Ok I'll specify my complaints

treeduck

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 8 2012, 02:02 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 8 2012, 06:23 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 8 2012, 01:20 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 8 2012, 06:13 PM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 8 2012, 11:09 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 8 2012, 10:30 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 8 2012, 03:19 PM)
Why not something like Cut to the Chase and alien Shore?

Because they're shit.

Your killing me hatchet man rofl3.gif

Sorry neither one of those songs are shit!

angry.gif

Pantomime roar from the audience:

OH YES THEY ARE!!!!

You're Irish mate so I'll excuse your stupidity!

tongue.gif

Says the man with more Irish blood in him than the Irish Blood Bank!

Two Irishmen were out duck-shooting. They had their guns and dogs and walked for hours with no success. Dropping into the pub on the way back they listened with envy to all the other hunters who had obviously been very successful.

"Where do you think we went wrong?" asked one.

His friend thought for a minute.

"You know, I think it must be that we're not throwing the dogs high enough."

laugh.gif

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 8 2012, 12:19 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 8 2012, 12:18 PM)
QUOTE (Koover @ Sep 8 2012, 12:08 PM)
QUOTE (Shredder2 @ Sep 8 2012, 10:49 AM)
I know what you mean, treeduck. Maybe they're saving their 70s staples for R40? confused13.gif That's my guess, but your complaints are purely valid for discussion.

New here, but LONG time fan. Been to so many Rush concerts I lost count.

While everyone has valid points and opinions, it's quite obvious to me that this set list is all about Ged's range an vocal ability at this time. I can't even fathom him singing "much" from the 70's anymore without sounding strained, nasally or just plain bad.

What about Cinderella Man? His vocals are pretty low on that song and even the high parts aren't all that high...

i was hoping for that one also.

That's one of my absolute faves and I completely agree with you. I can't ever remember hearing that live either. They do so many overdubs already that I wonder why they don't ever play this.

I only wish Geddy could belt it out like He used to, but I really do like ths set list a lot. I also almost feel like this show is for the diehards and ones who have followed them from their start and through the lean years in some circles of opinions. For me, there's never been lean years, but more experimentation then anything. Rush has always evolved in their sound and style. This is one of the things I love about this band......waiting for what comes next.

Edited by Koover

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 8 2012, 10:19 AM)
I've no problem with them doing lots of Clockwork Angels, we knew they were gonna do that and it's a very good album (but I would prefer Seven Cities to Halo Effect and BU2B to Wish Them Well). Or the Power Windows songs...though there's probably too many...

If they're giving some songs a rest why not give Working Man a rest and Tom Sawyer?

If they're doing songs not played for a while off GUP why not Kid Gloves or Afterimage?

Why play Bravado and Where's My Thing again? Why not something like Cut to the Chase and alien Shore?

There's nothing from A Farewell to Kings, nothing much from Permanent Waves, nothing from Hemispheres. In fact there's 1 song from the 70s...

Ok I'm nit picking maybe but this is just not my kind of setlist I suppose, too much from the mid 80s, & the same old 90s tracks and almost zero from the 70s...

trink38.gif

I agree.

Almost all of Clockwork Angels = no problem.

The ridiculous amount of Keyboard Era songs (1982-1991) = big problem. Where are the songs from '75-81? Tom Sawyer, Yyz, Spirit, and that's it???

A whopping 11 songs were from 1982-1991 (Signals to RTB).

Nine from the new album brings the song count to 20, and they played 25 total songs. Essentially, the concert was half CA and half Keyboard Era.

Edited by GeddyRulz

Why are most of you forgetting just how much Geddy's vocal range has degraded over the last decade? Do you really think they're a chance in hell at this point that he can sing ANYTHING from the '70s without sounding like total shit? That's probably why they went with the mid-range '80s stuff because Geddy knows he's strains and cracks and struggles on a lot of old songs now.

They should play A Farewell to Kings? Really?? Do you know how terrible that would sound now? Closer To The Heart has been pretty awkward and thankfully got shelved and The Trees and Red Barchetta sounded pretty bad last time around vocally. He's almost 60 guys and gals....he can't hit those notes anymore.

Edited by jnoble

QUOTE (jnoble @ Sep 8 2012, 03:06 PM)
Why are most of you forgetting just how much Geddy's vocal range has degraded over the last decade?  Do you really think they're a chance in hell at this point that he can sing ANYTHING from the '70s without sounding like total shit?  That's probably why they went with the mid-range '80s stuff because Geddy knows he's strains and cracks and struggles on a lot of old songs now.

They should play A Farewell to Kings? Really?? Do you know how terrible that would sound now? Closer To The Heart has been pretty awkward and thankfully got shelved and The Trees and Red Barchetta sounded pretty bad last time around vocally.  He's almost 60 guys and gals....he can't hit those notes anymore.

