NHL IS BACK: 2013 NHL Season

Cygnus 2112

@WharnsbyCBC

NHL's new division names: Pacific, Central, Metropolitan and Atlantic.

"Metropolitan"? Really?

Also, looks like NHL players are officially going to be participating in the Olympics. Not really a surprise but it sure took them a while to work it out.

It's going to be really hard to get used to saying we're in the Atlantic Division.

@WharnsbyCBC

"Metropolitan"? Really?

Also, looks like NHL players are officially going to be participating in the Olympics. Not really a surprise but it sure took them a while to work it out.

It's going to be really hard to get used to saying we're in the Atlantic Division.

That's nothing. Imagine being an Oilers or Flames fan, living hundreds of miles from the ocean, and realizing you're in the "Pacific" Division. Although I guess Phoenix and Dallas were in the old "Pacific" division, so that's nothing new.

"Metropolitan Division" just sounds dumb as hell.

• Like 1

@WharnsbyCBC

"Metropolitan"? Really?

That's nothing. Imagine being an Oilers or Flames fan, living hundreds of miles from the ocean, and realizing you're in the "Pacific" Division. Although I guess Phoenix and Dallas were in the old "Pacific" division, so that's nothing new.

Yeah, in the context of the other division names, definitely. For continuity's sake:

Metropolitan Division = Metropolitan Division

Atlantic Division = Cold as Hell, Thank You for Giving Us Florida Division

Central Division = Blackhawks and Some Other Stuff Division

Pacific Division = Come for the Scenery, Stay for the Hockey Division

Edited by Territorial_Game

@WharnsbyCBC

"Metropolitan"? Really?

Yeah, in the context of the other division names, definitely. For continuity's sake:

Metropolitan Division = Metropolitan Division

Atlantic Division = Cold as Hell, Thank You for Giving Us Florida Division

Central Division = Blackhawks and Some Other Stuff Division

Pacific Division = Come for the Scenery, Stay for the Hockey Division

I like these names too. Might also call it the Glen Metropolit Division. Although most of that division is pretty awful anyways so I guess it doesn't really matter.
  • Like 1

I don't have much to say on the division names, since well the three California team are always going to be part of a Pacific Division. Who came up with the name Metropolitan Division anyway?

Carcillo traded to the Kings for a sixth-round pick. And to think Quenneville had this guy on our top line. :LOL:

They traded the guy who took the Cup to the Rush show? Isn't that sort of blasphemous? Or at the very least, bad luck?

Anyway, It must really suck to be traded away from the championship winning team. "We're the Champs, and we don't want you anymore. You're no longer good enough to be with us." :boohoo:

Think how Anti Niemi and Buffy felt in 2010, the salary cap stuff is ruthless.

Carcillo traded to the Kings for a sixth-round pick. And to think Quenneville had this guy on our top line. :LOL:

They traded the guy who took the Cup to the Rush show? Isn't that sort of blasphemous? Or at the very least, bad luck?

Anyway, It must really suck to be traded away from the championship winning team. "We're the Champs, and we don't want you anymore. You're no longer good enough to be with us." :boohoo:

Think how Anti Niemi and Buffy felt in 2010, the salary cap stuff is ruthless.

Yeah, it was either Niemi or Hjalmarsson going to San Jose. I guess we made the right decision. And Byfuglien was the first to go in 2010. Good thing Bickell was able to take his place. :cool:

• Like 1

just my opinion here, but I'm not a fan of the 16 day break in the 2013-14 NHL schedule in February while the winter Olympics are on.... I don't think NHL players should compete at the Olympics. any comments?

The Olympics are so much bigger than the NHL, and adding NHL players to the teams not only increases the talent level, but makes the teams more accessible to viewers. I like it; even though there will be a break from NHL, it won't be from hockey.

• Like 1

just my opinion here, but I'm not a fan of the 16 day break in the 2013-14 NHL schedule in February while the winter Olympics are on.... I don't think NHL players should compete at the Olympics. any comments?

The Olympics are so much bigger than the NHL, and adding NHL players to the teams not only increases the talent level, but makes the teams more accessible to viewers. I like it; even though there will be a break from NHL, it won't be from hockey.

