pain is in the back.

When I push on the front left, it hurts pretty good, and also when I push on the right side of the knee.

Sorry about your knee....let us know what your MRI shows Thursday ! Enjoy the SHOW ! RUSH Are you on Pain meds?

I will! Thanks.

And yes, Tylenol. Nothing strong.

• Like 1

Okay, I had my MRI Friday afternoon, and they said hopefully my results would be back tomorrow.

Walking is easier, which is good. But I can not bend my leg much past 90 degrees at all and straightening it out is very painful too. That's my update.

Got my MRI results back. They said its a torn ACL and a fracture of the femur.. Not sure how bad the fracture is though.. They didn't really say.

Got my MRI results back. They said its a torn ACL and a fracture of the femur.. Not sure how bad the fracture is though.. They didn't really say.

OUCH..... :( :(

Bright side: ACL repair surgery is extremely successful. Lots of rehab, and you'll be good to go! :ebert: :ebert:

Yeah, that's not good. I mean, it's not the worst, but it will certainly mean surgery, right?

I wish you well in the recovery period.

I called the ACL tear - do I win anything? :LOL: Fracture of the femur? Must be a hairline fracture if you're still walking around, huh?