Realism for the win. I'd rather hear songs in a comfortable vocal range for him than all the straining and lack of enunciation he struggled with on the '70s stuff on the Time Machine tour.

It just so happens that I find the '80s gems they are pulling out to be brilliantly creative and impassioned songs that have been severely neglected live for years. It's a breath of fresh air. For those of you who hate the synth era, sorry for your loss.

QUOTE (devoidzer0 @ Sep 8 2012, 03:17 PM)

Realism for the win. I'd rather hear songs in a comfortable vocal range for him than all the straining and lack of enunciation he struggled with on the '70s stuff on the Time Machine tour.

It just so happens that I find the '80s gems they are pulling out to be brilliantly creative and impassioned songs that have been severely neglected live for years. It's a breath of fresh air. For those of you who hate the synth era, sorry for your loss.

I'm stoked that they finally resurrected Where's My Thing? I loved that song back when I was first getting into Rush circa 1992 and with the current heavier live sound it should sound awesome. I never understood the dislike for this gem that a lot on TRF have for it and why the band dropped it after only one tour.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Sep 8 2012, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (devoidzer0 @ Sep 8 2012, 03:17 PM)

Realism for the win.  I'd rather hear songs in a comfortable vocal range for him than all the straining and lack of enunciation he struggled with on the '70s stuff on the Time Machine tour. 

It just so happens that I find the '80s gems they are pulling out to be brilliantly creative and impassioned songs that have been severely neglected live for years.  It's a breath of fresh air.  For those of you who hate the synth era, sorry for your loss.

I'm stoked that they finally resurrected Where's My Thing? I loved that song back when I was first getting into Rush circa 1992 and with the current heavier live sound it should sound awesome. I never understood the dislike for this gem that a lot on TRF have for it and why the band dropped it after only one tour.

goodpost.gif Such an underrated little gem with a TON of jam potential.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 8 2012, 02:53 PM)
I've no problem with them doing lots of Clockwork Angels, we knew they were gonna do that and it's a very good album (but I would prefer Seven Cities to Halo Effect and BU2B to Wish Them Well). Or the Power Windows songs...though there's probably too many...

If they're giving some songs a rest why not give Working Man a rest and Tom Sawyer?

If they're doing songs not played for a while off GUP why not Kid Gloves or Afterimage?

Why play Bravado and Where's My Thing again? Why not something like Cut to the Chase and alien Shore?

There's nothing from A Farewell to Kings, nothing much from Permanent Waves, nothing from Hemispheres. In fact there's 1 song from the 70s...

Ok I'm nit picking maybe but this is just not my kind of setlist I suppose, too much from the mid 80s, & the same old 90s tracks and almost zero from the 70s...

trink38.gif

I agree.

The ridiculous amount of Keyboard Era songs (1982-1991) = big problem. Where are the songs from '75-81? Tom Sawyer, Yyz, Spirit, and that's it???

Nine from the new album brings the song count to 20, and they played 25 total songs. Essentially, the concert was half CA and half Keyboard Era.

Aye mate!

trink39.gif

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 8 2012, 04:43 PM)

trink38.gif

I agree.

Aye mate!

trink39.gif

trink38.gif

It seems quite strange to just ignore that era, and parade out Working Man...I mean why bother? I'm happy Freewil's getting a break.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 8 2012, 01:15 PM)
I know there is a contingent of fans who diss the 80s material, but it's still valid material.

That's what I kept telling myself. "Hey, these were Rush albums, too! Don't forget that!" But it didn't change the fact that half the concert was the new album and the other half was songs I don't particularly care for, from albums near the bottom of Rush's catalog.

Those albums and songs ARE valid. But it's better to play "excellent" albums and songs than just "valid" ones, isn't it?

I'm not in the habit of bashing Rush's chosen setlist, but this time - after 14 shows - it's warranted.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 8 2012, 04:52 PM)

trink38.gif

I agree.

Aye mate!

trink39.gif

trink38.gif

It seems quite strange to just ignore that era, and parade out Working Man...I mean why bother? I'm happy Freewil's getting a break.

And I'm sure they said somewhere that they were going to play some of the old classics they hadn't played for ages. By "old" they must have just meant 1984-85...

