Neil's new solo *Spoiler*

ALifeson85

What do you guys think of Neil's new "electronic" solo?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What do you guys think of Neil's new "electronic" solo?

• It ROCKS!
    • Pretty cool
    • Eh, it's OK
    • Not a big fan
    • I hate all things Rush, yet I am a member of TRF, but I STILL must express my unexplained hatred towards anything Rush has done in the past 25 years...

I thought it was awesome! It had a techno dance vibe going on and reminded me of stuff I hear in college. The melodic percussion is really cool. I know some people will say that it's pansy-like or use other negative terms descriptions, but I find it to be great that he can continue to branch out and try different stuff. I like a wide range of music across all spectrums, so I can enjoy this as well as his other drum solos on this tour. Edited by GUP1771

Well, we know ReflectedLight and Geronimo or whatever the shit his name is can check the last one.

I love it, despite it not being creative. The first solo was basically leftovers from TMT. Secound solo was creative, somewhat, he still has a hard time letting go of composition. Third solo was the best.

Edited by D3strukt

I'm all for it. It is great to see them going unexpected on the setlist. I can just see Neil saying, "Since we're doing all this 80s stuff and nobody is expecting it then I think I'll split the drum solo up and play it all over the place. Now give my a drink of my favored single malt whiskey that I can't remember how to spell."

He really said that, I know it. wink.gif

I'm glad someone started this thread.

I respect Neil's decision to change things up, I really do. I mean, I can see how the "8 minute solo" as a staple can seem like just settling into a pattern - an easy spot in the setlist. A given, if you will - and the band may feel like the audience has been conditioned to what a Rush show is - a danger of it being too similar to the last one, and the one before.

I said in another thread, though that I do believe that plenty of "non fans" go to the show to see "the solo". Not just for that (as someone commented) but a big part of the decision to see Rush. I've said it to people myself - "go so you can see Neil play and experience an epic solo live - you will always remember it."

Anyway, I did not like the electronica that much, but I would have been much more ok with it if it had only been part of a solo, or stand alone but there was ALSO a significant acoustic drum solo.

Another thing - and this was a big letdown for me.

The first solo seemed too early. When it was short, I thought, that wasn't it - it will be later. Then the other two times, same thing, except eventually it became obvious that there would be no long acoustic solo. And that was disappointing.

Finally, my son was with me - he REALLY likes the solo and was looking forward to it. He starts drums this year.

All that said, he and I both enjoyed the show immensely and that's what counts, In The End.

I can't wait! The only thing better than 1 NP solo is 3! He is the reason I started playing drums, and I love how he broke them out. Part of it could be just due to the physical demands it takes. For those who don't play - drums are a physical instrument.

Oct. 30 cannot get here fast enough!!!!

QUOTE (GotPeart @ Sep 11 2012, 10:34 AM)
I can't wait! The only thing better than 1 NP solo is 3! He is the reason I started playing drums, and I love how he broke them out. Part of it could be just due to the physical demands it takes. For those who don't play - drums are a physical instrument.

Oct. 30 cannot get here fast enough!!!!

Great post!