Some thoughts on The Anarchist

CygnusGal

I continue to be astounded by this album. It continues to unfold, each layer revealing another level of resonance (...wheels within wheels in a spiral array...curves and lines of grand designs....atmospheric disturbance, the feverish flux...).

An adage of writing (honest writing, anyway) is: "you write what you know". I have always believed Neil to be an honest lyricist given his body of work and the way I've been able to personally relate to it. He writes what he knows.

I see The Anarchist as the overwhelming force on the album; it is on the cover - the scarlet mist that spills over into rage and overlayed (trumped) by the watch(maker) set to 21:12. Anger, just like in and on 2112, but for a much different reason. During this iteration of Rush, don't worry about the year but mind the time.

The Peddler (Pedlar) first asks "What do you lack?" (Alex at ~7:26 of CA title track) - What do you lack? as noted by other posters @ ~0:28 and ~0:34 in The Anarchist as Geddy punches the line with the bass (dah-dah-dah-dah). I repeat the question everytime I hear Geddy's bass phrase. I don't believe The Anarchist answer of "vengeance" - to my mind that isn't something you can lack (desire and burn for it certainly, but lack?) "A missing part of me that grows around me like me like a cage" answers the Anarchist (that sounds like something truly lacking).

What part of a person grows around them like a cage and how could such a thing be missed? A riddle, to my mind.

An answer is: family, love, respect. It grows around us like a cage. In its benevolent form, a cage shields us from the harsh external forces and keeps us and those we love together and safe. This is what The Anarchist lacks - love, family, respect; the cage ("I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone")

Is there an auto-biographical nature to the album (like Pink was to "The Wall")? Is Neil's loss (and any residual anger) reflected in The Anarchist? I know Neil has built a new family (and I am very happy for him), but how could one not think about such events for the rest of one's life? How could they not color one's world view?

The Anarchist was more than likely also BU2B (clockwork society, afterall)

"Lean not upon your own understanding.

Ignorance is well and truly blessed.

Trust in perfect love, and perfect planning,

And everything will turn for the best"

But it really didn't for The Anarchist, otherwise he wouldn't be so angry and alone.

That's my take on it.

One seemingly missed lyrical opportunity in The Anarchist - it would've been cool if Neil wrote "The pools of poison, the scarlet mist that spill over into rage" in one chorus and then "The pools of poison, the scarlet mist that's billowing into rage" in the other. Since pools spill and mist billows, he could've played off both words. And both verbs totally work from a meaning standpoint too. Edited by NYM86

Great song, no doubt about that. But what I don't understand is how people consider 2112 or this song angry? If you think these songs are angry in anyway then I have some metal in my collection that will scare the crap out of you laugh.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 7 2012, 09:54 AM)
Great song, no doubt about that. But what I don't understand is how people consider 2112 or this song angry? If you think these songs are angry in anyway then I have some metal in my collection that will scare the crap out of you laugh.gif

I believe that the band was angry about being told to conform after CoS - a poorly received album. 2112 was to be singles (what the record company wanted) and was instead the finger (what the record company got) - a 20+ minute "single", epic in its scope and defiant in its message. Neil said it in the film and it earned the band their freedom.

I hear Alex's solo as very angry in The Anarchist (a very dangerous device in its first appearance). And also have "scary" music in music collection too. wink.gif

I do believe the ultimate message of the CA album is love. But, alas, that is a different post.

smile.gif

<change "the record company" to "what the record company" >

Edited by CygnusGal

This is definitely one of my faves. I've noticed similarities musically to Prime Mover. I start humming this song but it ends up being Prime Mover, then I realized some of the notes were very similar.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 7 2012, 10:37 AM)
This is definitely one of my faves. I've noticed similarities musically to Prime Mover. I start humming this song but it ends up being Prime Mover, then I realized some of the notes were very similar.

That's because there is a connection between C.A. and Prime Mover.

I'm very surprised it isn't getting discussed more... I've tried a couple times to bring it up but people don't seem interested.

