Name TV shows that went on too long...

laughedatbytime

The Office should have ended with Michael Scott's departure.

Scrubs should have never had their last two or three seasons.

Cheers' last two seasons were relatively abysmal.

How I Met Your Mother is starting to wear out.

QUOTE (Amy Farrah Fowler @ Aug 26 2012, 07:39 PM)
The Office should have ended with Michael Scott's departure.
Scrubs should have never had their last two or three seasons.
Cheers' last two seasons were relatively abysmal.
How I Met Your Mother is starting to wear out.

Actually I thought season 8 of Scrubs was very good. It had the same feel to it that the first few seasons had. Season 6 was very hit and miss and season 7 was hurt by the writers strike. Season 9 had some OK moments but there really wasn't a reason to make it. If the show had ended after season 5 though, I think it would've ended on a pretty good note.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Aug 25 2012, 07:41 PM)
MTV  new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif  new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

When it stopped broadcasting music videos, the entire network should have been shut down.

Once they started playing teen pop and douchebag rock in the late 90s and stopped playing good music regardless of genre, they lost me.

As far as networks go, Showtime has pissed me off in terms of movies. Yes, I'm glad that they've now got shows to compete with HBO now but their movie selection is mostly direct to video mediocrity since they let Paramount,MGM and Lionsgate go to create Epix.

Nice, and surprised, to see them recently start playing old Universal movies, though. They haven't played anything from Universal since the early 90s.

Edited by invisible airwave

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 27 2012, 08:23 AM)

"Survivor" should have lasted no more than about 4 seasons.

"All in the Family" after Mike and Gloria left.

I wouldn't have said so back then, but "Happy Days" should have ended once Donny Most (Ralph Malph) and Ron Howard left. The show no longer looked like a period show. They wore 80s fashions when it was supposed to be the early 60s.

"Charlie's Angels" should have stopped once Kate Jackson (Sabrina Duncan) quit.

"Brady Bunch" after the fourth season. There were five seasons total.

Survivor: should've never been created waffen093.gif

All in the Family: totally agree with you yes.gif

Happy Days: agree with you...though I think it could've ended even a LITTLE bit sooner yes.gif

Charlie's Angels: disagree. I NEEDED to see Cheryl Ladd in her bikini top at the beginning of each show. tongue.gif

Brady Bunch: The earlier episodes were the better ones for sure. HOWEVER, it was still the Brady Bunch (i.e. corny x 100) so it didn't really matter what it did imho. I did secretly wish for an episode where Tiger goes "Cujo" and mauls cousin Oliver in the backyard. firedevil.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 27 2012, 01:39 AM)

I wouldn't have said so back then, but "Happy Days" should have ended once Donny Most (Ralph Malph) and Ron Howard left. The show no longer looked like a period show. They wore 80s fashions when it was supposed to be the early 60s.

Happy Days: agree with you...though I think it could've ended even a LITTLE bit sooner yes.gif

Charlie's Angels: disagree. I NEEDED to see Cheryl Ladd in her bikini top at the beginning of each show. tongue.gif

Brady Bunch: The earlier episodes were the better ones for sure. HOWEVER, it was still the Brady Bunch (i.e. corny x 100) so it didn't really matter what it did imho. I did secretly wish for an episode where Tiger goes "Cujo" and mauls cousin Oliver in the backyard. firedevil.gif

Cheryl Ladd was in seasons two and three so you wouldn't have missed that! Kate Jackson had been replaced by Tiffany for season four, and then Julie for sEason five.

Good Times probably should have been cancelled after Esther Rolle left after season 3.

Oh, and I agree with comment about Cujo attacking cousing Oliver! 1022.gif

The actor that played Oliver went on to play Ted Baxter's adopted son on The Mary Tyler Moore Show. I have that season and he is just as irritating as he was as Oliver.

I think the Golden Girls probably could have dropped after season 4. After that, they got new writers for the series and the remaining seasons began to be too silly. Even Bea Arthur decided to leave the show because she was tired of it.

Edited by circumstantial tree

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Aug 27 2012, 08:47 PM)
Dexter

Last two seasons were awful and Quinn gets on my nerves more and more as each season starts. Someone kill that prick off, already.

The writers have just been killing time this last two seasons. I believe what happened in the last scene of last season is what they've wanted to do for awhile now. I think the show is gonna get pretty interesting again because of that. The last two seasons weren't that good, but they were needed in order to set up that Dexter was getting more and sloppy with his kills. If there's one thing the writers have done right the last two seasons, it's been that.

Little House On The Prarie.

