NHL IS BACK: 2013 NHL Season

Cygnus 2112

The ratings for last nights game were up 100% from last years game one - They had a 16 year high rating last night. It's a damn good thing that the Habs or Kings didn't make the finals :P

That's great news for the NHL in general. I wonder how much extra interest this series has because of the Original Six match up? :huh:

The ratings for last nights game were up 100% from last years game one - They had a 16 year high rating last night. It's a damn good thing that the Habs or Kings didn't make the finals :P

That's great news for the NHL in general. I wonder how much extra interest this series has because of the Original Six match up? :huh:

More likely it's because both teams have very devout fanbases. If there was someone in Boston not watching the game last night, I don't know them. I bet it's the same in your neighborhood.

More likely it's because both teams have very devout fanbases. If there was someone in Boston not watching the game last night, I don't know them. I bet it's the same in your neighborhood.

I know there are quiet a few tired people at work today. :LOL:

I believe I heard the number 1 million viewers in the Chicago area.

Horton has received shots prior to each game to deal with the pain, and though his shoulder has popped out of its socket at points during the playoffs, Wednesday’s occurrence, when he bumped into Blackhawks defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson in front of the Chicago net on a Bruins power play, was the most painful thus fair. His shoulder was popped back in after he left the ice, but he was in too much pain to return to the game. Edited by alphseeker

So, I'm at the gym this morning, and someone has posted a sign offering 4 tickets to game 3 for $2K or 2 tickets for $1050. A lot of $ for hockey tickets, but my son is a 9 year old hockey nut. Who knows when they get back again? I don't know where the seats are though. What do you guys think?

So, I'm at the gym this morning, and someone has posted a sign offering 4 tickets to game 3 for $2K or 2 tickets for $1050. A lot of $ for hockey tickets, but my son is a 9 year old hockey nut. Who knows when they get back again? I don't know where the seats are though. What do you guys think?

That's a lot of money to spend just to see the Bruins lose. But you do get to see the Blackhawks play. I say you do it! :)

• Like 1

In all seriousness Ricky, you only live once. When it's all said and done, all that we are left with is our memories. Those can never be taken away. If you can afford to drop $1050 on a pair of tickets, you do it, and savor the moment. :haz:

Horton has received shots prior to each game to deal with the pain, and though his shoulder has popped out of its socket at points during the playoffs, Wednesday’s occurrence, when he bumped into Blackhawks defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson in front of the Chicago net on a Bruins power play, was the most painful thus fair. His shoulder was popped back in after he left the ice, but he was in too much pain to return to the game.

Dear lord are these guys ever tough!

• Like 1

Horton has received shots prior to each game to deal with the pain, and though his shoulder has popped out of its socket at points during the playoffs, Wednesday’s occurrence, when he bumped into Blackhawks defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson in front of the Chicago net on a Bruins power play, was the most painful thus fair. His shoulder was popped back in after he left the ice, but he was in too much pain to return to the game.

You mean unlike the girls in MLB who sit on the DL for turf toe?

Hockey players Vs. MLB girls:

http://www.sportstvj...-are-tough.html

Edited by alphseeker

In all seriousness Ricky, you only live once. When it's all said and done, all that we are left with is our memories. Those can never be taken away. If you can afford to drop $1050 on a pair of tickets, you do it, and savor the moment. :haz:

Just don't buy Game 6 tickets...since that will be the day of the parade in Chicago...

• Like 1

You mean unlike the girls in MLB who sit on the DL for turf toe?

Hockey players Vs. MLB girls:

http://www.sportstvj...-are-tough.html

Despite the fact the baseball is the only sport besides hockey I really enjoy anymore (and even then, only in the NHL offseason), this Texas Rangers injury tweet today fit too beautifully:

https://twitter.com/newbergreport/status/345649584804085760

"Of course. @aandro: Jeff Baker's thumb was hurt yesterday in pregame by overzealous teammate giving him high five. Bent thumb back to wrist."

Horton is purportedly probable for tonight. I frankly don't see how that's possible.

We'll see now how Seguin responds to the (likely) line change. He seemed to have a little more intensity Wednesday after Horton went down. Local columnist Steve Buckley is trying another method to light a fire under him apparently:

Buckley: It’s time for Tyler Seguin to get job done around net

Friday, June 14, 2013 -- Anonymous (not verified)

Boston Bruins Steve Buckley Sections: Saturday, June 15, 2013

Author(s):

Steve BuckleyXXXXX

CHICAGO — Nathan Horton skated with the Bruins yesterday afternoon at the United Center, which suggests his “upper body injury” sufficiently healed as to allow him to play in Game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals tonight.

