How is This Guy Still Employed?

Mr. Not

I'm taking an early class every weekday from 6:00am - 11:00am, and we have a quick half hour break at 8:30 am each day. Usually during this break, I go down to a local supermarket. Today, I grabbed a chilled mocha and a couple of glazed risen donuts that were fresh baked there in a little bag. I then headed over to one of the only two checkouts open.

The man working the register was a 30-40 year old bald man with a very plain appearance. He took my items then announced the price in a loud and clear monotone voice. It was 4 dollars or something around there. I handed him the cash, then grabbed my items and receipt when he asked, "Would you like a bag?"

I replied, "No thanks, they're already in a bag," with a smile.

"They certainly are, thank you so much for pointing that out to me!" He remained in a balanced and unidentifiable pitch.

To be on the safe side, I clarified, "I was just kidding around a bit sir." Looking back, I should have just walked away.

"Let me check those donuts for you real quick." He requested.

I handed him the bag of donuts curiously. He aggressively snatched them out of my hand and effortlessly dropped them on the ground right near his feet (which I couldn't actually see behind the counter).

"One second now!" He said as he began to repeatedly stomp on the donuts until they were as flat as pancakes. He picked them up off the ground, then handed them out for me to grab with a "Have a nice day, you cocky piece of shit." Same clear and plain voice.

I walked away and picked out two more risen glazes, putting them in a new bag. I then headed for the exit when I heard him yell out someone's name. I kept going anyhow. I made it a fair distance out of the store when I heard someone yell "Hey!"

It seemed to be a manager - one he must've called on me. Calmly without a word I pulled out my wallet and showed him the receipt. He looked it over quickly then at my items.

"Sorry." He walked back into the store at a quick pace and I went about my way...

What a strange experience.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 11 2012, 04:19 AM)
If I were you I would have told the manager what happened so that guy would've been fired. I give you a lot of credit for staying calm though. I'd lose my temper if something like that happened to me.

This.

If you told the Manager, he could've put that man on a refresher course - retrain him. Or a warning. Disciplinary action, perhaps.

However, I too give you a lot of credit for remaining calm.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jul 11 2012, 12:21 AM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 11 2012, 04:19 AM)
If I were you I would have told the manager what happened so that guy would've been fired. I give you a lot of credit for staying calm though. I'd lose my temper if something like that happened to me.

This.

If you told the Manager, he could've put that man on a refresher course - retrain him. Or a warning. Disciplinary action, perhaps.

However, I too give you a lot of credit for remaining calm.

Me too. I would've gone ballistic! Good for you for staying calm.

As soon as he said "They certainly are, thank you so much for pointing that out to me!" I would have done my usual... say, "Excuse me?" and give the person a few seconds to change course. Then, if they don't - watch out! rage.gif

I'd certainly mention it to the Manager next time you're in there. What an asshat. You don't call the customer a POS. Ever.

Edited by HowItIs

Let me get this straight.

This rather shocking thing happened to you - a store employee destroyed your purchase and called you a piece of shit - and you didn't even tell the manager that chased you out of the store thinking you stole 2 doughnuts? Surely that kind of employee insubordination calls for some kind of action on the part of the wronged customer. Perhaps that's why this guy is still employed...

I find that really hard to understand, personally, aside from the really dramatic nature of the event itself.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 11 2012, 07:34 AM)

This rather shocking thing happened to you - a store employee destroyed your purchase and called you a piece of shit - and you didn't even tell the manager that chased you out of the store thinking you stole 2 doughnuts? Surely that kind of employee insubordination calls for some kind of action on the part of the wronged customer. Perhaps that's why this guy is still employed...

I find that really hard to understand, personally, aside from the really dramatic nature of the event itself.

Hell yeah. I would go back to the store and speak to the manager, and even more so, I might call the manager on the phone and ask to get the owner's number as well. I would have that mofo's job.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jul 11 2012, 08:17 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 11 2012, 07:34 AM)

This rather shocking thing happened to you - a store employee destroyed your purchase and called you a piece of shit - and you didn't even tell the manager that chased you out of the store thinking you stole 2 doughnuts?  Surely that kind of employee insubordination calls for some kind of action on the part of the wronged customer. Perhaps that's why this guy is still employed...

