Snakes and Arrows Vs. Clockwork Angels

tommyali

Am I the only one on the planet? Too me, Snakes and Arrows is just a better album from start to finish. A beautiful album. I would put it in my top three all time Rush albums.

Don't get me wrong, Clockwork rocks. And at times rocks even harder than S&A. I mean, there's some pretty intense playing on it. But sometimes it seems to go a little too long. It drags. And some songs I'm just not crazy about. And I am a huge Rush fan, I've never disliked anything. But this one seems to have a little more bark than bite.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tommyali @ Aug 23 2012, 08:00 AM)
Am I the only one on the planet? Too me, Snakes and Arrows is just a better album from start to finish. A beautiful album. I would put it in my top three all time Rush albums.
Don't get me wrong, Clockwork rocks. And at times rocks even harder than S&A. I mean, there's some pretty intense playing on it. But sometimes it seems to go a little too long. It drags. And some songs I'm just not crazy about. And I am a huge Rush fan, I've never disliked anything. But this one seems to have a little more bark than bite.

welcome to TRF, you'll love it here. There's this guy, his name is Metaldad...that's his opinion too...any chance you get to talk Snakes and Arrows with him is worth it. A big advocate smile.gif

Like S&A a bunch and I'm still an ardent defender in light of the mass exodus of fans on this board who once seemed to like it and now don't. That said, Clockwork Angels is the better album. I'm really impressed they topped S&A and they did it with concept, aggressive, and melody. CA doesn't lessen S&A, however...it just helps enhance the latter's personality and fingerprint by being something completely different. I like that they didn't try to make a part II, and both albums benefit from that decision.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 23 2012, 09:23 AM)
Like S&A a bunch and I'm still an ardent defender in light of the mass exodus of fans on this board who once seemed to like it and now don't. That said, Clockwork Angels is the better album. I'm really impressed they topped S&A and they did it with concept, aggressive, and melody. CA doesn't lessen S&A, however...it just helps enhance the latter's personality and fingerprint by being something completely different. I like that they didn't try to make a part II, and both albums benefit from that decision.

I agree!

I think both albums are wonderful and will both give me much pleasure for many years to come yes.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 23 2012, 08:23 AM)

Agree, S & A was a great album with 9 solid songs on it. However, CA is much better by far! Its much more aggressive, focused, has a better tempo and it shows off their musicianship. S & A sputters and drags at times. CA showcases what S & A lacked. Clockwork Angels holds all the elements we have come to love about RUSH.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 23 2012, 08:33 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 23 2012, 08:23 AM)
Like S&A a bunch and I'm still an ardent defender in light of the mass exodus of fans on this board who once seemed to like it and now don't.  That said, Clockwork Angels is the better album.  I'm really impressed they topped S&A and they did it with concept, aggressive, and melody.  CA doesn't lessen S&A, however...it just helps enhance the latter's personality and fingerprint by being something completely different.  I like that they didn't try to make a part II, and both albums benefit from that decision.

Agree, S & A was a great album with 9 solid songs on it. However, CA is much better by far! Its much more aggressive, focused, has a better tempo and it shows off their musicianship. S & A sputters and drags at times. CA showcases what S & A lacked. Clockwork Angels holds all the elements we have come to love about RUSH.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I was just typing what you said rofl3.gif

goodpost.gif

As fans we did not imagine something of this magnitude.

trink39.gif

I love S&A WAY more. I thought the songwriting was better. I also loved the whole folky vibe. And the mix is light years beyond what followed. I've yet to discover the magic of CA....I think it's a huge step down. It all starts to blend together and by the end.....my ears are tired. I like about half of CA. When I reach for CA....I feel like....Ok.....here i go again. I really don't want to but i'm gonna try AGAIN....sigh. Which is always a great thought process when putting on an album. lol

I Just don't think CA warrants this kind of response....but it's all subjective.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

QUOTE (bluefox4000 @ Aug 23 2012, 09:03 AM)
I love S&A WAY more. I thought the songwriting was better. I also loved the whole folky vibe. And the mix is light years beyond what followed. I've yet to discover the magic of CA....I think it's a huge step down. It all starts to blend together and by the end.....my ears are tired. I like about half of CA. When I reach for CA....I feel like....Ok.....here i go again. I really don't want to but i'm gonna try AGAIN....sigh. Which is always a great thought process when putting on an album. lol

I Just don't think CA warrants this kind of response....but it's all subjective.