Or, maybe he’s too banged up to suit up, and that yesterday’s practice was nothing more than Bruins coach Claude Julien playing some deep-dish, Chicago-style possum.

Either way, we can agree on this: It’s time for 21-year-old Tyler Seguin to put on his big-boy pants and play some big-time Stanley Cup hockey.

If Horton is out, it’s a chance for Seguin to bring his considerable talents to a line with David Krejci and Milan Lucic.

If Horton plays, Seguin can still help out simply by choosing this series to live up to all the hype that was flying around when the Bruins made him the second overall pick in the 2010 draft.

This is his chance to seize the moment, to make history, to become a certified, Grade A Boston sports legend.

That’s the way it works in Boston, isn’t it? You do something special to bring home a championship and doors are forever open for you. Hey, Tyler, just ask Tom Brady. Or David Ortiz. Or Tim Thomas.

These guys, and many others, own permanent, gold-embossed keys to the city because they delivered the postseason goods. And at long last, that’s what the Bruins are looking for from Tyler Seguin.

Now really, aren’t you a little sick of hearing how good Seguin can be? Aren’t you tired of seeing the occasional blasts of eye-popping brilliance that lead you to believe he has finally . . . arrived?

We kept thinking he was going to be The Kid.

So far, though, he’s just a kid. And maybe that’s where you want to cut him some slack, that he has a lot of growing to do, on and off the ice, and so on. But he has three NHL seasons on his resume. He scored 29 goals last year. Two years ago, in the Stanley Cup tourney, after being a healthy scratch for the first two rounds, he stepped in for a concussed Patrice Bergeron and scored a magnificent goal against the Tampa Bay Lighting. In Game 2, he had two goals and two assists — in one period.

So he’s capable of greatness, except that occasional greatness is not greatness at all. And perhaps that means we might be closing in on a revaluation of Tyler Seguin: Either he’s going to be one of the great ones, or, at the least, one of the very good ones, or he’s going to be just another guy who logs X number of seasons with the Bruins and then moves on.

It’s true that Seguin played well in the Bruins’ triple-overtime 4-3 loss to the Blackhawks in Game 1, except for the inconvenient truth that he didn’t score a goal. Julien liked what he saw to the degree that he’s been pumping Seguin’s tires, such as tossing this out a couple of days ago.

“He’s been skating well. To me right now, the only thing he needs to do is to be able to finish. If he can finish, it will certainly help his confidence, help our hockey club.”

“If he can finish” is hockey-speak for putting the puck in the net. And this point it not lost on Seguin.

“I feel like I had a ton of chances last game again,” he said. “I want to finish, and my team needs me to finish. I’m going to keep focusing on that in Game 2.”

And here’s the thing: If his own words mean anything, Seguin sounds like he’s as frustrated by his play as you are. And, again, he said so yesterday.

“Lot of chances,” he said. “You gotta find a way to score on those. There’s no excuses left anymore. It’s the Stanley Cup finals. You just gotta find a way.”

No excuses left?

Those are strong words. Really, really strong words. After his media session yesterday, I asked him what he meant by that.

“What are you trying to get at?” he asked.

“So what if you don’t score? What’s next after there are no excuses?”

“You gotta train hard during the offseason. You gotta train harder.”

“But you train hard in the offseason, right?”

“Of course. But you can never train hard enough, right?”

Except that with Seguin it’s not about training. And it’s not about the raw talent. God knows, he trains. God knows, he has talent.

What’s lacking beyond that?

With a Stanley Cup on the line, this would be a good time for Tyler Seguin to figure it out.

Source URL: http://bostonherald....job_done_around

Alain Vigneault to be named head coach of the New York Rangers.

Really good move for them IMO with all the talent on that team. AV demands defensive responsibility, but unlike Torts he isn't all about shot-blocking, hitting, and dump-and-chase. Really interested to see how Nash, Hagelin, Stepan, and Richards (if he isn't bought out) perform next season. He always managed to get the best out of his top offensive players in Vancouver. I wouldn't say he's the greatest at staying on good terms with his players or handling the media, but for NYR anything's an upgrade in that department right now.

We completely ran out of gas in OT. I don't understand why Quenneville refuses to put Toews with Kane together in the late stages of these games, knowing that most of our players are running on fumes and this thing has to be decided soon. After Bollig's mistake, we'll probably see Stalberg on Monday. I would even entertain bringing in Carcillo and Mayers because if some guys start to struggle in the 2nd and 3rd periods in Boston, it'll be a big problem. Some Hawks were unable to last after a two days rest and the next game is going to be played even sooner. The big question is how our D can ever recover. There's no back-up there.