I also think the haters of the Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows era who didn't see the show, or were not around, into Rush might appreciate it more live back then and from what I see in these vids and bytes really well played songs. If you did see them play these back then and still hate them then I'll echo what somebody else said here. "Sorry for your loss"

Seriously I look at some these songs as parallel or relevant to whats going on the World right now. Whether Rush is thinking this or just coincidence doesn't matter. I think it's great we're getting to hear any Rush in 2012. Territories. Worked then and is definitely working now on social level as well as World stage. Manhattan Project. Written during the "Cold War" still seems relevant and stills seems like there's plenty freezing on the political front, and the wars going on right now might be more hot than cold but still a cold war. Body Electric. Look what's happening to us all in the Digital World. We may find ourselves panicking for 1-0-0 1-0-0 1-SOS sooner than we can see Rush play this song ever again.

Well I suppose I'm typing too much. I'm still looking forward to seeing the show despite spoiler alerts and some things I thought initially as a negative experience. To the guy who is selling his Tampa tickets you should go anyway. Don't judge the show from us all wanking on a forum. You may just be surprised.

trink39.gif

Edited by jonnyj

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 8 2012, 04:56 PM)

trink38.gif

I agree.

Aye mate!

trink39.gif

trink38.gif

And I'm sure they said somewhere that they were going to play some of the old classics they hadn't played for ages. By "old" they must have just meant 1984-85...

Isn't that kinda old? 30 years dude...just sayin

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 8 2012, 05:19 PM)

trink38.gif

I agree.

Aye mate!

trink39.gif

trink38.gif

LOL...exactly. Everyone seems to consider post Moving Pictures Rush "new Rush".

I would say playing 10 songs from albums roughly 30 years old would be considered focusing on older material

Good point, 30 years ago is definitely older material, will be great to hear these 80's songs in a 2012 live environment (the 80's stuff they have done live in recent times (eg Between the Wheels, The Pass etc) has sounded great. Nice to see Limelight was there as well, sounds like due to the late start it was the one to miss out from the encore... Excellent set list...

QUOTE (DBJetsman @ Sep 8 2012, 10:48 AM)
Where's my Thing is awesome! I'm excited to hear that one. I'm still confused why they're playing 4 songs from such a mediocre album (PoW) and they're not playing Marathon. I hope they play the leaked setlist since there were 6 songs I would've loved to hear from it....

I am only speculating but it may have to do with Marathon being played on the last tour.

Yeah, what they played was "old," but the problem is the very small window they selected the "old" songs from. Eleven songs, or roughly half the setlist, were songs from a nine-year period (1982-1991). And a nine-year period which most of us feel was the worst time in their long career!

Put another way... let's eliminate the nine songs from the newest album and look at just the "older" songs they played. Of the 16 non-CA songs they played, eleven of them (almost 70%) were from 1982-1991! Seventy percent of the old songs were from the Keyboard Era! Meanwhile, long stretches (BETTER periods) of their career were completely ignored: nothing was played from FBN through Hemispheres, only one song from PeW, and nothing was played from CP, T4E, and VT.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 8 2012, 05:55 PM)
Yeah, what they played was "old," but the problem is the very small window they selected the "old" songs from. Eleven songs, or roughly half the setlist, were songs from a nine-year period (1982-1991). And a nine-year period which most of us feel was the worst time in their long career!

Put another way... let's eliminate the nine songs from the newest album and look at just the "older" songs they played. Of the 16 non-CA songs they played, eleven of them (almost 70%) were from 1982-1991! Seventy percent of the old songs were from the Keyboard Era! Meanwhile, long stretches (BETTER periods) of their career were completely ignored: nothing was played from FBN through Hemispheres, only one song from PeW, and nothing was played from CP, T4E, and VT.

Agreed. I'm not particularly bummed out that I missed being at the show last night.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Sep 8 2012, 05:27 PM)

trink38.gif

I agree.

Aye mate!

trink39.gif

trink38.gif

I would say playing 10 songs from albums roughly 30 years old would be considered focusing on older material

Not when you start off getting into the band with Permanent Waves as the newest album, GUP still seems like a new one to me... wink.gif

Yeah a total of 2 songs from CP, T4E, VT and S&A...

And just 2 songs from Rush, FBN, COS, 2112, AFTK, Hemispheres and PeW.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 8 2012, 05:24 PM)
Yeah, what they played was "old," but the problem is the very small window they selected the "old" songs from.  Eleven songs, or roughly half the setlist, were songs from a nine-year period (1982-1991).  And a nine-year period which most of us feel was the worst time in their long career!

Put another way... let's eliminate the nine songs from the newest album and look at just the "older" songs they played.  Of the 16 non-CA songs they played, eleven of them (almost 70%) were from 1982-1991!  Seventy percent of the old songs were from the Keyboard Era!  Meanwhile, long stretches (BETTER periods) of their career were completely ignored: nothing was played from FBN through Hemispheres, only one song from PeW, and nothing was played from CP, T4E, and VT.

Yeah a total of 2 songs from CP, T4E, VT and S&A...

