Clockwork Angels vs Snakes and Arrows

SUBDIVISIONS

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snakes & Arrows has a heavy, yet bluesy/folksy sound. Lyrically, it's grounded in realistic issues like religion, politics, and the ups and downs of man's relationship with others and himself. Clockwork Angels is more fantastical in nature, and goes back to the band's roots with a more melodic, yet still-edgy hard rock sound. In my opinion, the band sounds "older" (NOT in a bad sense, just in an earthy, grizzled, somewhat jaded-about-the-world way) in the former, and more youthful in the latter. Edited by NYM86

Snakes & Arrows pros: cleaner, clearer mix, has three great instrumentals, has 3 truly classic songs in Far Cry, Workin' Them Angels and Armor & Sword. It's WAY better than the two albums that preceded it.

Snakes & Arrows cons: some songs that are only decent (Spindrift and The Way The Wind Blows), and a few filler tracks (The Larger Bowl, Faithless, Good News First, Bravest Face, We Hold On).

Clockwork Angels pros: EXTREMELY consistent. Almost every song is great, and there are some true classics, especially Clockwork Angels, The Garden and The Wreckers. Headlong Flight, BU2B & Caravan might also be classics, and are at the minimum superior Rush songs. The album works REALLY well as a whole due to the great concept.

Clockwork Angels cons: Only one song is slightly weaker (Halo Effect), and only one is entirely disposable/filler (BU2B2). The mix/mastering could be a tad cleaner/clearer, but it's a minor complaint.

In the end, CA wins easily if for no other reason than it's 5 filler songs vs. 1 filler song that's only 90 seconds long!

CA is more consistent, leaner, meaner, better flow, more passionate, more coherent, more epic, more classic Rush signatures

SA has better sonic production, but thicker and at times bloated arrangements, mid tempo and often ploddimg, more folksy, more variety, too many Geddys, much more shoe horned lyrics.

CA wins.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 3 2012, 05:59 PM)
Let's talk about something important....PUT THAT CLOCKWORK ANGELS ALBUM DOWN! Rush albums are for Closers, Closers to the Heart...

cool10.gif

Second prize.....a set of steak knives.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 3 2012, 04:22 PM)
Almost every song is great, and there are some true classics, especially Clockwork Angels, The Garden and The Wreckers. Headlong Flight, BU2B & Caravan might also be classics, and are at the minimum superior Rush songs.

Umm... you forgot the best song on the whole album.. The Anarchist.

Think about how good CA is, you just laid out the Jaguar X, BMW 7 series, the Lexus L450 and the Cadillac XTS Platinum, and you forgot to mention the Mercedes S600!!!

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 3 2012, 10:00 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 3 2012, 04:22 PM)
Almost every song is great, and there are some true classics, especially Clockwork Angels, The Garden and The Wreckers.  Headlong Flight, BU2B & Caravan might also be classics, and are at the minimum superior Rush songs.

Umm... you forgot the best song on the whole album.. The Anarchist.

Think about how good CA is, you just laid out the Jaguar X, BMW 7 series, the Lexus L450 and the Cadillac XTS Platinum, and you forgot to mention the Mercedes S600!!!

I think it's short of classic, but still a great song.

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 3 2012, 08:08 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 3 2012, 05:59 PM)
Let's talk about something important....PUT THAT CLOCKWORK ANGELS ALBUM DOWN! Rush albums are for Closers, Closers to the Heart...

cool10.gif

Second prize.....a set of steak knives.

Third prize is you're fired!

The differences?

Overall, one is pretty darned awesome (CA) while the other mostly sucks (S&A). Comparison finished.

Lance Hunt wears glasses. Captain Amazing doesn't wear glasses. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 4 2012, 05:54 AM)
Both safe rock albums, not nearly adventurous enough. So when is their next album out?

http://stuartnager.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/troll.jpg

"Who's that trip-trapping over my bridge?!?!"

laugh.gif

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 4 2012, 05:03 AM)
The differences?

Overall, one is pretty darned awesome (CA) while the other mostly sucks (S&A). Comparison finished.

This right here.

CA is fantastic start to finish. S&A is about half great (Far Cry, A&S, TMMB, WTA & TWTWB) wth the rest pretty blah and forgettable.

CA is METAL 1022.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 4 2012, 03:54 AM)
Both safe rock albums, not nearly adventurous enough. So when is their next album out?

Does it matter? Obviously, you'll hate it. If you're waiting for them to release an amazing latter day classic album it will never happen, as they just did that and clearly you missed it.

Damn, am I the only one who likes Halo Effect?

Not only is it a great song in its own right, it's a great break from all great rockin' songs that came before it.

--

S&A:

Good songs: Far Cry, The Larger Bowl, Faithless

Great songs: TMMB, Armor & Sword (the best on the album), MalNar

Pretty good songs: The rest of them

--

CA:

Great Songs: All except-

Good Songs: BU2B & Wish Them Well

It's not even a comparison, CA blows it away (excepting production values of course!)

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 4 2012, 06:54 AM)

You sir, are a clown.

honk, honk.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 3 2012, 07:10 PM)
CA is more consistent, leaner, meaner, better flow, more passionate, more coherent, more epic, more classic Rush signatures

SA has better sonic production, but thicker and at times bloated arrangements, mid tempo and often ploddimg, more folksy, more variety, too many Geddys, much more shoe horned lyrics.

CA wins.

CA its more cohesive, good point

Differences to me are that CA is more straight forward, jam oriented, uptempo. S&A is more dense, lush, and acoustically and vocally layered....more folksy rock than prog. Both are fine for what they are, but simply comparing which one I'd reach for first...it'd be Clockwork Angels. I love S&A in its own right, but CA is simply BETTER to me.

It was a more ambitious and well executed project.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 4 2012, 02:17 PM)
Differences to me are that CA is more straight forward, jam oriented, uptempo. S&A is more dense, lush, and acoustically and vocally layered....more folksy rock than prog. Both are fine for what they are, but simply comparing which one I'd reach for first...it'd be Clockwork Angels. I love S&A in its own right, but CA is simply BETTER to me.

It was a more ambitious and well executed project.

yes.gif