The Who to tour "Quadrophenia"

The Owl

Read this on Reuters (once again posting this from my phone so I cant post a link) but The Who (rather Townsend/Daltry) are touring this fall and next spring the Quadrophenia album in its entierty..

I think this is pretty cool I guess, I wonder if they could still pull it off? Anywho as much as I love Quad, Id imagine tickets would be astronomically high for the show and probably a pass for me, though if they are able to still do the album justice I would love to see some live release from this tour...

Edited by The Owl

It's up on thewho.com - North American Tour - Quadrophenia and more. Edited by greyfriar

I saw a recent Who concert on Palladia, with Roger and Pete and a bunch of backing musicians. To me, it wasn't The Who, at all. And Roger's voice was a mere shell of its former self -- it sounded old and tired and strained, with no ability to hit anything resembling a high note. I can't imagine these guys being able to pull of "Quad" at all.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 18 2012, 04:32 PM)
I saw a recent Who concert on Palladia, with Roger and Pete and a bunch of backing musicians. To me, it wasn't The Who, at all. And Roger's voice was a mere shell of its former self -- it sounded old and tired and strained, with no ability to hit anything resembling a high note. I can't imagine these guys being able to pull of "Quad" at all.

Watch this instead mate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h2ir0PtCgA

I regret that I agree with you 100%. The Who is no more. They're perfectly entitled to do this tour, but I don't want to see it. I don't want to see them struggle to do what they once did so greatly..... sad.gif sad.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 18 2012, 11:40 PM)

Watch this instead mate:

Great! Thanks for the link! BBC4 makes the best documentaries!

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Jul 19 2012, 02:35 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 18 2012, 11:40 PM)

Watch this instead mate:

Great! Thanks for the link! BBC4 makes the best documentaries!

Aye...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (MJH @ Jul 19 2012, 08:02 AM)
THE TWO

yes.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jul 19 2012, 09:34 AM)
When John Entwistle died, the who should've quit. Not the same.

I agree but you can almost say the same about when Moon died, never made a great/good album agian imo

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 19 2012, 03:47 PM)

I agree but you can almost say the same about when Moon died, never made a great/good album agian imo

True but a lot of great live performances with Kenney Jones and later with the best moon replacement Zak Starkey.

Edited by greyfriar

Im pretty much in agreement with alot here, I doubt they can pull it off, but Ill at least wait and see.... I dont expect the quality of the original albujm/tour, but if they can pull performances at least to level they did at the superbowl a couple years ago, i'd be content with that..

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 18 2012, 05:32 PM)

Saw them do it at the Garden in 96. That's a long time ago at this point. It was great back then.

Time flys.

Edited by Tick

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 19 2012, 05:41 PM)
Im pretty much in agreement with alot here, I doubt they can pull it off, but Ill at least wait and see.... I dont expect the quality of the original albujm/tour, but if they can pull performances at least to level they did at the superbowl a couple years ago, i'd be content with that..

Actually, the original tour ended up a bit of a mess, with the backing tapes malfunctioning all the time... IIRC, after a while they sacked Quad and played the old hits.

That said, no way this can be done. Even when they did Tommy with Phil Collins and Billy Idol, if you put more than four people up there, it's not The Who and it's not that feeling.

QUOTE (greyfriar @ Jul 19 2012, 10:08 AM)

True but a lot of great live performances with Kenney Jones and later with the best moon replacement Zak Starkey.

Zak yes, Kenny ? Not so much laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 19 2012, 10:44 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 18 2012, 05:32 PM)

Saw them do it at the Garden in 96. That's a long time ago at this point. It was great back then.

Time flys.

I saw it as well, very good

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 19 2012, 01:01 PM)
QUOTE (greyfriar @ Jul 19 2012, 10:08 AM)

Zak yes, Kenny ? Not so much laugh.gif

What about Simon Phillips ? wtf.gif

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Jul 19 2012, 11:19 PM)
Shouldn't this be called the 'Biphenia Tour'? Are they gonna show old footage of Keith and John when they play 'their' songs? No thanks.

laugh.gif

What is sad is the fact that Pete and Roger (reportedly) can't stand each other.

I read that they don't even have contact with each other except for sound checks and the gigs...

..then it off is separate limos to separate hotels.

I love The Who, always have and always will, but I can't call this incarnation The Who, The Who any more than I can call Brian May, Roger Taylor and Paul Rodgers Queen.