Power Windows

Bangster of Goats

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jul 14 2012, 09:06 AM)
...came out only 4 years after Moving Pictures.

For some reason this makes my brain hurt.

Does this mean you don't like Power Windows?

Some elaboration would be helpful.

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Jul 14 2012, 09:37 AM)

I am still in the process of collating data, and assembling charts and plotting graphs. I should have a full presentation ready by the end of next week.

No, seriously...

I love Power Windows! I was just listening to it while I made that initial post. It's just the huge stylistic changes, and studio output, in those four or five short years that hurt my widdle bwain.

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jul 14 2012, 09:45 AM)

I am still in the process of collating data, and assembling charts and plotting graphs. I should have a full presentation ready by the end of next week.

No, seriously...

I love Power Windows! I was just listening to it while I made that initial post. It's just the huge stylistic changes, and studio output, in those four or five short years that hurt my widdle bwain.

I also love the album, but my only complaint is with The Big Money. That song just hasn't aged well for me, and I find myself skipping it more often as the years pass ---it doesn't help that every time I hear it I think of that lame video for the song! Excellent guitar solo, though.

That said, I thought this was going to be one of those "80's Rush sucks" threads.

My favorite run of Rush albums is Signals through HYF, but I realize that's probably a minority opinion among Rush fans. I like the New Wave/Hard Rock hybrid sound, with some proggy moments thrown in for good measure.

Be prepared to defend the album, as I'm sure there will be a few Power Windows haters!

Count me in with the love. one of my fav albums....and to me it's even better cause it came after a real low point in Grace Under Pressure. So it made me real happy. Love EVERY track on this album. yes.gif

Mick

The Power Windows album was actually my first "new" Rush album (and my first tour) so it will always have a special place in my heart and mind.

I started liking Rush I think in 1982 or so, but I didn't start collecting their albums until Grace Under Pressure came out, which became my first ever Rush album. I then had everything by May 24 1985 -- very coincidentally Caress of Steel was the last one I had to buy and I just happened to buy it that day! (When I first heard the line "everyone would gather on the 24th of May..." I did a doubletake looking at the date on my watch and then chuckled to myself.) And then I had "the new one" to look forward to that would be coming out that fall... I remember taping Big Money off the radio as the album release neared, and playing it over and over...

When it came out, everyone was hating the "new" Rush but I loved it! All the 80s stuff, not just PoW, holds a special place for me as a matter of fact, those being my high school years and all.

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jul 14 2012, 10:53 AM)
The Power Windows album was actually my first "new" Rush album (and my first tour) so it will always have a special place in my heart and mind.

I started liking Rush I think in 1982 or so, but I didn't start collecting their albums until Grace Under Pressure came out, which became my first ever Rush album.  I then had everything by May 24 1985 -- very coincidentally Caress of Steel was the last one I had to buy and I just happened to buy it that day!  (When I first heard the line "everyone would gather on the 24th of May..." I did a doubletake looking at the date on my watch and then chuckled to myself.) And then I had "the new one" to look forward to that would be coming out that fall... I remember taping Big Money off the radio as the album release neared, and playing it over and over...

When it came out, everyone was hating the "new" Rush but I loved it!  All the 80s stuff, not just PoW, holds a special place for me as a matter of fact, those being my high school years and all.

"When/how I discovered Rush" experiences are always fun to read.

It was no fun being a Rush fan in high school in the 80's. Kids at my school dropped them like they were contagious when Signals was released. They even bitched because Alex cut his hair!

I often think about how much change occurred in just the 5 years between AFTK and Signals.

GUP came out 10 years after their debut. The same time between VT and CA.

No, seriously...

Stylistically, the shift came with Signals. Keyboards are brought to the forefront, and the guitar sounds become echoing, razor thin and Andy Summers-esque. Hints of this sound can be heard on Vital Signs on MP, but the big shift came with Signals. GUP and Power Windows were a natural evolution of this sound.

LoL Sounds like me, I got into rush around 78 . dug all that stuff back then. Then in 83 I went in the service and I got out in 87. GUP and Power Windows were sitting there in the music store so bang! I buy it of course .. And ya there was some shock factor lol.. Signals and GUP are in heavy rotation when i listen to there 80s stuff Power Windows not so much.

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jul 14 2012, 10:06 AM)

I hope your brain feels better smile.gif

For some reason, I associate most of this album with northwestern Ireland when I took a trip there in 2010. For some reason, that seemed to be appropriate to the occasion. I don't know why, but it was. The Grand Designs opening keyboard line really worked well with the beautiful geography. I really like all of the tracks (except Emotion Detector...just not my cup of tea).

2.gif. Its like they have a song for everything. smile.gif

I used to not like this album much because the production and heavy use of reverb on Ged's vocals made it all sound too mechanical and processed and almost robotic.

However, my issues with the recent three albums...the layers of distorted guitars and bass, the songs that go on too long and are too dense.. made me appreciate Power Windows much more in recent years.

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jul 14 2012, 11:06 PM)

I think even more mindblowing than that is the debut album to Hemispheres all in just 4 years. But yeah, I see your point.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 15 2012, 01:51 AM)

I think even more mindblowing than that is the debut album to Hemispheres all in just 4 years. But yeah, I see your point.

I see it as well.

At the time I was introduced to 2.gif in '81 anything before MP seemed like it was done in another lifetime and not just a couple years before. Not to mention now, being in my mid 40's, "a couple of years ago" doesn't seem as long as "a couple of years ago" when your 17.

I watched Come On Children a week ago or so and looking at Alex then was weird knowing in "a couple of years" they would make 2.gif but, and I agree with JohnnyBlaze, just 4 years after that they would have 6 studio, one live and a compliation album out including Hemispheres which I see as a monumental step up from 2.gif .

Someone else mentioned in a thread that Counterparts actually marks the centerpoint of their careers and that seems like just "a couple of years ago".

No, seriously...

Hemispheres came out 4 years after their first album!

Fantastic Record. It is amazing how quickly music and look changed during that period of time. Much less change over the last 10 years. The first ten years were very different...each year even.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 15 2012, 12:51 AM)

Yeah, just went to Wikipedia to discover that FBN and CoS both came out in 1975!

I wonder what would happen if they went in for an old-school record-it-and-done in 2 weeks album?

As for Power Windows - it still gets a lot of spin. As I get older, Middletown Dreams becomes more of a soundtrack of my life (as does "I think I'm Going Bald laugh.gif ). I think Manhattan Project is the only track that I routinely skip on that one.

"Better people, better food, and better beer!"

Good lyrics on that one!