Mick

Boy I guess my above post is wrong. There's two of ya laugh.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Aug 23 2012, 09:10 AM)
QUOTE (bluefox4000 @ Aug 23 2012, 09:03 AM)
I love  S&A WAY more.  I thought the songwriting was better.  I also loved the whole folky vibe.  And the mix is light years beyond what followed.  I've yet to discover the magic of CA....I think it's a huge step down.  It all starts to blend together and by the end.....my ears are tired.  I like about half of CA.  When I reach for CA....I feel like....Ok.....here i go again.  I really don't want to but i'm gonna try AGAIN....sigh.  Which is always a great thought process when putting on an album.  lol

Mick

Boy I guess my above post is wrong. There's two of ya laugh.gif

trink39.gif

tongue.gif Proud of it. too trink39.gif

Mick

Am I the only one on the planet?

Its quite possible.

Snakes is an abomination. By far their worst album. Listening to it is a good laxative though. I guess that's something.

Welcome to the forum. smile.gif

Well thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I was afraid I was gonna piss some people off.

Bluefox4000, I agree with your feelings on S&A completely. Couldn't have said it better myself.

QUOTE (tommyali @ Aug 23 2012, 09:42 AM)
Well thanks for the warm welcome guys!
I was afraid I was gonna piss some people off.
Bluefox4000, I agree with your feelings on S&A completely. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Any time. we are in a minority, but that stuff never bothered me....I'm just interested to see if CA holds up in a year's time. m or if it's rep will go the way of S&A. People say no but i have my doubts.

Mick

Pound of Obscure

No grey area there!

I can't say there are any Rush albums I would call an abomination.

I probably wouldn't even be here if I felt that way.

QUOTE (tommyali @ Aug 23 2012, 09:48 AM)
Pound of Obscure

No grey area there!

I can't say there are any Rush albums I would call an abomination.
I probably wouldn't even be here if I felt that way.

biggrin.gif

My Lord its horrid. Sorry. Some like it alot. trink39.gif I don't get it. FarCry is good.

I pretend Snakes doesn't exist. It would be an ok Rascal Flatts album.

Edited by Pound of Obscure

To me, Snakes and Arrows is just a better album from start to finish. I would put it in my top three all time Rush albums.

You're demented, but welcome to the board.

Don't get me wrong, Clockwork rocks.  And at times rocks even harder than S&A.

"At times"??? That's all: "at times"??? Almost throughout the entire album!

It drags.

Yes, Snakes and Arrows certainly does. wink.gif

S&A is arguably the best Rush album, lyrically. Musically, it is mostly good There are some songs that suffer from poor songwriting motifs (Bravest Face). And some songs either drag or are only half up to the Rush par (Working Them Angels/Good News First, respectively).

I give it a 6.5 out of 10.

CA, however, is devoid of the mistakes that plague S&A (shoddy songwriting/dragging musically/half great songs). The lyrics are up to par as well. Plus, more is revealed through repeated listens, unlike S&A.

I give it a 8.5 out of 10.

653.gif

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Aug 23 2012, 09:40 AM)

Its quite possible.

Snakes is an abomination. By far their worst album. Listening to it is a good laxative though. I guess that's something.

You are an abomination

Sorry. I'm not drinking the cool-aid.

S&A is just a smarter, stronger, more sensible, well structured album.

CA has tracks that are long, almost just for the sake of being long. It could be heavily edited, and maybe I would feel different.

Glad to be here!!

It's just great to discuss Rush with Rush lovers wink.gif

I like Clockwork Angels a lot more. Begining to end it's just the better album with really only one very weak spot (BU2B2) When S&A came out it took me a handful of listens to like it but with CA I loved it immediately. S&A hasn't held up too well for me since it's release. The only songs I listen to off it regularly anymore are Far Cry, Armor & Sword and The Way The Wind Blows. Everything else doesn't do much for me now.

I guess the same could happen with the new album in a few years but this is the strongest album they've done since Counterparts, so I don't see that happening for me.

QUOTE (tommyali @ Aug 23 2012, 09:00 AM)

I still am a huge fan of S&A. That release was a true positive milestone for the band and was a fairly unique release.

I am still trying to get into CA as much as some fans here. Oh, well, maybe by next year I will see the glory of CA. It does in fact rock quite hard, but it gets tedious. I attribute much of that to the mix, which is a similar reason I don't get into Vapor Trails.

QUOTE (bluefox4000 @ Aug 23 2012, 10:03 AM)

Mick

goodpost.gif

Yup. I keep giving it that ole college try as a loyal fan.

Welcome . S&A is a baby diaper double stuffed with shit floating in a sea of mediocrity.

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Aug 23 2012, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Aug 23 2012, 09:40 AM)

Its quite possible.

You are an abomination

Child.