Hell yeah. I would go back to the store and speak to the manager, and even more so, I might call the manager on the phone and ask to get the owner's number as well. I would have that mofo's job.

Yes. Unless, OP left out a critical part of the story (like OP badly insulted the employee first) , or it's complete bullshit. And if it's a truthful story, people like OP are the reason that guy still has a job.

IF this did happen, you should've at least tried to call the store or go back later and let someone in charge know what happened. If they have video cameras they can always check those out to in order to back up your story. Not saying anything is the reason the person still has a job.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 11 2012, 06:34 AM)

This rather shocking thing happened to you - a store employee destroyed your purchase and called you a piece of shit - and you didn't even tell the manager that chased you out of the store thinking you stole 2 doughnuts?  Surely that kind of employee insubordination calls for some kind of action on the part of the wronged customer. Perhaps that's why this guy is still employed...

Agree 100% new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif In fact, I find the story very hard to believe.....extremely hard to believe. I'll even dare to say that I doubt it even happened..... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jul 11 2012, 09:18 AM)

Agree 100% new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif In fact, I find the story very hard to believe.....extremely hard to believe. I'll even dare to say that I doubt it even happened..... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Yup. I saw Mr. Isnot hang around this thread, then leave. Mr. Isnothonest, punking the Forum again. Lots of laughs.

For the record, I talk to the manager about everything - you get free stuff a lot smile.gif

Just the other day, I went and bought a pint of frozen custard - flavors of the day were Peach Melba and Butter Pecan. I asked for a pint of Peach Melba (because it's healthy :lol) and got home to find Butter Pecan. I didn't go talk to the clueless HS chick that helped me because she was quite rude to begin with, so I talked to someone that looked to be in charge... explained I drove ALL THE WAY HOME (1-2 miles) before noticing it was wrong... he exchanged my pint of Butter Pecan for a quart of Peach Melba!

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 11 2012, 10:19 AM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jul 11 2012, 07:39 AM)

Yup. I saw Mr. Isnot hang around this thread, then leave. Mr. Isnothonest, punking the Forum again. Lots of laughs.

Sorry, I started typing a response but i shut my laptop an got my bag packed instead - priorities. 8 to 8:30 break today, I'm on my phone.

My main concern was avoiding conflict and getting out of there with what was rightfully mine. I was a

bit shocked myself. When the manager confronted me, I made the fair assumption he was told I was stealing, so all I cared about was him knowing I didn't. Logically, the Employee who stomped on my donuts and then yelled for a manager did it for no reason - he cried wolf and the manager knows he cried wolf on a customer. This was enough to tide me over until last night when I was texting a friend who also works at the market. He said he was kind of surprised; he knew the guy as a douche but now he's wondering what's going on with him.

You read news stories right? Stuff like this happens my friend, but believe whatever you will. It doesn't per se change how interesting this event was.

Okay, you're sticking with your story. So, you'll have u

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 11 2012, 10:19 AM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jul 11 2012, 07:39 AM)

Sorry, I started typing a response but i shut my laptop an got my bag packed instead - priorities. 8 to 8:30 break today, I'm on my phone.

My main concern was avoiding conflict and getting out of there with what was rightfully mine. I was a

bit shocked myself. When the manager confronted me, I made the fair assumption he was told I was stealing, so all I cared about was him knowing I didn't. Logically, the Employee who stomped on my donuts and then yelled for a manager did it for no reason - he cried wolf and the manager knows he cried wolf on a customer. This was enough to tide me over until last night when I was texting a friend who also works at the market. He said he was kind of surprised; he knew the guy as a douche but now he's wondering what's going on with him.

You read news stories right? Stuff like this happens my friend, but believe whatever you will. It doesn't per se change how interesting this event was.

Okay, you're sticking with your story. So, you'll have u

Okay, you're sticking with your story. So, you'll have us believe your donuts were stomped without provication, then you were accused of being a thief. And you did nothing to defend yourself or tell the manager what happened to you. You seem to be able to defend yourself on this site well enough. So what's the rest of the story. Was this douche cashier your buddy who punked you, and you're just relaying that story? Do you have anything more to add to your story?

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jul 11 2012, 01:10 PM)
You should've kicked him in the dick.

yes.gif

What an asshole! You should have told the manager what he did.