Name Your Favorite Pink Floyd Songs!

rushgoober

This list started because I came across some people ranking their top 10 Pink Floyd songs online, and I thought that'd be a fun thing to do too. I even started composing a thread here.

Then I thought why not look at my previous top 500 songs of all time list, and there were 21 Floyd songs listed, so I figured I might as well list the top 20.

Then I realized there are a LOT of completely amazing Pink Floyd songs, so long story short, I went crazy and wound up with 50. Seriously though, how many groups can you come up with a full FIFTY songs by and still have them be all great songs? There's probably only 5 or 10 groups like that for me at the most.

The list is far from perfect, but it's generally around where I would place songs. Doubtlessly most people will think I'm out of my mind for some of my placements, as most Floyd fans tend to favor Dark Side through The Wall above all else save for a couple of exceptions, as well as going, "Wait, WHAT?" to a few song titles that only exist as bootlegs and outtakes.

Feel free to discuss or come up with your own list (doesn't have to be 50 songs):

1. Interstellar Overdrive (long version from 'Toinite Let's All Make Love In London' soundtrack)

2. Echoes

3. Astronomy Domine

4. Apples & Oranges

5. Candy and a Currant Bun

6. Comfortably Numb

7. Scream Thy Last Scream

8. Julia Dream

9. Brain Damage/Eclipse

10. Bike

11. See Emily Play

12. Paint Box

13. Remember A Day

14. A Saucerful of Secrets

15. Nick's Boogie

16. Jugband Blues

17. Embryo

18. Arnold Layne

19. Heart Beat, Pig Meat

20. Atom Heart Mother

21. The Narrow Way

22. See Saw

23. Sheep

24. Learning to Fly

25. On the Run

26. Let There Be More Light

27. Shine On You Crazy Diamond

28. Crumbling Land

29. Fat Old Sun

30. One of These Days

31. Vegetable Man

32. Point Me At the Sky

33. Green is the Colour

34. Cymbaline

35. Breathe

36. Rain in the Country

37. Baby Blue Shuffle In D Major

38. The Great Gig in the Sky

39. Money

40. Grantchester Meadows

41. It Would Be So Nice

42. Careful With That Axe, Eugene

43. Wish You Were Here

44. Summer '68

45. Free Four

46. Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict

47. Dogs

48. Another Brick in the Wall Part 2

49. Cirrus Minor

50. Us And Them

Edited by rushgoober

Time

Echoes

Brain Damage

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Dogs

Run Like Hell

The Trial

Mother

San Tropez

One Of These Days

Young Lust

Waiting For The Worms

Comfortably Numb

In The Flesh

One Slip

Learning To Fly

On The Turning Away

Take It Back

Poles Apart

Wow, 12 of your top 19 aren't even in my top 50! :o

That said, Young Lust just missed my list.

This list started because I came across some people ranking their top 10 Pink Floyd songs online, and I thought that'd be a fun thing to do too. I even started composing a thread here.

Then I thought why not look at my previous top 500 songs of all time list, and there were 21 Floyd songs listed, so I figured I might as well list the top 20.

Then I realized there are a LOT of completely amazing Pink Floyd songs, so long story short, I went crazy and wound up with 50. Seriously though, how many groups can you come up with a full FIFTY songs by and still have them be all great songs? There's probably only 5 or 10 groups like that for me at the most.

The list is far from perfect, but it's generally around where I would place songs. Doubtlessly most people will think I'm out of my mind for some of my placements, as most Floyd fans tend to favor Dark Side through The Wall above all else save for a couple of exceptions, as well as going, "Wait, WHAT?" to a few song titles that only exist as bootlegs and outtakes.

Feel free to discuss or come up with your own list (doesn't have to be 50 songs):

1. Interstellar Overdrive (long version from 'Toinite Let's All Make Love In London' soundtrack)

2. Echoes

3. Astronomy Domine

4. Apples & Oranges

6. Comfortably Numb

8. Julia Dream

9. Brain Damage/Eclipse

10. Bike

11. See Emily Play

12. Paint Box

13. Remember A Day

15. Nick's Boogie

16. Jugband Blues

17. Embryo

18. Arnold Layne

19. Heart Beat, Pig Meat

20. Atom Heart Mother

21. The Narrow Way

22. See Saw

23. Sheep

24. Learning to Fly

25. On the Run

28. Crumbling Land

29. Fat Old Sun

30. One of These Days

31. Vegetable Man

32. Point Me At the Sky

33. Green is the Colour

34. Cymbaline

35. Breathe

36. Rain in the Country

39. Money

40. Grantchester Meadows

41. It Would Be So Nice

43. Wish You Were Here

44. Summer '68

45. Free Four

46. Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict

47. Dogs

49. Cirrus Minor

50. Us And Them

I appreciate the time that you spent to come up with this:

A quick comment from me that only took a cursory look at your list and focused on the bottom:

How can Dogs and Us and Them (which are 2 of my top 5 Floyd songs) be so low??