QUOTE (Snaked @ Jul 7 2012, 09:04 AM)

I'm very surprised it isn't getting discussed more... I've tried a couple times to bring it up but people don't seem interested.

There's a lot of that in this album. I'm going to check that out thanks for the heads up!

The fact that they are looking back so much makes me afraid that it's their last work. We've thought that before though...

So is it the song CA, or the album as a whole that reminds you of PM.

Edited by Weakly Criminal

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 7 2012, 07:11 AM)
The Peddler (Pedlar) first asks "What do you lack?" (Alex at ~7:26 of CA title track) - What do you lack? as noted by other posters @ ~0:28 and ~0:34 in The Anarchist as Geddy punches the line with the bass (dah-dah-dah-dah). I repeat the question everytime I hear Geddy's bass phrase. I don't believe The Anarchist answer of "vengeance" - to my mind that isn't something you can lack (desire and burn for it certainly, but lack?) "A missing part of me that grows around me like me like a cage" answers the Anarchist (that sounds like something truly lacking).

Actually, Peart is more direct regarding the answer to this. As you noticed, during the musical phrasing in the intro at 0:28 to O:34, the pedlar again asks "what do you lack." If you notice (and this is one of the things that make this album amazing), during the repeat of that musical phrase during the prechoruses at 1:53 to 2:04 and again at 3:49 to 3:58, the Anarchist replies to that question:

I lack their smiles and their diamonds;

I lack their happiness and love

It's brilliant. You get the whispered question during the intro, and then in the exact musical moment in the song, you get an answer.

Freakin' cool if you ask me.

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Jul 7 2012, 11:58 AM)

There's a lot of that in this album. I'm going to check that out thanks for the heads up!

The fact that they are looking back so much makes me afraid that it's their last work. We've thought that before though...

Holy shit. I meant to say that "The Anarchist" reminds me of Prime Mover, not Clockwork Angels.

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Jul 7 2012, 11:58 AM)

The connection between C.A. (the album) was first brought up 2 years ago with BU2B and The Watchmaker.

The Bridge of P.M. speaks of The Watchmaker (without naming him, of course)

I set the wheels in motion

Turn up all the machines

Activate the programs

And run behind the scenes.

I set the clouds in motion

Turn up light and sound

Activate the window

And watch the world go round

Also, look at one definition of the term Prime Mover:

A person or establishment that is chiefly responsible for the creation or execution of a plan or project.

And from Songfacts:

Definition: Prime Mover - a self-caused agent that is the cause of all things; "God is the first cause."

The comparison of the two songs offends my Rush sensabilities. The problem with the comparison is that musically, there is such an enormous gap between the aweseomeness and winness of the Anarchist, and the late 80's, fusion jazz soft rock diarrea of Prime Mover.

So yes, maybe some lyrical concepts are similar, but that is like comparing Freewill to Faithless.

actually, I was thinking along the lines of the music, but I see the connection in the lyrics as well now.

I start humming Anarchist and find myself humming Prime Mover. It's strange.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 7 2012, 11:25 AM)
The comparison of the two songs offends my Rush sensabilities. The problem with the comparison is that musically, there is such an enormous gap between the aweseomeness and winness of the Anarchist, and the late 80's, fusion jazz soft rock diarrea of Prime Mover.

So yes, maybe some lyrical concepts are similar, but that is like comparing Freewill to Faithless.

Comparing Freewill to Faithless. Just the thought makes me 062802puke_prv.gif

Edited by Transcendent Pilgrim

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 7 2012, 12:25 PM)

Musically I don't see P.M. being similar to The Anarchist, or any song on C.A. I'm simply speaking of the concept.

The Watchmaker is not new to RUSH... it's just this is the first time he's been named.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 7 2012, 10:25 AM)

You're a style whore Pedro. You're cool though. Wish we would have talked more in Vegas. Come to think of it, it might have come to blows. : ) You just can't compare Freewill to anything. Or much of PeW.

