Question about the "Grace Under Pressure" Tour...

ALifeson85

Rush concerts were about 20 songs long in the 1980's, the GUP concert was short. I remember when the house lights came on I was surprised. No Freewill or Limelight.

....or La Villa.....or The Trees......or Xanadu.

Jeez, now that I think of it, they DID sort of cheat us, didn't they?

For what it's worth - GUP was my first concert, and it "converted" me. The rest is history. So I guess they were doing SOMETHING right....

Clem

Rush concerts were about 20 songs long in the 1980's, the GUP concert was short. I remember when the house lights came on I was surprised. No Freewill or Limelight.

For what it's worth - GUP was my first concert, and it "converted" me. The rest is history. So I guess they were doing SOMETHING right....

Clem

:LOL:

There's a true fan for you, complaining about a setlist from almost 30 years ago!

Yes, back in the day you'd get about an hour and a half of music from the headliner. The opening act would play a half hour set, didn't get an encore, tear down and setup Rush was another half hour. The ticket said 7:30, but you didn't see Rush until 9:15 or 9:30.

Signals - Golden Earring

p/g - Gary Moore

PoW - Steve Morse (I was sick and don't recall much of the show)

HYF - I can't recall an opener - this is the only Rush concert I ever debated attending so much did I dislike HYF. Rush sounded great, though, and I was glad I went.

Presto - Mr. Big

RTB - Primus

Counterparts - Candlebox

TFE to present - An Evening with Rush

Now, we see Rush closer to 7:45 or 8:00 and get a 20 minute (or so) intermission with two and a half hours of pure bliss. :D

edit to cleanup typing

You missed some of the great openers they had like Eric Johnson and Marillion. Primus actually did dates on the CP tour.

EDIT - I forgot Tommy Shaw on HYF

Y&T opened for the Grace show that I saw.

Clem

There's a true fan for you, complaining about a setlist from almost 30 years ago!

For what it's worth, my comment was meant to be tongue in cheek (maybe yours was, too). For the record, I've NEVER been one to complain about the set list. I'm always thankful that I get to see them.....one more time. Each time I see them, I'm convinced it's gotta be the last time they tour. And yet they keep surprising me!

Clem

Dose anybody know why the setlist for the "Grace" tour was so short? I have a few bootleg recordings from that tour (which actually seemed like an awesome tour), but they all have this setlist...

The Spirit of Radio

Subdivisions

The Body Electric

The Enemy Within

The Weapon

Witch Hunt

New World Man

Between The Wheels

Red Barchetta

Distant Early Warning

Red Sector A

Closer To The Heart

Afterimage (replaced with Kid Gloves half-way through the tour)

YYZ

2112 Temples of Syrinx

Tom Sawyer

Red Lenses / Drum Solo / Red Lenses (reprise)

Vital Signs

Finding My Way

In The Mood

The entire show averages out at about 1hr 40min - weird, considering the several tours BEFORE that had at least 2hr long setlists. :huh:

i just read a review for the show in buffalo which in addtion to being hysterically funny states the show was a hour and 45 mins. that was my 4th show and at the time it did not seem short .

maybe at that point they were of the mindset to take it a little easier? maybe they thought that more videos and lasers negated the shorter set list? or maybe the songs they picked were on average a little shorter than on past tours?

or maybe they were having troubles scoring quality weed on that tour and said f@ck it....

Clem

For what it's worth, my comment was meant to be tongue in cheek (maybe yours was, too). For the record, I've NEVER been one to complain about the set list. I'm always thankful that I get to see them.....one more time. Each time I see them, I'm convinced it's gotta be the last time they tour. And yet they keep surprising me!

Clem

Mine was too :)

:rush: on!

Saw this tour at MSG . Great show

I've seen every tour in Toronto since 1981. The Grace Under Pressure show was an hour and 45 minutes. I was disappointed since the previous two tours were 2 hours. Power Windows was an hour and 55 minutes. HYF was 2:05. Presto and RTB were about the same. CP was about 2:10 I think. The opening bands for the Toronto shows were: MP tour - FM, Signals Tour - The Payolas, GUP tour - Red Rider, PW tour - FM, HYF tour - Chalk Circle, Presto Tour - Voivod, RTB tour - The Tragically Hip, CP tour - I Mother Earth.

I thought them old concert videos were cut short so they could fit on VHS..

Re-read the op.. I guess you're talking about the tour itself, not the DVD/tape. Sorry, carry on :)

Edited by MMCXII

I seen them on Sept 30th at the Nassau coliseum when I was 16 when they toured in my area on Long Island. It was one on the best shows I can recall seeing back in the day. Why so short, I dont know but they played so much from my favorite albums. Seen them eveytime they are in the area since.