I think the only reason I took up reading and music is because whenever this show came I on I ran screaming from the family room. Back in those days we only had three channels so Mom and Dad were in control and the kids were the remote.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Aug 27 2012, 11:01 PM)

I think the only reason I took up reading and music is because whenever this show came I on I ran screaming from the family room. Back in those days we only had three channels so Mom and Dad were in control and the kids were the remote.

It's funny that you mentioned that show! Same here; I had no control of the TV programs that I watched in the 70's.

Sincc I collect old things, I recently saw and purchased the complete box set of the show at Sam's Club and started to watch the DVD's. OMG!!

Actually, not as 062802puke_prv.gif -inducing as you might think many years later. Should be mandatory viewing now; maybe it would change a few mindsets....same problems both then and today in some fashion. Hard work does play off...

laugh.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

cheer.gif common001.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (rushfanforever! @ Aug 28 2012, 12:05 AM)

I think the only reason I took up reading and music is because whenever this show came I on I ran screaming from the family room.  Back in those days we only had three channels so Mom and Dad were in control and the kids were the remote.

It's funny that you mentioned that show! Same here; I had no control of the TV programs that I watched in the 70's.

Sincc I collect old things, I recently saw and purchased the complete box set of the show at Sam's Club and started to watch the DVD's. OMG!!

Actually, not as 062802puke_prv.gif -inducing as you might think many years later. Should be mandatory viewing now; maybe it would change a few mindsets....same problems both then and today in some fashion. Hard work does play off...

Yeah, I'm sure most of it wasn't as bad as I remember. We did get to watch Love American Style (Ooooooh, it seemed so dirty) and The Six Million Dollar Man.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 28 2012, 12:46 AM)

Cheryl Ladd was in seasons two and three so you wouldn't have missed that! Kate Jackson had been replaced by Tiffany for season four, and then Julie for sEason five.

Good Times probably should have been cancelled after Esther Rolle left after season 3.

Then Cheryl Ladd replaced Farrah, yeah? With all that flesh I forget who they were and what their faces looked like. tongue.gif

I don't even remember Tiffany and Julie...unless you're referrring to the characters' names. I remember Shelly Hack and Tanya Roberts in the later half of the series.

I forgot about Esther Rolle leaving Good Times too. Basically, I thought the show was only good when James (the father) was still alive & pre-Janet "Penny" Jackson and all that.

QUOTE (rushfanforever! @ Aug 28 2012, 01:05 AM)

I think the only reason I took up reading and music is because whenever this show came I on I ran screaming from the family room.  Back in those days we only had three channels so Mom and Dad were in control and the kids were the remote.

I had the same problem...I have vivid memories of a fight I had with my sister over what we were gonna watch. I wanted The Six Million Dollar Man, she wanted Little House....we watched Little House. fists crying.gif

QUOTE (rushfanforever! @ Aug 28 2012, 01:05 AM)

My kids LOVE watching Prairie and The Brady Bunch. smile.gif They started watching The Munsters, too. Ah, the classics!

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 28 2012, 02:33 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 28 2012, 12:46 AM)

Then Cheryl Ladd replaced Farrah, yeah? With all that flesh I forget who they were and what their faces looked like. tongue.gif

I don't even remember Tiffany and Julie...unless you're referrring to the characters' names. I remember Shelly Hack and Tanya Roberts in the later half of the series.

I forgot about Esther Rolle leaving Good Times too. Basically, I thought the show was only good when James (the father) was still alive & pre-Janet "Penny" Jackson and all that.

yes, Cheryl Ladd replaced Farrah Fawcett in the second season and remained with the show for the rest of its duration.

Kate Jackson ("Sabrina") was on the first three seasons (out of the five).

Shelly Hack ("Tiffany") replaced Kate Jackson for season 4.

And then Tanya Roberts ("Julie") replaced Shelly Hack for season 5.

Kate Jackson rounded out the cast as being the smart one. Her two replacements didn't have any particular aspect to their characters. So when Kate left, the diversity of the three women seemed to go as well.

As far as Good Times, there were some decent episodes after Esther Rolle left, but they were spotty. I did really like the episodes involving Penny and the child abuse storyline. Who can forget the scene when her mother was coming toward her with a hot iron? That scene stayed with me.

Norman Lear sitcoms grew less popular anyway in the late 70s. ABC shows started to gain in popularity, many of which were Aaron Spelling shows that played more into people's fantasies - like Love Boat, Fantasy Island, and Charlie's Angels.

For the record, I liked "Little House on the Prairie", although Laura Ingalls started to grate on my nerves a bit. I always preferred stories revolving around Mary Ingalls, such as when she went blind in a two part episode and she ultimately went to teach at a blind children's school.