I like The Anarchist, but prefer both TC and HF. Musically and lyrically.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 7 2012, 08:54 AM)

I dont see 2112 as being angry at all, it's just a sad story that doesnt have a happy ending, just like this one.

I dont sense a lot of anger in the story itself on either album, just more sadness, regret, hope that never results in anything. That sort of thing.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 7 2012, 09:15 AM)
QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 7 2012, 07:11 AM)
The Peddler (Pedlar) first asks "What do you lack?" (Alex at ~7:26 of CA title track) - What do you lack? as noted by other posters @ ~0:28 and ~0:34 in The Anarchist as Geddy punches the line with the bass (dah-dah-dah-dah).  I repeat the question everytime I hear Geddy's bass phrase.  I don't believe The Anarchist answer of "vengeance" - to my mind that isn't something you can lack (desire and burn for it certainly, but lack?)  "A missing part of me that grows around me like me like a cage" answers the Anarchist (that sounds like something truly lacking).

Actually, Peart is more direct regarding the answer to this. As you noticed, during the musical phrasing in the intro at 0:28 to O:34, the pedlar again asks "what do you lack." If you notice (and this is one of the things that make this album amazing), during the repeat of that musical phrase during the prechoruses at 1:53 to 2:04 and again at 3:49 to 3:58, the Anarchist replies to that question:

I lack their smiles and their diamonds;

I lack their happiness and love

It's brilliant. You get the whispered question during the intro, and then in the exact musical moment in the song, you get an answer.

Freakin' cool if you ask me.

Oh, I'm so glad others are discussing this. When I first put it together, I was floored. I don't know why - we know how brilliant these guys are - but it was like a revelation, like putting a puzzle together - voila! biggrin.gif

But I don't agree with the idea that Neil would have some long-lasting anger towards life. The Anarchist is based on a character in a novel: The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad. It's HIS anger that fuels the song, not Neil's. no.gif

Not sure if it was intentional or not, but I compare the Anarchist's "A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage" to the Garden's "nurture and protect" imagery. Looks like two very different 'gardens' based on what each person chooses to nurture.

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 9 2012, 05:24 PM)
Not sure if it was intentional or not, but I compare the Anarchist's "A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage" to the Garden's "nurture and protect" imagery. Looks like two very different 'gardens' based on what each person chooses to nurture.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jul 7 2012, 09:30 AM)
One seemingly missed lyrical opportunity in The Anarchist - it would've been cool if Neil wrote "The pools of poison, the scarlet mist that spill over into rage" in one chorus and then "The pools of poison, the scarlet mist that's billowing into rage" in the other. Since pools spill and mist billows, he could've played off both words. And both verbs totally work from a meaning standpoint too.

Perhaps Geddy changed that. He is known to work with Neil so he can sing things more easily. He is pretty busy up there. wink.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 10 2012, 06:40 PM)

<snip>

I also lost my Mother recently and it was sudden, unexpected and young. I felt the same way for awhile and came to the same place as you, finally. I really feel that this album contains some of the best "life advice" I've seen in one place. Sure is better - and more fun - than Dr.s Drew or Phil.  eh.gif

OH, I agree about BU2B2, also. It's a critical step in the story.

Thanks for the thoughtful posts, people!  trink39.gif

Thank you that is very sweet of you. I'm so sorry about your mother (circumstances sound similar to mine). sad.gif

Rush always seem to be so timely in their music in my life. It truly is the soundtrack of my life. Much, much better than Dr. Phil (and don't get me started about Dr. Drew), I agree!

Thanks and trink39.gif to you too. smile.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 10 2012, 05:40 PM)
Thanks for that clarification. Yes, those experiences have certainly colored Neil's views, there can be no way they would not.

I try not to be Neil's psychoanalyst when listening to his lyrics. However, when on BU2B there is the line:

The price of what we're winning / is the same as what we've lost

I can't help but to think of his situation; lost his wife and daughter now he has a wife and daughter. I don't know or try to infer he means that overtly but it's there in my interpretation.

Oh, and the Anarchist just f***ing kills. Great song. 1022.gif