Is "Dark Side Of The Moon" Really The Greatest Pink Floyd Album Of All Time?

RUSHHEAD666

"Dark Side Of The Moon" Is The Brightest Album Of Pink Floyd's Career?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" Is Their Greatest Album Of All Time!

• Hell Yes!
    • No Way! I have typed in my all time favorite Pink Floyd album below...................

Subjectively, this could go on for days.

Animals is my favorite, too. Probably for the same reason that Shine On You Crazy Diamond is (for many) the single best PF song; it's long, awesome, and you're not sick of it from being overplayed.

But objectively, I think it's really hard to argue against DSOTM. It's pretty much a perfect album.

1. Good atmospheric opener.

2. Three or four absolutely monumental hits that still eat the airwaves.

3. Critical acclaim.

4. Public adoration. How long was the album on the Billboard top albums chart? 741 weeks!

5. Fantastic production values.

6. Great use of new technology (tape loops, synths and sequencers).

7. Iconic album art (best rock album cover ever?)

8. Great album closer in Brain Damage/Eclipse.

9. Using a soaring, soulful aria - smack in the center of the album - which surely succeeded beyond anyone's wildest expectations.

10. Beautiful sequence and flow, making it a true album experience. Seems like it would be easy to do, never is.

It's very hard to take points from this album on anything. OK, Any Colour You Like isn't a fantastic song, but it serves its purpose well. Sometimes PF had a few too many languid breaks per album. DSOTM tightens those into two well-placed ones.

Without the towering achievement of DSOTM, I don't think Pink Floyd would have been "allowed" into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, though they had clearly earned it. Even so, it took until 1996 for the RRHoF election committee dunderheads to acquiesce. Then, we had to wait 14 years for another prog/art band to get in (Genesis in 2010).

^^^ this :goodone:

Simply put: yes. :yes:

The Dark Side of the Moon is the definitive Pink Floyd album and one of the greatest albums in history. Wish You Were Here is beautiful and the last "true" Pink Floyd album, in that the entire group wrote it. Animals was clarification of "Raving and Drooling" and "You've Gotta Be Crazy" - which had been written years before and Waters acknowledged the songs were too long. The Wall (no Wright) and The Final Cut (no Wright, replacing Mason) are essentially Roger Waters albums. Waters' initial concept became The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking. The Wall was plan B. To me, Floyd ceased to be after The Final Cut and became Gilmour, Wright and Mason.

For all of the reasons that sitboaf mentions, yes, The Dark Side of the Moon is the greatest Pink Floyd album. It is iconic.

That's the way I see it.

Despite the fact that its been overplayed, I do think DSOTM is their finest work, and one of the greatest rock albums ever created.

That being said, my favorite Floyd album by far is the brilliant Animals, followed by DSOTM, then Meddle.

Edited by greg2112

I've been in a major Pink Floyd Mode this weekend guys!

I have to admit that "Dark Side" is my favorite album. I watched the Classic Albums "Dark Side" DVD last night. That was the icing on the cake for me.

It was the record that put the band on the Map Of Super Stardom.

Now I know a lot of you like me hate it when a prog band becomes mainstream but as I learned last night "Dark Side" reached out to everyone.

It was commercial yet at the same time the Progheads like many of us fukking fell in love with it!

The song "Money" is the ultimate irony. The band made tons of money thanks to that song!!

Good for them! They deserve to make every red cent.

I try very hard to ignore Roger Waters and his ultra liberal ideals and bullshit at his solo shows but it is very hard to do.

Nonetheless, I still respect Roger as a bassist, singer and song writer. His politics can "HAVE A CIGAR!" THEY WON'T GO FAR!

It's my 2nd fav after the masterpiece known as Wish You Were Here

So METALDAD is back in town, where've you been MD?

Mars , the Moon and the Pub

So METALDAD is back in town, where've you been MD?

Mars , the Moon and the Pub

Nice to see you back chief.

Nice to be back Sir.....

Where the heck is the "Animals" Immersion Box??????

My thoughts exactly...I love "Animals"!!!!

..cut through the box lid with the knife lol

I've seen this thread for awhile, but haven't dived in before now. Part of it is because I'm torn between Dark Side and Piper at the Gates of Dawn and have been reticent to decide on the two, even though in other threads I've rated Dark Side the tiniest of notches higher.

The other is my continued annoyance at Pink Floyd almost always being recognized for Dark Side, WYWH, Animals and The Wall almost exclusively, while their 1967-1972 catalog almost always gets completely ignored, or at least greatly minimized. While those 4 albums are great (although I can't listen to The Wall as a whole anymore), and are certainly more polished and mature in a lot of ways, I listen to their earlier material FAR more frequently.

The Piper At The Gates of Dawn PROS:

contains Syd Barrett :wub:

one of the best mindblowing psychedelic albums of all time

one of the best albums of 1967 (and that's saying something)

contains individual tracks that are superlative - Astronomy Domine, Interstellar Overdrive & Bike (but doesn't contain anything approaching a bad song)

makes great use of the studio

has a lot of diversity

has a lot of innocence and enthusiasm

Dark Side of the Moon PROS:

one of the best concept albums of all time

one of the best progressive rock albums of all time

very slick and polished (though this is a CON as well as a PRO)

works incredibly well as one whole piece

incredible use of the studio and electronics

not afraid to bring in outside artists to make the album more full

very mature and realized work

In the end, I still can't decide. It's actually kind of hard to believe that this is the same group. If I could only bring one to a desert island, I'd have to bring both. I listen to both fairly equally. Dark Side has more consistency, but doesn't work that well broken up into individual songs, whereas Piper does. Dark Side takes more of an emotional commitment to listen to, whereas Piper is more effortless. I guess the one thing that keeps Piper being in the VERY highest echelons of all time albums is that some of their early singles with Syd from 1967 are SO outstanding. If you replaced some of the lesser tracks on Piper with Arnold Layne, See Emily Play, Apples & Oranges and Candy and a Currant Bun, you'd have the best album of all time without question. As it stands it's still brilliant, but so is Dark Side... for COMPLETELY different reasons.

I so want to give it to Piper just as a statement that their pre-Dark Side work really needs to be a lot more recognized, but honestly the albums are still somewhat neck and neck. My mind says Dark Side, my heart says Piper.

• Like 1

I love Piper, but the nursery rhyme feel to some of the songs, while they're cute and clever, they grate after a while. No denying the sonic genius of Interstellar Overdrive & Astronomy Domine though.

Dark Side is just a killing machine. Even after 40 years, it's lost one of it's potency. Mind you, I still think Money doesn't belong in it. But what do I know.

• Like 1