I met RUSH with PRESTO

My first "click" song was RED TIDE ohmy.gif

"This is not a false alarm, this is not a test"

I recall that as one of my greatest music moments

Later my ear could dive and enjoy the whole PRESTO

And then I was set on a quest to know RUSH

Ever since

I have been trying to get more of the "PRESTO effect"

Totally naive I went to a music shop asking for RUSH and someone put in my hand two audio cassetes...

SIGNALS and 2112

It has nothing to do with PRESTO, first time I played 2112 sound ackward to me, like mamas and papas stuff, back from 1976, It took some time to "understand" the epic simphony.

But SIGNALS caught me immediatly, and then I started joining the dots to have the whole picture of their discography.

I love the whole catalog, heart.gif But I guess I never got more PRESTO, that particular stage is the most special to me, that band, that moment, never happen again.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SUBDIVISIONS @ Aug 2 2012, 10:42 AM)
It was 1990 I was 17 years old old.gif
I met RUSH with PRESTO

My first "click" song was RED TIDE ohmy.gif

"This is not a false alarm, this is not a test"

I recall that as one of my greatest music moments

Later my ear could dive and enjoy the whole PRESTO

And then I was set on a quest to know RUSH

Ever since
I have been trying to get more of the "PRESTO effect"

Totally naive I went to a music shop asking for RUSH and someone put in my hand two audio cassetes...

SIGNALS and 2112

It has nothing to do with PRESTO, first time I played 2112 sound ackward to me, like mamas and papas stuff, back from 1976, It took some time to "understand" the epic simphony.

But SIGNALS caught me immediatly, and then I started joining the dots to have the whole picture of their discography.

I love the whole catalog, heart.gif But I guess I never got more PRESTO, that particular stage is the most special to me, that band, that moment, never happen again.

Very interesting post! I have always wondered what it would have been like for someone doing just what you described- being introduced through one of the PowW to Presto albums and then going back to the classic stuff.

Opposite for me, first Rush that hit me like a ton of bricks was hearing 2112 in 1977, Did not buy an album till MP (I did not buy any albums till leaving home- very strict family). Am ashamed to admit to feeling betrayed by PowW, am over it now. unsure.gif really.

Now, the fact that a single band can connect with fans who have such different tastes is a big part of teh awesomeness of it all.

I am trying to learn, and to be open minded, so don't flame me! But.. to be honest, there is a big part of me that just has a hard time accepting that PowW, HYF, Presto, or RTB could be someones first albums that allowed them to really connect to Rush.

And, maybe even worse, another part of me that can't believe these albums could form same level of connection that their earlier releases could.

*is ashamed, but is speaking from the heart*

Edited by Animate

QUOTE (Animate @ Aug 2 2012, 11:25 AM)
I am trying to learn, and to be open minded, so don't flame me! But.. to be honest, there is a big part of me that just has a hard time accepting that PowW, HYF, Presto, or RTB could be someones first albums that allowed them to really connect to Rush.

And, maybe even worse, another part of me that can't believe these albums could form same level of connection that their earlier releases could.

When I heard Presto

I thought this guys must be like "YES", or Supertramp, even like MR MR for Mr Lifeson look

I had no idea

But I never heard before such a finest rock, It was a serious project, looking the pictures seem so professional, like Music erudites.

They were no clowns for sure, no tatooed rock stars, no oldtimers like Phil Collins, this was sand from other costal

And trying to play it was...mmm...almost impossible, Superconductor drums is at 7/8

Show dont tell...the weirdest song to start an album

Next thing I knew I saw A show of hands in the big screen of a Discoteque before the show begins, and Geddy was opening his arms to play 2 keyboards at the end of Mission....thats the very first sight I had to them live and I was like oh my Lord...

ohmy.gif

My journey just began

My first introduction to Rush was RTB, which I liked immediately. I had heard of Rush but didn't really know anythign about them. When I heard people talk about the new Rush album in 1991, I thought they meant the Eric Clapton album: the soundtrack to the moview: Rush.

RTB became very popular, being played all over the radio, and my brother started listening to them. He got that and Exit Stage Left from a friend introducing him to the band. I liked both of those albums but didn't delve deeper into Rush for another year or two.

After that, I borrowed Chronicles and loved everything up through Subdivisions immediately. I didn't by the back catalog or anything like that (I was still poor), but I loved what I heard. I didn't like anything after it and didn't appreciate them for at least 10 years after that listen.

Two years after my Chornicles introducting a friend lent me 2112 and I was floored. I immediately sought out CoS, AFTK, and Hemispheres and just loved the power prog. I filled out my collection with Rush, FBN, PeW and MP over the next year or two.

It wasn't for several years later that I started accepting and appreciating the Synth Rush. Presto and Counterparts were the last of the back catolog for me, and they remain two of my least favorite albums.

When T4E came out I was deep into my love of pre Signals Rush, but still hadn't accepted synth Rush. But I enjoyed the album a lot. When VT came out I owned everything except for CP and Presto, but was already a deep Rush fan. By the time S&A came out, I even had an appreciation for CP and Presto, and truly liked all of Rush's work, even if some remains not as good as others.