0 would've been better...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 8 2012, 06:20 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Sep 8 2012, 05:27 PM)

trink38.gif

I agree.

Aye mate!

trink39.gif

trink38.gif

Not when you start off getting into the band with Permanent Waves as the newest album, GUP still seems like a new one to me... wink.gif

Wow I wasn't even born yet...you are old school...not a bad thing Duckman. How can we appeal to the band to get them off this catastrophic path? Let's start a petition laugh.gif

QUOTE (Koover @ Sep 8 2012, 12:08 PM)
QUOTE (Shredder2 @ Sep 8 2012, 10:49 AM)
I know what you mean, treeduck. Maybe they're saving their 70s staples for R40? confused13.gif That's my guess, but your complaints are purely valid for discussion.

New here, but LONG time fan. Been to so many Rush concerts I lost count.

While everyone has valid points and opinions, it's quite obvious to me that this set list is all about Ged's range an vocal ability at this time. I can't even fathom him singing "much" from the 70's anymore without sounding strained, nasally or just plain bad.

Hm...

Yeah. I can't imagine him singing much songs from the 70s any longer...

Good point. For me personally though Clockwork Angels I enjoyed a lot more than CP, T4E and VT so of their "later period" I'm happy that it's a good 50 minutes worth of the setlist at the expense of mid 90's - 00's tunes. I really love CA though, so that may be a bit biased, having said that they are trying to promote the new album, so something had to give.

Again whilst I love the 70's material I can understand Geddy not being able to sing that high now, and again CA is more 70's in style so I'm happy there.

The 80's is a period that I've really been enjoying the later live versions of (eg Between the Wheels, The Pass etc live from 2004, 2002 etc) so to get these in a 2012 context / production is I think really good and the youtube clips so far sound brilliant.

For the casual fan I think that the 6 (Subdivisions, Big Money, YYZ, Working Man, Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio) was a good selection (7 if Limelight had made it as well, which from I've read it would have had there not been a late start).

All in all a really great set list I think.

Edited by Duke1

Quoting "jonnyj"Seriously I look at some these songs as parallel or relevant to whats going on the World right now. Whether Rush is thinking this or just coincidence doesn't matter. I think it's great we're getting to hear any Rush in 2012. Territories. Worked then and is definitely working now on social level as well as World stage. Manhattan Project. Written during the "Cold War" still seems relevant and stills seems like there's plenty freezing on the political front, and the wars going on right now might be more hot than cold but still a cold war. Body Electric. Look what's happening to us all in the Digital World. We may find ourselves panicking for 1-0-0 1-0-0 1-SOS sooner than we can see Rush play this song ever again."

Bingo, I thought of this exact thing last night and made a chart based on the setlist with their song meanings,and yes there is a very strong undercurrent of humanism vs transhumanisim (i.e humans merging with machines) war and staying true to yourself.

I am a researcher,radio talk show host and documentary filmmaker and I can tell you the world is coming to a place where sci-fi is becoming real life,and we all are going to be faced with that dichotomy of humans vs machines and the dilemma of what you give up when you become immersed in technology mind body and soul.

This combined with the steampunk theme which is a different world of technology tells me that yes this setlist is designed to speak to you if you have the eyes to see and ears to hear.

i actually like this setlist now that this has come to light.

Here is my theme chart for the setlist(drawn from the bands own words in almost every case let's not start an argument over the disagreements of song meanings here i understand songs mean different things to different people) this is just simply to make the point of the setlist

theme.

1.-conformity and how it is seen as "normal"

2.-the power of the rich

3.-overcoming obstacles and accepting failure

4.-the power of materiality vs the expression of the soul

5-Machines having feelings(souls)

6-how countries and states divide humanity(travel)

7.-Longing for a bygone era

8.-action without attachment to outcome

9-instrumental

10-the road to hell is paved with good intentions

11.the youthful and idealistic excitement of seeing the world for the first time

12.machines worshiped as gods

13.wanting for the things one lacks in life

14.the carnival as a metaphor for life(game of chance)

15.-what we think is our savior can sometimes be our doom.

16.-reflection on the past

17-projecting who you want someone to be on them and being disappointed when they aren't that person

18.-letting go

19-the summation of what is really important in life in the end

20-the creation of the first atomic bomb

21-the horror of holocaust concentration camps.

22-Morse code for Toronto airport(travel)

23-the plight of the blue collar person

24-the non conformist spirit of youth

25.-purity of music vs the commercial and sales potential of it,staying true to yourself

People didn't know for years Neil's solos were telling a story(the history of drumming etc) and I think that the lack of a full drum solo may also reflect this new setlist storytelling.

Edited by dayglow76