Agreed. Sure there will be no NHL for about two weeks or so, but I expect some great top-tier hockey and maybe get a close look at players that are not in the NHL but have great depth and like you said, it makes the teams more accessible to viewers since viewers may identify the NHL players more often than those that are not.

I don't think the Canada/USA Gold medal match in 2010 would not have been as exciting and have that memorization as one of the more well-known hockey games in history if the NHL players were not in it.

Edited by Anguyen92

Agreed. Sure there will be no NHL for about two weeks or so, but I expect some great top-tier hockey and maybe get a close look at players that are not in the NHL but have great depth and like you said, it makes the teams more accessible to viewers since viewers may identify the NHL players more often than those that are not.

I don't think the Canada/USA Gold medal match in 2010 would not have been as exciting and have that memorization as one of the more well-known hockey games in history if the NHL players were not in it.

Most of the people who are against NHL players in the Olympics simply don't care about international sports. They rate a rivalry between New York and Boston a lot higher than USA and Canada or Russia. This only happens every four years. I think we can bare it.

Team Canada invitees

No MAF, which shouldn't really be a surprise but I've had people tell me he should start over Luongo :wacko: Iggy didn't get an invite either, which is interesting.

Looks like they're not worried about Crawford's high glove side. ;)

Team Canada invitees

No MAF, which shouldn't really be a surprise but I've had people tell me he should start over Luongo :wacko: Iggy didn't get an invite either, which is interesting.

Heh, true. Although really, the goaltending's probably going to be Lu/Price/#3 who will never play, so I wouldn't worry about it either :P

Team Canada invitees

Heh, true. Although really, the goaltending's probably going to be Lu/Price/#3 who will never play, so I wouldn't worry about it either :P

I know that in these situations the call goes to the big names but I would give the nod to Crawford and Smith over Price. One thing is for sure, the Europeans will have the advantage in that position come February.

Most of the people who are against NHL players in the Olympics simply don't care about international sports. They rate a rivalry between New York and Boston a lot higher than USA and Canada or Russia. This only happens every four years. I think we can bare it.

I just don't care for multi-millionaires competing in the Olympics. Oh well, I thought I'd be in a minority position on this one. One thing I'm wondering, how will the time difference work? (they are 7 or 8 hours ahead?) I remember the evening games from the 1972 Canada Russia series being on tv early afternoon.

I just don't care for multi-millionaires competing in the Olympics. Oh well, I thought I'd be in a minority position on this one. One thing I'm wondering, how will the time difference work? (they are 7 or 8 hours ahead?) I remember the evening games from the 1972 Canada Russia series being on tv early afternoon.

Yeah, this is where your recording devices come into play on working days. I don't have to worry. It's not like somebody's going to tell me the scores here in Chicago. :P Also, if we still had a tournament like Canada's Cup in existence, I'd say fine. But since this is the only way to decide which country rules in hockey, I'm forced to be in favor of having professionals in the Olympics.

No thanks, I for one have no interest in seeing you naked. :)

No thanks, I for one have no interest in seeing you naked. :)

Nor do I. :o

• Like 1

Team Canada invitees

I know that in these situations the call goes to the big names but I would give the nod to Crawford and Smith over Price. One thing is for sure, the Europeans will have the advantage in that position come February.

Yeah, I'd argue for Smith, Crawford, or Holtby over Price but it's all about reputation, unfortunately.

To be honest, Finland is the only European country that really worries when it comes to goaltending. Maybe Sweden if Lundqvist is on fire, but they don't have a backup plan. I'm more worried about the US...we all saw what Miller did last time, and he might not even get to play this time around. Quick, Schneider, Miller, Howard, Anderson...geez, pick any 3.

The multimillionaire Olympian thing is kind of unavoidable, at least this time around. There's zero chance that the KHL will be kept out of a Russian Olympics, and if you let the top Russian league send its players, you kind of have to let the other leagues in too or else you're putting those countries at a significant disadvantage.

And I agree that the hockey is way better with the NHL there. To be honest, since the Olympics are all about money these days I'm not really bothered by it...

Edited by invisibleairwaves
  • Like 1