Are you on drugs? (just kidding :smoke: )

2. Echoes

3. Astronomy Domine

4. Apples & Oranges

6. Comfortably Numb

8. Julia Dream

9. Brain Damage/Eclipse

10. Bike

11. See Emily Play

12. Paint Box

13. Remember A Day

15. Nick's Boogie

16. Jugband Blues

17. Embryo

18. Arnold Layne

19. Heart Beat, Pig Meat

20. Atom Heart Mother

21. The Narrow Way

22. See Saw

23. Sheep

24. Learning to Fly

25. On the Run

28. Crumbling Land

29. Fat Old Sun

30. One of These Days

31. Vegetable Man

32. Point Me At the Sky

33. Green is the Colour

34. Cymbaline

35. Breathe

36. Rain in the Country

39. Money

40. Grantchester Meadows

41. It Would Be So Nice

43. Wish You Were Here

44. Summer '68

45. Free Four

47. Dogs

49. Cirrus Minor

50. Us And Them

I appreciate the time that you spent to come up with this:

A quick comment from me that only took a cursory look at your list and focused on the bottom:

How can Dogs and Us and Them (which are 2 of my top 5 Floyd songs) be so low??

Are you on drugs? (just kidding :smoke: )

And Us and Them just BARELY made the list!

It's just that my favorite Floyd is pre-Dark Side, whereas most people almost exclusively focus on Dark Side, WYWH, Animals and The Wall. Don't get me wrong, those are great albums, but I love the early Floyd. It's almost like they were two entirely different bands. They had a much more dramatic evolution than most bands go through. They were one of the few bands who went from psychedelic to proto-prog to full-on prog and were brilliant doing ALL of that. The fact that people focus so exclusively on their ultra-popular albums kind of drives me nuts a little bit. Like I said, GREAT albums, but their brilliant pre-Dark Side works are too often minimized or ignored completely.

Wow, this is nearly impossible, but I will attempt my top 20, in chronological order (not necessarily in order of my favs).

Of course, ask me again tomorrow and the list will most certainly have changed.

Here goes...

See Emily Play

Astronomy Domine

Fat Old Sun

One of These Days

Echoes

The Great Gig in the Sky

Us and Them

Shine on You Crazy Diamond (I-V) & (VI-IX)

Wish You Were Here

Dogs

Pigs

Sheep

One of My Turns

Nobody Home

Comfortably Numb

The Gunner's Dream

Not Now John

Learning to Fly

Marooned

High Hopes

Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Parts I - IX) is my favourite Floyd song.

1 to 12 - The songs from The Final Cut

Dem's de facts.

:goodone: "The Final Cut" is an amazing and underrated album, that is, indeed, a fact! :goodone:

I agree. Nice avatar, btw, RGLT.

:cheers:

• Like 1

Dem's de facts.

:goodone: "The Final Cut" is an amazing and underrated album, that is, indeed, a fact! :goodone:

If by that you mean horribly depressing and therefore the only Pink Floyd album that is completely unlistenable despite stellar production values, then I agree too. :wacko:

Seriously though, The Final Cut is PInk Floyd's Vapor Trails, except with superior sound quality, but the album is still pretty bad - should have been a Roger Waters solo album.

If anything, it's way overrated, even though it's generally considered to be Pink Floyd's worst. That, my friends, is a FACT. ;)

• Like 1

Dem's de facts.

If by that you mean horribly depressing and therefore the only Pink Floyd album that is completely unlistenable despite stellar production values, then I agree too. :wacko:

Seriously though, The Final Cut is PInk Floyd's Vapor Trails, except with superior sound quality, but the album is still pretty bad - should have been a Roger Waters solo album.

If anything, it's way overrated, even though it's generally considered to be Pink Floyd's worst. That, my friends, is a FACT. ;)

Yeah, because you say so, holy overlord of piffle and nonsense. Shouldn't you be in another room pissing all over VT, coz that schtick is so hilarious, and is not old at all.

Some of us love The Final Cut. Get over it. The thread is about individual forum member favourite Floyd songs, is it not? Or is just another vehicle for the archduke of progland to lord over us??? Hmmmmmmm????????????

Oh yeah, ahem, ;)

And your top 50 sucks! Truly.

Dem's de facts.

Yeah, because you say so, holy overlord of piffle and nonsense. Shouldn't you be in another room pissing all over VT, coz that schtick is so hilarious, and is not old at all.

Some of us love The Final Cut. Get over it. The thread is about individual forum member favourite Floyd songs, is it not? Or is just another vehicle for the archduke of progland to lord over us??? Hmmmmmmm????????????

Oh yeah, ahem, ;)

And your top 50 sucks! Truly.

:LOL: HA&S, dude, stop beating around the bush and tell me how you REALLY feel. :yes: ;)

alright, alright, i know i'm way too in love with my opinions. too late to change that now. but just MAYBE you think my top 50 list sucks because its awesomeness terrifies you? :huh: :P

ok, prolly not. :no:

if i ever do another radio show, i am SO using the nickname "the archduke of progland" :ebert:

• Like 1

1.) Not Now John

2.) Pigs

3.) Sorrow

4.) One Slip

5.) One Of These Days

6.) In The Flesh

7.) One Of My Turns

8.) Welcome To The Machine

9.) Run Like Hell

10.) Waiting For The Worms

11.) The Trail