Realization

ShlappinDahBass

Over the years, I've been noticing many people have different opinions on different albums Rush has put out. Being the guitar is too boring, Geddy's voice getting deeper, etc. But I was thinking, last night, that I honestly can't say I dislike any of their albums.

So, it got me wondering as to why this is. And it kind of all boils down to my huge fanship of Geddy. Everything about him since the start of Rush's career has been exceedingly phenomenal. Whether it's to his bass skills, talent doing multiple things at once, or his voice.

Now, I may be the only one who follows this band primarily for Geddy. Of course I still think Neil and Alex have tremendous amount of talent. But, I seriously can say I may be one of the lucky ones in the world who thoroughly enjoys every Rush album. I need to know if there are any others who do! Even enjoying Counterparts, Vapor Trails, Feedback, or even their self-titled album. Anyone with me?

• Like 5

Heck yes!

And only recently have I delved into albums that I hadn't really explored before, in some cases at all. A lot of the 80s stuff just hadn't been on my radar, as most of my Rush had been brought to me courtesy of my brother and his Rush tastes. Was I ever missing out on so much good stuff! I've been suggesting songs to him, rubbing in his face some of the awesomeness that he's been missing out on.

But quite frankly, one album I might end up skipping on my ipod is Moving Pictures - not because it's not that great, by any means, but because I've simply heard the first four songs so much already.

And I totally agree (and suddenly I'm getting a flashback from my grade-school teacher admonishing me for starting a sentence with such words as 'because' or 'and' or 'but' - a no-no) with the awesomeness of Geddy. His voice is the first thing that attracted me to Rush, and he has some great singing in every single album Rush has done. Of course, there are great moments in each of the instruments (counting Geddy's vocals as an instrument).

This is cliche, but there really is something for everyone in Rush, and the fact that opinions are divided among favourites within the band's repertoire says something, I think. (Though why so many people choose to look down on Vapor Trails is beyond me....).

I, too, can be considered one of the lucky ones with regards to liking everything Rush. And after a year now of having Rush's entire catalogue stuck on my ipod, I can honestly say it's been the best collection of music I've ever chosen, and still say, "Ooh! This is a good one!" to just about every Rush song that randomly pops up.

In comparison, The Beatles lasted for just a month and a half before I had to replace them!

• Like 2

Even my least favorite album of theirs is a good record. I can always find something to like about it. There are some that never get old. I rarely listen to Roll The Bones, but it reminds me of the tour which was a great one.

Correction: Mika...I would've edited the original post but I'm on the mobile version of the website.

Ha! I was like, who's Mike? and backtracked to find his good input, and was annoyed I didn't find it until I noticed you meant me. Tee hee!

And 'Mike'... so similar to 'Mika', yet so.... different. So mannish sounding!

...And this little nugget of wisdom marks post number 700! Go me! :)

Edited by Mika

That's why Rush is a my favorite band, although they have no albums in my top 10 of all time.

There are no bad albums! :rush: Every album has at least a good song or 2 (or 3 or 4). :haz:

A lot of Rush fans like the whole catalog but Rush fans are notorious complainers!

I think this is mainly because we take out music seriously! .. Because Rush is such rich music..

I'm also a huge Geddy fan. He's the reason I still play bass today. I did kind of drop out a bit during the synth era but recently really gotten into it and learned to appreciate it. (Mainly due to the tour and all the PW material) I can honestly say that even my least favorites of their entire musical catalog beats anything put out today. At least of the stuff played on the radio.

I like pretty much everything except VT- and that has nothing to do with their output as musicians, but technical mistakes that cause my ears to bleed.

I really like all three- I can't say I'm primarily a fan of one member. I do think Alex is under-appreciated, though.

:7up:

Totally with you. I love seeing how all three of them have evolved. There are songs that aren't particularly my favorites on some of the albums but I can still listen to each album all the way through and be a very pleased Rush girl.

Right with you, furious.

I don't know if any of you have seen this but there's a dude on YouTube who have done a little over half of Rush's catalalogue with bass covers. This guy is phenomenal and I would highly suggest checking him out. It gives you a perfect sense and visual of what Geddy does. His name is TJH3113...Enjoy!

Right with you, furious.

I don't know if any of you have seen this but there's a dude on YouTube who have done a little over half of Rush's catalalogue with bass covers. This guy is phenomenal and I would highly suggest checking him out. It gives you a perfect sense and visual of what Geddy does. His name is TJH3113...Enjoy!

Thanks... I will be checking this out! :)

Well.........I like a VAST majority of Rush's work, They are not fault free. I cannot STAND VT or T4E or the debut. Other then those every Album has stuff I love.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000