Aerosmith vs Kiss

nappy2112

QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 24 2012, 04:58 AM)
QUOTE (Na na na @ Oct 24 2012, 10:49 PM)
Dynasty has one of my favourite Ace songs, Hard Times. This and Speedin`Back To My Baby are my top Ace songs... martini_shaken.gif

You're freaking me out now, I was just singing SBTMB unashamedly today! ohmy.gif ph34r.gif unsure.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

If Aerosmith had stopped after Pump, their entire body of work would stand up well. But, they didn't.

However, every Aerosmith release from the debut to Night In The Ruts beats anything Kiss ever released. IMHO, apologies to precious Kiss fans everywhere!

Rock In A Hard Place, DWM, Permanent Vacation all have their moments, but there's flab there too.

And PUMP is FABULOUS!

I shove my tongue

Right between your cheeks

I haven't made love now

For twenty-five weeks

I hear that your so tight

Your lovin' squeaks

And I'm ready, so ready.

That's poetry right there.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Oct 24 2012, 06:34 AM)
If Aerosmith had stopped after Pump, their entire body of work would stand up well. But, they didn't.

However, every Aerosmith release from the debut to Night In The Ruts beats anything Kiss ever released. IMHO, apologies to precious Kiss fans everywhere!

Rock In A Hard Place, DWM, Permanent Vacation all have their moments, but there's flab there too.

And PUMP is FABULOUS!

I shove my tongue
I haven't made love now
For twenty-five weeks
Your lovin' squeaks
And I'm ready, so ready.

"I knew these hookers down on 42nd street but, ah, ill gotten booty's not my style."

Good stuff.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 23 2012, 04:07 PM)
In fact Paul Stanley's playing probably beats Perry's...

Probably, especially when you factor the mental concentration of trying to sing and all that at the same time.

"He added, "When [the new AEROSMITH] album comes out, let's put [it side by side with ours and] let the music do the talking.""

I agree here. At least the new KISS albums sound like KISS albums that rock, not old lady feather boa-wearing albums that suck.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Oct 24 2012, 11:25 AM)
In fact Paul Stanley's playing probably beats Perry's...

Probably, especially when you factor the mental concentration of trying to sing and all that at the same time.

"He added, "When [the new AEROSMITH] album comes out, let's put [it side by side with ours and] let the music do the talking.""

I agree here. At least the new KISS albums sound like KISS albums that rock, not old lady feather boa-wearing albums that suck.

trink39.gif

1022.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Oct 24 2012, 05:34 AM)

And PUMP is FABULOUS!

I shove my tongue
I haven't made love now
For twenty-five weeks
Your lovin' squeaks
And I'm ready, so ready.

I do like Pump actually and I do like the first 6 Aerosmith albums a lot!

trink39.gif

1022.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 23 2012, 07:59 PM)
KISS >>>>>> Aerosmith

It's not even close. I always thought Aerosmith had 2 or 3 really good big hits, but they've always been pretty meh to me.

Kiss has tons of great songs. yes.gif : 1022.gif

I am a big Kiss fan but seriously...Toys in the attic, Get Your Wings, and Rocks are legendary albums. Not good albums, GREAT albums!

Both bands were great in the 70's.

Both bands had about 2 good albums in the 80's.

I like every album Kiss has released in the last 20 years and very little Aerosmith has done in that time.

Kiss > Aerosmith

I saw the Kiss / Aerosmith Tour and the Kiss / Motley Crue Tour and thought Kiss was weaker both times, but I've seen that show soooooo many times live and on videos that it's kinda unfair too them.

It's a bit late in the day for a KISS v Aerosmith rivalry.

Here's a little tidbit from way back in Creem magazine's Sept. '75 issue:

Perhaps the lack of press coverage comes from the fact that Aerosmith never identified themselves with any particular fan bandwagon, even though their first two albums were released at the peak of the glitter controversy. "We were doing makeup, glitter the year before in New Hampshire", says Perry. "We weren't wearing 14 inch platforms or anything. Our music was the main thing, though the show runs a close second. Kiss is the epitome of what we're talking about. Without their show, there's no go. I feel really sorry for them. I look at people in the circus, having to climb up some ladder every night. I wouldn't want to do that either. But Kiss is entertainment...they're just using rock 'n' roll as their format. We're looking at it from a different point of view."

Clearly Aerosmith for me. They had a pretty strong run until the '90s whereas Kiss began to decline in '76. I like the early Kiss stuff from when they were still a hungry, committed rock n roll band but even then they were never in Aerosmith's league. With Destroyer they strove for more variety while Aerosmith never really had to since they naturally possessed more of a musical and lyrical depth than Kiss. It's a shame Kiss didn't continue to pursue that path they had mapped out with Destroyer but they didn't and after that, for various reasons, they completely lost the plot and their edge and turned into a joke, churning out increasingly second rate and distinctly uninspired lowest common denominator drivel.