59 members have voted

1. 1. Which part is your favorite?

• In the Valley
    • Didacts and Narpets
    • No One at the Bridge
    • Panacea
    • Bacchus Plateau
    • The Fountain

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jul 29 2012, 06:41 PM)
Not exactly an easy listener, but I don't think TFoL gets enough love around here wub.gif

When I first got into Rush, I avoided this song for a long time simply because of its duration. When I actually got around to listening to it, I was blown away! Just think, the boys were only in their early 20s when they wrote this! It's almost hard to fathom, especially since I am around that age now (and boy do I feel unaccomplished!)

Which part is your favorite? I absolutely love Panacea, it is beautifully written and I love the little quiver, I guess I'd call it, in Geddy's voice. Didacts and Narpets is crazy, but I love it too. Neil's drumming is fiery and intense, but I'm not going to lie, it bothers the hell out of me that when 'listen!' is shouted at the end, it sounds more like 'litten!'

It really is a shame that this epic has never been played live and would soon be overshadowed by 2112. It's a very long shot, but here's to hoping that Ged and Alex will play Panacea this fall, just the two of them on stage just like what they did with Resist.

My heart will lie beside you
And my wandering body grieves...

I just don't get why you say it's not an "easy listener"?

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jul 29 2012, 06:41 PM)
Not exactly an easy listener, but I don't think TFoL gets enough love around here wub.gif

When I first got into Rush, I avoided this song for a long time simply because of its duration. When I actually got around to listening to it, I was blown away! Just think, the boys were only in their early 20s when they wrote this! It's almost hard to fathom, especially since I am around that age now (and boy do I feel unaccomplished!)

I was the opposite. When I first heard 2112 I was blown away. I then proceeded to buy all of their albums that had 10+ minute songs just because of that.

Loves the whole thing (but could do without Didacts And Narpets)

Voted for No One At The Bridge.

This is the Rush song that I've jammed along with on guitar the most. Usually with my PRS - McCarty.

I can't put into words the awesomeness of this song.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Chronos @ Jul 30 2012, 08:15 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 30 2012, 01:51 PM)

I like your anecdote!  Anytime that Rush unintentionally overlaps reality is serendipity.  Thanks for sharing. smile.gif

I keep trying to re-create the effect by scratching lottery tickets right when Ged sings "Big Money," but it just doesn't work.

I work at a convenience store, and whenever we have the $10 Big Money tickets for sale the song ALWAYS gets stuck in my head!

Bacchus Plateau easily, though No One At The Bridge deserves consideration. I always wanted the Boys to do a Something For Nothing/Bacchus Plateau/Anthem 'whole songs' more or less medley as a closer. I can only dream.

maybe I'm in the minority, but since day one I never considered 'The Fountain' a song (like '2112' or 'Hemispheres')

it's six separate songs - I've always listened to it that way

D&N is easily discarded, and Panacea (while the least offensive of their quieter side) is merely 'ok'

we're left with In The Valley, Bacchus Plateau, No One At The Bridge and The Fountain (as a bookend)

those four songs are separate tracks on my media player, and when they come up on a random/Rush mix, they stand on their own

No One At The Bridge has long been a favorite, but I've always had a soft spot for Bacchus - it's simplicity and clean production were 'shocking' compared to the rest of their '74-'76 catalog

I was thrilled when Rush decided to revisit that Bacchus structure in '87 on Hold Your Fire (High Water), so I guess my vote's going to go to BP.... by a hair

This is also a clue to how much I love the song:

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p626/apetersvt/IMG_1020-1.jpg

QUOTE (greyfriar @ Jul 30 2012, 09:47 AM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jul 30 2012, 02:28 AM)
I see that so far no one likes Panacea as much as I do sad.gif

You're no longer alone. biggrin.gif

bekloppt.gif

I love the wholr suite but I voted Panacea too!