As The Year Winds Down.....The Garden Is Track Of The Year

presto123

"The Garden" is my favourite on CA. It's just so epic, and overall, a tasteful composition. Anyone who has seen it will know just how epic it sounds live.

I saw it live and thought it came off completely lame. There was no life to it and it put the crowd to sleep, you couldn't even hear anyone singing along with it. Since it such a soft and quiet song you should be able to but it got nothing at my show. There was this power the studio version has that was missing in the live version. The song just didn't sound complete to me at my show, there was definitely something missing with it live.

Overall it's a good song but far from the best on the album. The first five songs, Seven Cities, Wreckers and Headlong all crush The Garden. I get why people love The Garden but I just don't get the same feeling from the song. I was hoping hearing it live would wake me up to the power so many claim this song possesses, but unfortunately it did not.

I agree with you, The Studio version of The Garden has more power than it did Live. I know what you mean. It still was a great song live but it did lack something. Maybe the tempo was slightly slower to allow Alex to play the keyboard part. Who knows it did seem to drag a bit Live in Tampa as well.

:goodone:

Been thinking about this one for a little bit today and I just came to the conclusion that it is unbridled Rush—it has fury, beauty, and great, great lyrics. The structure of the piece is just classic Rush...it takes me to Prog land over and over again.

"The Garden" is my favourite on CA. It's just so epic, and overall, a tasteful composition. Anyone who has seen it will know just how epic it sounds live.

I saw it live and thought it came off completely lame. There was no life to it and it put the crowd to sleep, you couldn't even hear anyone singing along with it. Since it such a soft and quiet song you should be able to but it got nothing at my show. There was this power the studio version has that was missing in the live version. The song just didn't sound complete to me at my show, there was definitely something missing with it live.

Overall it's a good song but far from the best on the album. The first five songs, Seven Cities, Wreckers and Headlong all crush The Garden. I get why people love The Garden but I just don't get the same feeling from the song. I was hoping hearing it live would wake me up to the power so many claim this song possesses, but unfortunately it did not.

I agree with you, The Studio version of The Garden has more power than it did Live. I know what you mean. It still was a great song live but it did lack something. Maybe the tempo was slightly slower to allow Alex to play the keyboard part. Who knows it did seem to drag a bit Live in Tampa as well.

Part of the problem may have been playing both The Garden and Halo Effect. It made for a very odd pacing in the set. They tore through those first six rocking songs in the set and then they slow it down with Halo, no problem there. Then they bring the pace back up by going into Seven Cities which is a monster song live, then they slow it down again right after that with The Garden? That may have been a big reason why it seemed so flat. It was placed in a very odd spot. You can't rock it out for six songs, slow it down for one, then rock out on the next song and then go back to slowing it down right away. It just didn't have a good feel to it paced out like that. Halo and Garden should've been rotated every other night.

Part of the problem may have been playing both The Garden and Halo Effect. It made for a very odd pacing in the set. They tore through those first six rocking songs in the set and then they slow it down with Halo, no problem there. Then they bring the pace back up by going into Seven Cities which is a monster song live, then they slow it down again right after that with The Garden? That may have been a big reason why it seemed so flat. It was placed in a very odd spot. You can't rock it out for six songs, slow it down for one, then rock out on the next song and then go back to slowing it down right away. It just didn't have a good feel to it paced out like that. Halo and Garden should've been rotated every other night.

They both came off very well at the three shows I saw. The Garden was spectacular.

The Anarchist wins for me.

actually, the one two three punch of the title track, anrchist and carnies is the best musical moment Rush has had in decades, both in the studio and live.

Yeah Live it was great! A testiment to the power of the album. The first nine tracks on the album, to me is pure genius.

:codger:

Edited by losingit2k

I would have to agree that Clockwork Angels and Headlong Flight are "better" and that just means I like them more, but what the Goober man said is true. The Garden is something that I suspect not even Rush themselves knew they were capable of. My best friend from high school called me the other day to tell me his mother had died. She was the cool mom we all wished we had back in the day and she was a big influence on my life. Her name was Mary and my friend used to always say that Let It Be with the "Mother Mary" bit made him think of his mother. When the song played at her funeral it hit me right in the chest. It made me think about the songs I want played at my own funeral. The first time I ever heard The Garden I knew it was on my list. I hope everybody likes it because when I'm gone that song will be played.

Song of the year? I'm not sure, but Clockwork Angels is the album of the year for me. The entire album as a whole is one of the best late period statements by just about anyone.

• Like 4

I would have been mad and felt cheated if they did that. I was already miffed that I saw two shows and still didn't catch Limelight.

But don't they do kind of the same thing with the album, going from the rather slow BU2B2, to Wish Them Well, and then back to slow with The Garden? I think the issue lies in how full the sound is. The orchestra plays a huge part in the emotion of The Garden, and I feel like the orchestra lacked the power to transfer this to live performances.

But don't they do kind of the same thing with the album, going from the rather slow BU2B2, to Wish Them Well, and then back to slow with The Garden? I think the issue lies in how full the sound is. The orchestra plays a huge part in the emotion of The Garden, and I feel like the orchestra lacked the power to transfer this to live performances.

That could've been it. There was certainly some power in the studio version that just didn't translate live. Maybe they used a much bigger string section in the studio and the small string ensemble they had live couldn't duplicate it.

That could've been it. There was certainly some power in the studio version that just didn't translate live. Maybe they used a much bigger string section in the studio and the small string ensemble they had live couldn't duplicate it.

I couldn't disagree with these sentiments more.

The Garden was fantastic at every show I saw - very raw and emotive with the strings adding just the perfect touch.

Honeybabysweetiedoll is the track of the year

I developed slightly more appreciation for The Garden when I heard it live, but I still don't quite grasp the whole SUCH A TOWERING ARTISTIC ACHIEVEMENT thing.

Although, drbirdsong, I must say that your remark about wanting to have it played at your funeral did help me understand that a little bit. Respect! :yes: :cheers:

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 1

great song but not my fav on the album, however live I thought it was really f*ckin good

I didnt pay much attention the crowd reaction, since it was the lawn (which is typically where the "casual fans" end up) there wasn't a ton of singing along to any of the new stuff

It's not even the Best song on CA imo

Correct...not even in my top half of the album personally. It is a nice song...but I don't find myself wanting to listen to it all that much.

Maybe I just prefer the heavier stuff personally...except for The Wreckers which gets heavily played and is to me, one of the best songs they've written.