It's time to Rank Test for Echo 1-11

treeduck

QUOTE (The K Man @ Jul 5 2012, 07:20 PM)
1. Totem
2. Resist
3. Driven
4. Limbo
5. Carve Away the Stone
6. Virtuality
7. Half the World
8. Test for Echo
9. Dog Years
10. The Color of Right
11. Time and Motion

Time and Motion, bottom?? ohmy.gif

That's my favourite song on the album! 1022.gif It almost sounds like "old time RUSH" wub.gif yes.gif

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Time and Motion

2. Driven

3. Limbo

4. Resist

5. Totem

6. Carve Away the Stone

7. Virtuality

8. The Color of Right

9. Half the World

10. Test for Echo

11. Dog Years

7 through 11 are all together for me. The lyrics to these are all a bit week. Net Boy...Perp walk...Season of the itch...god, horrid.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 5 2012, 07:22 PM)
1. Totem
2. Resist
3. Driven
4. Limbo
5. Carve Away the Stone
6. Virtuality
7. Half the World
8. Test for Echo
9. Dog Years
10. The Color of Right
11. Time and Motion

That's my favourite song on the album! 1022.gif It almost sounds like "old time RUSH" wub.gif yes.gif

I hate Time and Motion. I mean, I physically hate it. The vocal melodies are absolutely putrid and by far the worst the band have ever written. The riff is nice, but it's just too bad it is wasted in an otherwise horrific song.

1. Resist

2. The Color of Right

3. Dog Years

4. Virtuality

5. Test for Echo

6. Driven

7. Half the World

8. Totem

9. Limbo

10. Carve Away the Stone

11. Time & Motion

I love Resist and 'Color' is great stuff.

As for Dog Years, it isn't one of my faves as for Neil's words of wisdom. Yet, the music is hard rocking. In fact, back-back-back when Test for Echo was released I gave 'Dog' a few listens, and thought it would be cool to put it in the setlist followed by 'By-Tor'.

Call me crazy...call me what you will.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Jul 5 2012, 07:43 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 5 2012, 07:22 PM)
1. Totem
2. Resist
3. Driven
4. Limbo
5. Carve Away the Stone
6. Virtuality
7. Half the World
8. Test for Echo
9. Dog Years
10. The Color of Right
11. Time and Motion

I hate Time and Motion. I mean, I physically hate it. The vocal melodies are absolutely putrid and by far the worst the band have ever written. The riff is nice, but it's just too bad it is wasted in an otherwise horrific song.

Wow I don't hear it that way at all. It sounds great to my ears!

1022.gif

Totem

Test For Echo

Carve Away The Stone

Time And Motion

Dog Years

The Color Of Right

Driven

Half The World

Resist

Limbo

Virtuality

Man, people are all over the place on these songs. Here's a look at what the best and worst ranks have been for each tune so far:

Test for Echo -- Best-1st, Worst-10th

Driven -- Best-1st, Worst-11th

Half the World -- Best-1st, Worst-11th

The Color of Right -- Best-1st, Worst-11th

Time and Motion -- Best-1st, Worst-11th

Totem -- Best-1st, Worst-9th

Dog Years -- Best-3rd, Worst-11th

Virtuality -- Best-3rd, Worst-11th

Resist -- Best-1st, Worst-11th

Limbo -- Best-3rd, Worst-11th

Carve Away the Stone -- Best-1st, Worst-11th

Just about every song has been someone's favorite and someone else's least favorite. I'd expect such results from a large sample set, but there haven't been all that many posts and the numbers are still all over the place.

These kick ass:

1. Time and Motion

2. Virtuality

3. Driven

These are pretty great:

4. Test for Echo

5. Half the World

I like this:

6. Limbo

I can take it or leave it:

7. The Color of Right

I don't have to hear these again:

8. Dog Years

9. Carve Away the Stone

10. Totem

11. Resist

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Jul 6 2012, 11:00 PM)
Just about every song has been someone's favorite and someone else's least favorite.  I'd expect such results from a large sample set, but there haven't been all that many posts and the numbers are still all over the place.

It's news to me T4E has so many differing opinions! Great stuff smile.gif

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Jul 6 2012, 06:00 AM)
Man, people are all over the place on these songs. Here's a look at what the best and worst ranks have been for each tune so far:

Test for Echo -- Best-1st, Worst-10th
Driven -- Best-1st, Worst-11th
Half the World -- Best-1st, Worst-11th
The Color of Right -- Best-1st, Worst-11th
Time and Motion -- Best-1st, Worst-11th
Totem -- Best-1st, Worst-9th
Dog Years -- Best-3rd, Worst-11th
Virtuality -- Best-3rd, Worst-11th
Resist -- Best-1st, Worst-11th
Limbo -- Best-3rd, Worst-11th
Carve Away the Stone -- Best-1st, Worst-11th

Just about every song has been someone's favorite and someone else's least favorite. I'd expect such results from a large sample set, but there haven't been all that many posts and the numbers are still all over the place.

