Name TV shows that went on too long...

laughedatbytime

The Dukes of Hazzard. Coy and Vance could just not fill the shoes of Bo and Luke. To think they could is the height of arrogance.

The Simpsons. That show needed to be put out of it's misery years ago and I say that as someone who grew up with it and used to love it. sad.gif

QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Aug 25 2012, 04:58 PM)
The Simpsons. That show needed to be put out of it's misery years ago and I say that as someone who grew up with it and used to love it. sad.gif

How has it changed for the worse? I haven't seen it lately?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 25 2012, 05:00 PM)
The Simpsons. That show needed to be put out of it's misery years ago and I say that as someone who grew up with it and used to love it.  sad.gif

It's just become a Fox cash cow and tie in for other Fox product regarding the Glee and American Idol themed episodes. Oh, and Bieber will be a guest voice. They're just pandering to the Kartrashian/Twilight/Disney generation now.

MTV new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

When it stopped broadcasting music videos, the entire network should have been shut down.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Aug 25 2012, 07:41 PM)
MTV new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

When it stopped broadcasting music videos, the entire network should have been shut down.

What do they broadcast then if not music videos? I thought MTV was music videos and not much else... confused13.gif

Stargate SG-1: The last two seasons came out of nowhere and the antagonists were just "let's take all of the old bad guys, give them a new face and make them more powerful". Also, it's like there was a warning about the crap writing. In one of the first episodes of season 9 someone says that they're moving all of the most valuable resources from SG-1 to Atlantis.

The Big Bang Theory: They went and turned the show into a teen soap opera about girlfriends and relationships. What happened to 4 stereotypical nerds and a ton of science jokes?

Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Aug 25 2012, 08:03 PM)
The Big Bang Theory: They went and turned the show into a teen soap opera about girlfriends and relationships. What happened to 4 stereotypical nerds and a ton of science jokes?

It's called storyline and character developement which is one of the keys to longevity of a TV show. The four nerds making science jokes is great and the show still does that but it would've gotten incredible boring if that's all they did. I actually like the progression of the show, it shows that sometimes the geeks do get the girls.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Aug 25 2012, 09:35 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Aug 25 2012, 08:03 PM)

It's called storyline and character developement which is one of the keys to longevity of a TV show. The four nerds making science jokes is great and the show still does that but it would've gotten incredible boring if that's all they did. I actually like the progression of the show, it shows that sometimes the geeks do get the girls.

I found the appeal in the absurdity of adhering to the stereotypes. I wouldn't mind the characters evolving but they just dropped everything that makes the show unique in the last half of the current season. Now it's a generic sitcom with an overbearing laugh track.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 25 2012, 06:00 PM)
The Simpsons. That show needed to be put out of it's misery years ago and I say that as someone who grew up with it and used to love it.  sad.gif

It's simply not as funny and consistent as it was. Still, at its best it's among the best television ever. I'll always love The Simpsons, even though I haven't watched it in a decade.

QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Aug 25 2012, 10:58 PM)

Watched it years back. Felt it lost the plot.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 26 2012, 02:28 PM)
CSI and the multitude of CSI spin-offs...

I guess I should have specified that these shows needed to be good to great in the first place.

Or else Two and a Half Men would be near the top of the list.

"Two and a Half Men"...because it's trash.

"ER" was on a little too long. Once many of the principle cast members left, they should have ended the show.

"The Waltons" was pretty good until they entered World War 1 in the storylines so it should have ended before entering into that phase of history.

"Survivor" should have lasted no more than about 4 seasons.

"All in the Family" after Mike and Gloria left.

"Hawaii Five 0" (original series) should have ended after season 10 when Danno and Chin Ho were written out of the show.

I wouldn't have said so back then, but "Happy Days" should have ended once Donny Most (Ralph Malph) and Ron Howard left. The show no longer looked like a period show. They wore 80s fashions when it was supposed to be the early 60s.

"Charlie's Angels" should have stopped once Kate Jackson (Sabrina Duncan) quit.

"Brady Bunch" after the fourth season. There were five seasons total.