September 11, 2001-2012

drbirdsong

What were you doing when you heard?

I think I was one of the last to find out. I was going to college and working a full eight hour day and just collapsed into bed as usually. My wife was working the night shift and we never got up back then until our daughter got home from school. She came in and I asked her how her day was and she said, "the Russians bombed New York." (She was only ten, and didn't quite get it what was going on.)

I did a big wtf.gif and turned on the TV. You know the rest.

http://nymag.com/news/articles/wtc/gallery/

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/flight...-223621080.html

14 years old, Freshman year of High School... it was going down during first period... didn't get wind of it until going into world history class second period... it was on the TV and the 2nd plane had just hit a minute or two before... watched the towers collapse.... Ill never forget that day.

I was working the night shift and did not get up til 1pm thus missing out on all the news. When I got up my Grandma informed me "America was attacked." It struck me as major as my Grandma never comments on news event and was thinking some sort of military attack. I recalled how odd that my Grandma would say that.

I turned on TV and the very first thing I saw was the replay of the 2nd plane hit on the South Tower...I was stunned and pretty much was glued to the television the rest of the day...

I was working the night shift at a mental health facility in downtown Portland, OR. At the exact time it happened I was getting ready to distribute meds to some of the clients in the main office/med room. One of my co-workers called me from downstairs (the med room was on the 4th floor). He told me to come down immediately but didn't explain why. Since his voice was more solemn and one of disbelief I didn't think it was an emergency but rather something like a client had committed suicide (a definite possibility at that work site). Anyway, I got downstairs to the lobby where 2 of my co-workers were watching (in silence) the events unfold with a few other clients who were already awake. After several minutes one of the clients (a paranoid schizophrenic) asked me, "Is this real?" I wasn't even sure myself but managed a "I think so." He then looked at me meekly and said, "I'm not going anywhere today. I don't feel safe." I just nodded and said, "Yeah, I understand."

I was at work. I remember a coworker came into my office and said a plane had hit the WTC. We couldn't get radio reception in our building then, and we had a single AOL account for the whole office. Information was limited. I called my wife who was out doing errands and asked her to turn on the car radio.

I sent everyone home and then closed up our office. I vividly remember walking to the subway station in Downtown Crossing on what is ordinarily a packed street (Washington St., for those of you familiar with downtown Boston). I was virtually alone.

rose.gif

We just bought our house, was at the house in the morning painting and ran out of some supplies. Ran to Home Depot and heard on the radio that they were evacuating Sears Tower. Had NO idea what was going on. Got to Home Depot and saw people gathered around a small TV. I walked up just as the second plane hit. I bought a flag for the house on that day. I went home and sat with my wife and daughter (she was 1 at the time)

I was in my third year of grad school, and a PA, in east TN

The past year I was living in Saudi Arabia working for the oil company on an international internship. I lived on a compound called Dhahran, heavily fortified and guarded. When one steps out of the compound anything could happen to you.

My internship ended on Aug 31st 2001 I think. I flew to Amsterdam for a week and then home. School started and life seemed fine. My wedding was on October 6th. So much to look forward to at the time.

When the planes hit and the news got out about the circumstances that day, the America I knew changed forever. The paranoia index is x1000 in America now. We live in a different world. Sad, but we have to recall where we were to relive the moment. It can never seem too distant a memory for us, or it will happen again.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

I remember it clearly, I was in grade 7 and home sick from school that day. As any sick young kid does they park their backside in front of the TV searching for something to watch, and it just happened that I came across the Fox station where I saw this man covered in dust running, and talking to a news reporter. At first, I thought it was a movie. Once I saw other stations covering the story, even SPORTS stations, I knew something was seriously wrong.

Then, I saw the second tower get hit and I was just so confused as was everyone else. Lots of emotions running through my head. Living in Canada (Southern Ontario) and hearing that the CN Tower, which is about an hour away from me, was being evacuated as a precaution it really made you think about what was going on at the time.

I will never forget that day.

Was in a brodcast class at Mt. San Antonio College (AKA Mt. SAC) in Walnut,CA. The teacher, local reporter on radio and tv, Tammy Trujillo, had a sub fill in that day because XM Radio launched that day and was about to go to a launch party in D.C.. By the time she got to the airport in Ontario,CA all flights were cancelled and we all know why.

I had a rock and roll history course that day in my 3rd year of college and the teacher was ok with us leaving the class since there was no real plan that day other than watching a live concert of Grateful Dead. I left.

Earlier that day, I actually saw the 2nd plane crash live before my eyes. It was like something out of Die Hard but real.