59 members have voted

1. 1. Which part is your favorite?

• In the Valley
    • Didacts and Narpets
    • No One at the Bridge
    • Panacea
    • Bacchus Plateau
    • The Fountain

Not exactly an easy listener, but I don't think TFoL gets enough love around here wub.gif

When I first got into Rush, I avoided this song for a long time simply because of its duration. When I actually got around to listening to it, I was blown away! Just think, the boys were only in their early 20s when they wrote this! It's almost hard to fathom, especially since I am around that age now (and boy do I feel unaccomplished!)

Which part is your favorite? I absolutely love Panacea, it is beautifully written and I love the little quiver, I guess I'd call it, in Geddy's voice. Didacts and Narpets is crazy, but I love it too. Neil's drumming is fiery and intense, but I'm not going to lie, it bothers the hell out of me that when 'listen!' is shouted at the end, it sounds more like 'litten!'

It really is a shame that this epic has never been played live and would soon be overshadowed by 2112. It's a very long shot, but here's to hoping that Ged and Alex will play Panacea this fall, just the two of them on stage just like what they did with Resist.

My heart will lie beside you

And my wandering body grieves...

I love the whole song, but my favorite part is Bacchus Plateau. It's remarkably catchy, and the lyrics are great.

I'm guessing that No One at the Bridge will garner the most votes. Ironically, that's the part that does the least for me.

Great song! Love how the parts are different, but combining together to make a story. 'The Necromaner' popped up last night, and I, too, was struck by the thought that the boys had been, what, 22 when they made Caress of Steel. Amazing, really, how deep and how long their well of awesomeness has lasted.

And they've found the fountain of youth: keeping healthy, combined with a passion for what they do. Without passion, the fire fizzles out; the well runs dry.

Cheers to all of Caress of Steel! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Jul 29 2012, 05:45 PM)
I love the whole song, but my favorite part is Bacchus Plateau. It's remarkably catchy, and the lyrics are great.

I'm guessing that No One at the Bridge will garner the most votes. Ironically, that's the part that does the least for me.

yes.gif

This song is amazing. The best thing about this song is Alex's clean gtr sound. He absolutely nails the sound of a clean bridge pickup. When the gain comes in on the solo it is pure magic. This side of the album is flawless in my eyes...and ears. I never grow tired of it and it gets at least ten spins a year. Not bad for a twenty minute song.

I am one of the "No One At The Bridge" crowd. The reason I prefer this part is I love the mood created during this part of this song. The band starts sparsely, Alex's and Neil really make the song roll like the ocean, Geddy is his usual wonderful self.

Shout out for salvation, but there's no one there to hear.

Cry out supplication, for the maelstrom is near.

Scream out desperation! But, no one cares to hear!

I can almost smell the salt air when I hear this song. And Alex's solo is stellar!

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Jul 29 2012, 06:45 PM)

I agree with all of this.

Yeah, Bacchus Plateau is damn catchy.

Another endless day

Silhouettes of grey

Another glass of wine

Drink with eyes that shine

To days without that chill at morning

Long nights time out of mind

It's almost like my summertime anthem wink.gif

love the whole song, especially In The Valley/The Fountain. I voted for "No One At The Bridge" because, in my opinion, it was the first song they ever wrote together that really displayed emotions of despair and solitude (not really popular subjects) and it might of been part of the reason the album did so poorly. They took risks making this album and most of us can really appreciate that decades later.

This is one of my least favorite Rush songs. I find Bacchus Plateau to be the least dull, boring and uninteresting part of the song so it gets my vote.

At least the song is better than Dog Years, Virtuality and much of VT. Thats about the best I can say about the song.

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Jul 29 2012, 08:35 PM)
This is one of my least favorite Rush songs. I find Bacchus Plateau to be the least dull, boring and uninteresting part of the song so it gets my vote.

At least the song is better than Dog Years, Virtuality and much of VT. Thats about the best I can say about the song.

ohmy.gif

Love me some Lamneth. I had to vote for No One at the Bridge for reasons already given above. Like CygnusGal, I can almost smell the salty air. And dat solo! It was inspired by Steve Hackett of early Genesis fame (another one of my faves), and it sounds like it could have been lifted straight off of Selling England By the Pound.

A very close second place would be a tie between In the Valley and The Fountain. Bacchus Plateau does little for me.

An anecdote that will probably be of no interest to anyone but myself: In '98ish, as I was pulling out of my space in a crowded parking lot (Kopp's Frozen Custard, Milwaukee), I had Lamneth playing. I turned to look behind me, and my eyes fell on a vanity plate that read I AM ME -- at the precise moment Geddy sang the words! It was such a jarring, disorienting effect that I hit the brakes, dazed for a moment. Never forgotten that.

QUOTE (Chronos @ Jul 29 2012, 08:52 PM)
Love me some Lamneth. I had to vote for No One at the Bridge for reasons already given above. Like CygnusGal, I can almost smell the salty air. And dat solo! It was inspired by Steve Hackett of early Genesis fame (another one of my faves), and it sounds like it could have been lifted straight off of Selling England By the Pound.

A very close second place would be a tie between In the Valley and The Fountain. Bacchus Plateau does little for me.

An anecdote that will probably be of no interest to anyone but myself: In '98ish, as I was pulling out of my space in a crowded parking lot (Kopp's Frozen Custard, Milwaukee), I had Lamneth playing. I turned to look behind me, and my eyes fell on a vanity plate that read I AM ME -- at the precise moment Geddy sang the words! It was such a jarring, disorienting effect that I hit the brakes, dazed for a moment. Never forgotten that.

That's a cool anecdote! Love those Rush moments... I rememeber someone on this board shared that he (or she!) was listening to 'Between the Wheels' while driving, and at the "You know how that rabbit feels, going under your speeding wheels" part, a rabbit dashed across the road.

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jul 29 2012, 08:26 PM)
I love the whole song, but my favorite part is Bacchus Plateau.  It's remarkably catchy, and the lyrics are great.

Yeah, Bacchus Plateau is damn catchy.

Another endless day

Silhouettes of grey

Another glass of wine

Drink with eyes that shine

To days without that chill at morning

Long nights time out of mind

It's almost like my summertime anthem wink.gif

yes.gif

Bacchus Plateau could have easily been a separate Rush song in its own right. If they had called me, I would have told them that... laugh.gif

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jul 30 2012, 02:28 AM)
I see that so far no one likes Panacea as much as I do sad.gif

You're no longer alone. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Chronos @ Jul 29 2012, 09:52 PM)

I like your anecdote! Anytime that Rush unintentionally overlaps reality is serendipity. Thanks for sharing. smile.gif

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 30 2012, 01:51 PM)

I like your anecdote! Anytime that Rush unintentionally overlaps reality is serendipity. Thanks for sharing. smile.gif

I keep trying to re-create the effect by scratching lottery tickets right when Ged sings "Big Money," but it just doesn't work.