I think I probably first heard Rush on the radio due to Tom Sawyer and Limelight and songs like that, and then later on I played YYZ on Guitar Hero and remembered how crazy the instrumentation was in that song. I honestly didn't think about buying any albums at that time really, but eventually I did and I ended up falling in love with them. I currently own all of their discography and a bunch of live DVDs. I am hoping to add more to my collection as well. trink39.gif 2.gif

1976. I was 14 years old and hanging at a friends house. I saw this album in his room that said Rush 2112. I said who are these guys?

He put it on and the rest is history.

Exit...Stage Left. My stepdad gave it to my sister, she never listened to it so I gave it a try. I recognized Tom Sawyer which made me want to listen to rest of the album. So I did and I loved every song. That was about 3 years ago.

QUOTE (jwoods89 @ Aug 2 2012, 12:25 PM)
I think I probably first heard Rush on the radio due to Tom Sawyer and Limelight and songs like that, and then later on I played YYZ on Guitar Hero and remembered how crazy the instrumentation was in that song. I honestly didn't think about buying any albums at that time really, but eventually I did and I ended up falling in love with them. I currently own all of their discography and a bunch of live DVDs. I am hoping to add more to my collection as well. trink39.gif 2.gif

I have the exact same story! laugh.gif

I specifically remember hearing TSOR on the radio a lot and the drum pattern would always be stuck in my head. This was before I even really knew who Rush was. Then came their tracks on Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and I eventually fell in love.

I actually just destroyed Tom Sawyer on drums on Rock Band on hard last night while drunk biggrin.gif

My older cousins were into Rush big time when I was younger. I thought they were so cool and wanted to be like them. I had always liked the song "Fly By Night", as it was in the regular rotation on rock station I listened to when I was 10. When I heard that FBN was Rush...I asked for the album for Christmas. The first time I heard Bytor and the Snowdog, I was hooked.

Shortly after that, Moving Pictures came out and I was completely smitten with Rush. wub.gif

I grew up with Rush and actively disliked them for many years. Then I went to a gig in 2007, and, in my biggest turnaround in 40 years of being a music fan, fell in love.

Late to the party but happy to be here, that's me!

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 2 2012, 02:07 PM)
I grew up with Rush and actively disliked them for many years. Then I went to a gig in 2007, and, in my biggest turnaround in 40 years of being a music fan, fell in love.

Great story.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 2 2012, 12:13 PM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 2 2012, 02:07 PM)
I grew up with Rush and actively disliked them for many years.  Then I went to a gig in 2007, and, in my biggest turnaround in 40 years of being a music fan, fell in love

Great story.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 2 2012, 01:37 PM)
All the World's A Stage and Permanent Waves early in 1980...

I can't remember now which was first, but I remember being astounded when I realised that both great albums were by the same band...

1022.gif

It was "Stage" and "Archives" for me. And then...Moving Pictures came out. ohmy.gif

QUOTE (SUBDIVISIONS @ Aug 2 2012, 11:54 AM)
QUOTE (Animate @ Aug 2 2012, 11:25 AM)
I am trying to learn, and to be open minded, so don't flame me! But..  to be honest, there is a big part of me that just has a hard time accepting that PowW, HYF, Presto, or RTB could be someones first albums that allowed them to really connect to Rush. 

When I heard Presto

I thought this guys must be like "YES", or Supertramp, even like MR MR for Mr Lifeson look

I had no idea

But I never heard before such a finest rock, It was a serious project, looking the pictures seem so professional, like Music erudites.

They were no clowns for sure, no tatooed rock stars, no oldtimers like Phil Collins, this was sand from other costal

And trying to play it was...mmm...almost impossible, Superconductor drums is at 7/8

Show dont tell...the weirdest song to start an album

Next thing I knew I saw A show of hands in the big screen of a Discoteque before the show begins, and Geddy was opening his arms to play 2 keyboards at the end of Mission....thats the very first sight I had to them live and I was like oh my Lord...

ohmy.gif

My journey just began

Reading stories like yours gives me confidence that in fact, it really is my own narrow-minded musical tastes that prevents me from fully embracing this era.

Although when VH1C plays the MTV video for Mystic Rhythms right after a Doobie Broth video, I do sort of relapse, a tad. wacko.gif I am so confused..... can PowW, HYF, Presto, RTB ever be the least bit cool or is itjust so not cool? wacko.gif

(granted, Neil is particularly cute in the MR MTV video- with the duck tail and especially his smile after catching the drum sticks) wub.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Aug 2 2012, 02:22 PM)
1976. Was given a mixtape that included Bytor and 2112 from ATWAS. I was immediately hooked. Got all the albums on vinyl then AFTK on day of release. Happy days!

Which album release first caused your happy days smile.gif to turn to cries of dismay ohmy.gif

And did you recover?

Discovered Rush about 3/4 years ago. My hubby's fault, I was looking for something new and he put Spirit Of Radio best of.

Thanks! trink39.gif

Incidentally, he says it was YYZ and La Villa Strangiato, then the albums 2112 and 2.gif for him.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Aug 2 2012, 12:33 PM)
1976. I was 14 years old and hanging at a friends house. I saw this album in his room that said Rush 2112. I said who are these guys?

He put it on and the rest is history.

Pretty much the same story, Sometime in October 1976. 14 years old. After school at a friend's house. Parents weren't home and we had just partaken of some "doobage" cool10.gif !

My friend says "check this out" and throws on side one of "All The World's A Stage" and after the fourth side tracked out, I was forever changed. 1022.gif