rayrushray

For all the 10,000.00 fans on TRF that are elated with the bands set list decisions, there will be hundreds of thousand of fans not on TRF that are disappointed.

Make no mistake hard core fans, the casual fans sitting next to you that you deem unworthy, are the ones that allow Rush to still play in arenas rather than theaters.

5,500 to 6,000 fans in Pittsburgh may soon become the norm on this tour rather than the exception.

Like my opinion or not, the financial realities will soon set in.

I don't believe attendance will be a huge problem because of the setlist this tour. Most people who go to shows don't know what the set is before hand. Maybe five percent of the audience knows and that's about it. Since the tour has started and the bulk of the tickets for each show were sold before the setlist was even known, attendance won't be a problem for this North American run.

I can see the setlist they're playing right now having an effect on ticket sales for the next tour. Because there certainly are, and will continue to be a good number of fans, both diehard and casual, that may ge turned off by what they're playing and decide not to see them the next time Rush comes to town.

I disagree with you. Since they only do a minimal amount of shows each leg I think they will just cut those cities they dont sell well out. They're not playing Milwaukee this leg, those hard core fans will come down to Chicago, that is why most of the seats are sold for tomorrow night. Instead of playing Cincinnati, Columbus and Indianapolis they'll just play 2 of the cities. I agree the days of playing Moline, Toledo and Peoria are over.

Why does it matter how many seats are sold? As long as enough people are attending to make the tour feasible, who cares "how many" seats are filled or how many shows are "sold out."

If Paul McCartney isn't selling out ALL of his shows on this tour, I guess it's reasonable that a lot of other bands aren't also. Aerosmith, Kiss and Motley Crue aren't selling out, not did Van Halen or Iron Maiden last tour. But, who cares?

What I'm reading through your post is, "See, I told you do that people won't like this set list, so therefore they're letting the band know about it. I told you so, I told you so..."

Find a new subject... please.

QUOTE (rayrushray @ Sep 14 2012, 06:57 AM)
For all the 10,000.00 fans on TRF that are elated with the bands set list decisions, there will be hundreds of thousand of fans not on TRF that are disappointed.

Make no mistake hard core fans, the casual fans sitting next to you that you deem unworthy, are the ones that allow Rush to still play in arenas rather than theaters.

5,500 to 6,000 fans in Pittsburgh may soon become the norm on this tour rather than the exception.

Get over it, already 2.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ Sep 14 2012, 08:58 AM)

Get over it, already 2.gif

Yeah, "hardcore" fans bought tickets well in advance and are going to go regardless.

"casual fans" who will buy tickets closer to the show, or day of, probably won't even think to look on the internet to find out what the setlist is.

QUOTE (rocketom @ Sep 14 2012, 07:59 AM)
I disagree with you. Since they only do a minimal amount of shows each leg I think they will just cut those cities they dont sell well out. They're not playing Milwaukee this leg, those hard core fans will come down to Chicago, that is why most of the seats are sold for tomorrow night. Instead of playing Cincinnati, Columbus and Indianapolis they'll just play 2 of the cities. I agree the days of playing Moline, Toledo and Peoria are over.

Disagree. A place like Toledo (with a venue which holds about 7,500) is almost no-brainer: a 75 minute drive from Cleveland and from Detroit. There are easily 2,000 hardcore Rush fans in each of those cities who would make the drive, along with college kids (up to 1,000) and Toledo residents who don't get a good shot at big entertainment. like larger markets do.

IMHO, Youngstown wouldn't be similarly wise statistically, despite proximity to Pittsburgh after seeing the upper deck closed off @ Consol Tuesday night...

All that said, I wouldn't bank on a huge second full leg of this tour. Maybe 12-14 more cities.

I'm still surprised at all the complaining. RUSH is playing (most) of their "Quadrophenia" -- which is brilliant, written late in their career, as they're starting down the third base line toward home, to paraphrase Pratt -- and rarities that they feel they can do justice with.

We truly have been spoiled by these guys for a LONG time, we're lucky they came back in 2002 and we'll be lucky if we get an R40 tour before Pratt decides his body can't do it anymore, or he has a motorcycle accident and CANNOT continue... or Dirk decides his throat can't do it anymore, or Lerxst's sense of humor falls down the stairs and breaks its funny bone in 362 places.

