It's Not Amusing Anymore

Mr. Not

Sleep troubles... Three to four hours per night and i need more. When I'm not busy and have a full day off, I sleep through the entire day. I'd be perfectly fine with this whole nocturnal thing if I could simply catch more sleep - but I can't. Unless you work a night shift somewhere, you pretty much have to live a diurnal life since, well, society works that way. And by society I guess I mean the very nature of mankind.

I've been trying to get back to sleeping early but nothing works. I can only sleep once I'm completely exhausted physically and mentally. This time it will probably be not until 6 am and class is at 9... Oh boy. Advice? Medication would be a last resort, and I don't know whether this is insomnia or not, but I'm leaning on the "no, it isn't" side. I have access to melatonin and don't mind having that, it tastes good really... But it doesn't help much.

Edited by Mr. IsNot

Ironic considering this is coming from a guy who has had about 5 hours of sleep over the last two days, but here are some things I find make it easier to sleep (I always have a hard time getting to sleep before a test/exam or big assignment).

- When in bed, imagine a blank. Nothing else, just one massive blank leads to easy sleep. I find that if 100% of my brain power is focussed on conjuring an image of nothing I get to sleep pretty quick even on my most restless of nights.

- No computer, TV or anything that will get your blood flowing for at least an hour or two before sleep.

- Read a slow paced book while in bed like Dune or 2001: a space odyssey for about 15 minutes

Edited by USB Connector

Things I've tried that have worked:

Read a book you wouldn't normally read that you feel would totally bore you out of your mind. Fiction, Nonfiction - doesn't matter

Put the BBC News on the radio or tv and concentrate on the accent. It may lull you to sleep

CSPAN does wonders for people

White noise machine. Drowns everything out. A fan works too.

Eat a bowl of quaker oatmeal - the 5 minute kind, not the instant. with real milk and sugar. It's comfort food to me.

I actually have one of those night light toys for kids - I have a turtle that displays constellations on the ceiling. It is timed at 45 minutes and it glows it blue, amber or green. It's very funny when one of the cats is in the room, because they always go to it and sniff the turtle and a big giant cat head shadow appears on the ceiling laugh.gif

That's what I can think of for now. If I think of anymore, I'll be back schla03.gif

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Oct 10 2012, 10:03 AM)
Ironic considering this is coming from a guy who has had about 5 hours of sleep over the last two days, but here are some things I find make it easier to sleep (I always have a hard time getting to sleep before a test/exam or big assignment).

- When in bed, imagine a blank. Nothing else, just one massive blank leads to easy sleep. I find that if 100% of my brain power is focussed on conjuring an image of nothing I get to sleep pretty quick even on my most restless of nights.

- No computer, TV or anything that will get your blood flowing for at least an hour or two before sleep.

- Read a slow paced book while in bed like Dune or 2001: a space odyssey for about 15 minutes

Readings a good idea, but I always have a compulsion to then get on my laptop and take notes about what it is I am reading...

Thank you

QUOTE (librarian @ Oct 10 2012, 10:06 AM)
Things I've tried that have worked:

Read a book you wouldn't normally read that you feel would totally bore you out of your mind. Fiction, Nonfiction - doesn't matter

Put the BBC News on the radio or tv and concentrate on the accent. It may lull you to sleep

CSPAN does wonders for people

White noise machine. Drowns everything out. A fan works too.

Eat a bowl of quaker oatmeal - the 5 minute kind, not the instant. with real milk and sugar. It's comfort food to me.

I actually have one of those night light toys for kids - I have a turtle that displays constellations on the ceiling. It is timed at 45 minutes and it glows it blue, amber or green. It's very funny when one of the cats is in the room, because they always go to it and sniff the turtle and a big giant cat head shadow appears on the ceiling laugh.gif

That's what I can think of for now. If I think of anymore, I'll be back schla03.gif

laugh.gif Alright!

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Oct 10 2012, 12:17 PM)
There is always this.  wink.gif
http://www.marnyb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/vickscloseup-284x300.png

This works even better:

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s410/datura67/300_273163_zpsf88b7f4a.jpg

But beware of anterograde amnesia (sleep eating, sleep driving, etc.)

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Oct 10 2012, 11:47 AM)
A little bit is because of my schedule. Mainly though it's that I can't sleep. I got literally no sleep last night so I will probably get my 8 this time around tonight.

I used to suffer from insomnia when I was in school. I would study late and that kept my brain going. I think different things cause it but I would be leery of treating it with medication unless absolutely necessary. If you decide you need to Ambien works really well.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Oct 10 2012, 02:29 PM)
A little bit is because of my schedule. Mainly though it's that I can't sleep. I got literally no sleep last night so I will probably get my 8 this time around tonight.

I used to suffer from insomnia when I was in school. I would study late and that kept my brain going. I think different things cause it but I would be leery of treating it with medication unless absolutely necessary. If you decide you need to Ambien works really well.

Ambien works very well, but there can be some weird side effects. I experienced an episode of anterograde amnesia and haven't taken it in over two years.

I went to the local CVS in the middle of the night and spent more than a hundred dollars on things I would never otherwise purchase. I found the items on the dining room table the next morning, but had no memory of taking the trip (did I wear my pajamas?! unsure.gif ). If the charge hadn't appeared on my credit card statement I would have sworn I hadn't gone anywhere that night.

No more Ambien for me. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Oct 10 2012, 01:06 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Oct 10 2012, 10:03 AM)

Readings a good idea, but I always have a compulsion to then get on my laptop and take notes about what it is I am reading...

Thank you

You're welcome. I hope you can catch some shuteye.

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Oct 10 2012, 04:38 PM)
QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Oct 10 2012, 02:29 PM)

Ambien works very well, but there can be some weird side effects. I experienced an episode of anterograde amnesia and haven't taken it in over two years.

I went to the local CVS in the middle of the night and spent more than a hundred dollars on things I would never otherwise purchase. I found the items on the dining room table the next morning, but had no memory of taking the trip (did I wear my pajamas?! unsure.gif ). If the charge hadn't appeared on my credit card statement I would have sworn I hadn't gone anywhere that night.

No more Ambien for me. laugh.gif

Wow, interesting story. You must have been acting normal when you were in the store, otherwise if you were sleepwalking or acting strange i'm guessing the cops would've been called. If I was working at that store, you spending over 100 bucks at a CVS would've been my indication that something was wrong laugh.gif

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Oct 10 2012, 12:29 PM)

Ambien... Ambient smile.gif

Alright, good to know.

I would also love to get a decent night's sleep. My problem is I have such a stupid and erratic work schedule plus school so my body can't find time to relax. When I should be sleeping, Im active, thinking about the next day or things that are on my mind.

wacko.gif

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Oct 10 2012, 09:54 PM)
Drink one or two of these and you'll be out pretty soon with no side effects. And you feel fine when you wake up!

http://i.imgur.com/nGP5N.jpg

Except that you've probably wet the bed.

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 11 2012, 11:43 AM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Oct 10 2012, 09:54 PM)
Drink one or two of these and you'll be out pretty soon with no side effects. And you feel fine when you wake up!

http://i.imgur.com/nGP5N.jpg

Except that you've probably wet the bed.

Nope, never