I was thinking the same thing. Crazy

1. The Color of Right

2. Resist

3. Driven

4. Totem

5. Limbo

6. Test for Echo

7. Virtuality

I don't even listen to the rest. Virtuality is only on here because I listen to it maybe once a month. It's catchy even though the lyrics are cheesy and dated. And I agree with The K Man that Time and Motion sucks. The vocal melodies really kill it for me

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jul 7 2012, 03:36 AM)
And I agree with The K Man that Time and Motion sucks. The vocal melodies really kill it for me

I've always loved the "Rush quirkiness" of T&M. The vocals have never been an issue for me either, just add to the uniqueness confused13.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jul 6 2012, 03:40 PM)
And I agree with The K Man that Time and Motion sucks. The vocal melodies really kill it for me

I've always loved the "Rush quirkiness" of T&M. The vocals have never been an issue for me either, just add to the uniqueness confused13.gif trink38.gif

It Fokking ROCKS! I don't notice any issues with the vocal melodies, they sound like great Geddy vocal melodies to me, always did...

This is great 1996 throwback to 1976 metal RUSH stuff!

1022.gif

1 Driven - One of the best songs of the 90's albums

2 Time and Motion - could fall in the top 5 of the 90's

3 Half the World - kinda pop for 2.gif but good

4 Totem - same as 3

5 Color of Right - good track, works well

6 Test For Echo - good, but I have issues with the flow of the lyrics

7 Resist - this is where is starts going downhill

8 Carve Away the Stone - still rolling downhill

9 Dog Years - wow, musically this and the last two work, but...

10 Virtuality - where did they go wrong...is this about tortoises sending emails? No, that was the last one. No???

11 Limbo - this one just goes nowhere for me overall, some good parts but... take the good parts of the last three and maybe, just maybe....

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 7 2012, 10:20 AM)

It Fokking ROCKS! I don't notice any issues with the vocal melodies, they sound like great Geddy vocal melodies to me, always did...

1022.gif

Aye, it's an unusual beast granted, but the vox melodies are delish, as per usual for me 1022.gif

Why people have such a hangup on 90s Rush is beyond me smile.gif

Totem - I love the lyrics, I love how joyful the song sounds, I love the guitar solo... Always my go-to track from Test for Echo because it's excellent. In every way.

Resist - The lyrics have excellent light humor, and the instrumentation, production, and composition are all very soothing to me. This is a song I like to hear on quiet evenings.

Color of Right - Great lyrics, and has nice textures. It's mostly the lyrics that put it in the #3 spot for me.

Driven - Very energetic and memorable. Lyrics are fun too.

Time and Motion - More excellent lyrics and exciting musical ideas.

Test for Echo - I particularly like Neil's work on this track, and it has a unique solo from Alex. The lyrics are painfully dated.

Half the World - Pleasant. Lyrics are... true, but not very original.

Limbo - Goes on too long. But not unpleasant.

Carve Away the Stone - I actually like the lyrics a lot on this one, and the musical content is pretty good, but I think it could use an extra something. I'm not sure.

Virtuality - Nice verse riff, but horrible lyrics and boring chorus.

Dog Years - I'm sure everything about this song seemed like a good idea at the time... ph34r.gif

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jul 4 2012, 01:19 PM)
1. Driven
2-11. the rest

I don't listen to the rest of them enough to rank them appropriately, though if forced to I could.

This is how I feel.

I probably would have said:

1. Driven

2-11. Who cares? In fact, even Driven isn't all that great.

It's just a really lackluster album all around.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jul 6 2012, 07:40 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 7 2012, 10:20 AM)

1022.gif

Aye, it's an unusual beast granted, but the vox melodies are delish, as per usual for me 1022.gif

Why people have such a hangup on 90s Rush is beyond me smile.gif

I don't have a hangup on 90s Rush. Counterparts is one of my three favorite Rush records, and I really like Roll the Bones. Time and Motion just sucks, IMO, and Test for Echo is just an average record.

Dang people hate Virtuality... The lyrics are fun tongue.gif

01. Totem

02. Virtuality

03. Half the World

04. Time and Motion

05. Limbo

06. Test For Echo

07. Driven

08. Resist

09. Dog Years

10. Carve Away the Stone

11. Color of Right

TBH, I've listened to this album quite a bit, and I skip the last 2 EVERY time. I just can't get into that sound at all. I made an exception for Half the World and Dog Years (the latter because it's good fun).

Needless to say Wish Them Well & Seven Cities of Gold on CA aren't my cup of tea either, since they sound like the songs I don't like here, but that's a story for another thread. Totem just flows really well to me and I think it's one of their catchier songs. I really like the lyrics in it actually. Virtuality is just Rush rocking out, and I find it to me the most memorable of the pack TBH other than the Tom Sawyer of the album (Driven) or the 'it must be good because it's slow' Resist. Limbo, while not being one of their strongest instrumentals, is still a Rush instrumental. All Rush instrumentals are awesome. I think the Transylvania Twist part is what really turns people off besides it does seem to drag some. Time & Motion, in my opinion, picked up where Double Agent from CP left off and lead to songs like Spindrift on S&A. Test For Echo the song just seems like not as good Show Don't Tell, but that's just me.

I'll give Carve Away the Stone and Color of Right a chance the same day I give Wish Them Well and Seven Cities of Gold a chance. That day may never come. It still doesn't change the fact that I love every Rush album though 1022.gif