Spare the synth, spoil the child. trink38.gif

QUOTE (Snaked @ Sep 14 2012, 10:47 AM)
Well over 80% are happy with the setlists if you look at the polls.
So, your figures are off a bit.

If you don't like what the band has chosen to play on this tour then just don't go. Nobody will miss you.

If you look at the polls here...from a bunch us rush geeks that like just about anything they do on stage (like farting into a mic). rofl3.gif then yes.gif

Guarantee if you poll everyone walking out of the arena after the show you'll get a lot of no.gif expressions.

I personally love the setlist choices. great changes for the most part.

The OP has a point tho

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 14 2012, 07:36 AM)
I don't believe attendance will be a huge problem because of the setlist this tour. Most people who go to shows don't know what the set is before hand. Maybe five percent of the audience knows and that's about it. Since the tour has started and the bulk of the tickets for each show were sold before the setlist was even known, attendance won't be a problem for this North American run.

I can see the setlist they're playing right now having an effect on ticket sales for the next tour. Because there certainly are, and will continue to be a good number of fans, both diehard and casual, that may ge turned off by what they're playing and decide not to see them the next time Rush comes to town.

Exactly! And even a great setlist for the casual fan will not help, as the casual fan won't be looking to know what the setlist is before purchasing. They'll just think, oh, last time I saw them they sucked. Or, last time I saw them there was no energy at the show (or there were no songs I liked).

Oh well. The boys are probably going to retire relatively soon anyway, so maybe this is their dream setlist of all the stuff they wanted to play but didn't feel like they could before.

I'm sorry that you didn't like the setlist. I'm sorry that other people didn't like the setlist. That said I honestly don't care what you think or what the casuals think. I doubt the band does either. This show is for the boys, and for us fans of all eras.

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Sep 14 2012, 02:25 PM)
Oh well. The boys are probably going to retire relatively soon anyway, so maybe this is their dream setlist of all the stuff they wanted to play but didn't feel like they could before.

I'm sorry that you didn't like the setlist. I'm sorry that other people didn't like the setlist. That said I honestly don't care what you think or what the casuals think. I doubt the band does either. This show is for the boys, and for us fans of all eras.

All eras except the Early Era, the Progressive Era, the Classic Era, and the Return to Guitar Era and the Modern Era (minus CA). All except those eras.

Listen, I like the setlist, but let's not get crazy in describing what it is.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/131/288/spongebob-butthurt.gif

Tickets still sold fairly well for the 2008 leg of S&A, even though many people were less than thrilled (to put it mildly) with THAT setlist. Sure, it had Natural Science, but it also had a shitload of S&A material.

Who cares? It's about time they did a tour just for us hardcore fans. Casual fans (those who only know Tom Sawyer and YYZ, etc.) need not apply. They stand there like statues and haven't done their homework, evidenced by the clueless look on their faces when a new song or a deep cut is played. There are plenty enough of us diehard Rush fans to pack the shows. More tickets for us! Rush is not a nostalgia band and I am glad of it! 1022.gif 2.gif

I don't like your opinion, I don't agree, and I think you're wrong.

I like all of Rush's music, from premiere through CA. I'm not too big on their long 70s "epics," but that's about it.

That you'd deem other Rush fans as "unworthy" because they happen to like their 80s music... what gives you the right to make that determination? How insulting.

You may have your opinion, and you can state your opinions, but don't state it as fact unless you got facts to back it up. And don't belittle other fans.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Sep 14 2012, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Sep 14 2012, 02:25 PM)

All eras except the Early Era, the Progressive Era, the Classic Era, and the Return to Guitar Era and the Modern Era (minus CA). All except those eras.

Listen, I like the setlist, but let's not get crazy in describing what it is.

Hey, I actually agree with you. The lack of variety in the set is it's big downfall.

What I meant was that the setlist isn't for people who only like one period. Even though I feel like there is not enough variety in the set, as a fan of all eras, I'm still able to enjoy the show.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 14 2012, 11:37 AM)
QUOTE (rayrushray @ Sep 14 2012, 03:12 PM)
I'm sorry......I forgot that I have to Pet all you folks and share your opinion.

No, you don't.

Maybe it's your delivery, the tone of your posts. Whatever it is, your posts make baby foxes cry.

Tone is a problem. The opening post is anger directed at us and none of us had any input on the setlist. I would make changes to it if I was allowed but I'm not.