THE Rush song

Gedneil Alpeart

Say, you had a dope in front of you who knew nothing about Rush, never heard of them, nada, but was curious to hear their sound and style. If you could only choose ONE Rush song that best represents what you love about Rush to this fella, which one would it be?

I would choose Limelight as THE song rep for Rush to an average Joe.

Note: This is different than your "desert island"Rush song........or.....maybe it could be the same..........

YYZ or La Villa, depending on whether the person is a musician or not. The musicians get La Villa wink.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 29 2012, 02:29 AM)
YYZ or La Villa, depending on whether the person is a musician or not. The musicians get La Villa wink.gif

I have to agree that it depends on the person. There are people I know who I am sure would adore "The Garden," then there are people I know that would probably dig something from "Moving Pictures" better. Just depends...

I posted "The Garden" on my FaceBook profile, and one of my best friends from high school (who always gave me crap for liking Rush) told me it was an amazing song and she was glad I shared it with her. Time and place, my friends. I am just glad that my favorite band has such an extensive catalog that we have a wonderful CHOICE of first song! yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 29 2012, 12:29 AM)

No fair, Tery. I'm not a musician but I'd take LVS over YYZ any day of the week. unsure.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 29 2012, 08:29 AM)

While I love both, I think you should at least play them something with Geddy singing on it

The Spirit of Radio. That song has it all. Great music, perfect lyrics, lots of twists and turns, it's basically the definitive Rush tune.

Then, if they liked it, I'd tell them to sit down and devote 9 minutes to Natural Science. It will either a) Completely blow their mind and leave them a Rush fan for life, or cool.gif scare them away. It's a risk worth taking.

Also, anything from the first half of Moving Pictures would probably work just as well. I'm surprised that Tom Sawyer hasn't been mentioned yet. That's the song that got me!

Edited by Dscrapre

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Jun 29 2012, 09:39 AM)
The Spirit of Radio. That song has it all. Great music, perfect lyrics, lots of twists and turns, it's basically the definitive Rush tune.

Then, if they liked it, I'd tell them to sit down and devote 9 minutes to Natural Science. It will either a) Completely blow their mind and leave them a Rush fan for life, or cool.gif scare them away. It's a risk worth taking.

Also, anything from the first half of Moving Pictures would probably work just as well. I'm surprised that Tom Sawyer hasn't been mentioned yet. That's the song that got me!

goodpost.gif

Personally - it would be Natty Sci.... but for others, definitely TSOR

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Jun 29 2012, 07:05 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 29 2012, 08:29 AM)

While I love both, I think you should at least play them something with Geddy singing on it

most folks don't dig ged's voice on first listen