The Garden

lonelymoon

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Jun 26 2012, 06:25 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 26 2012, 05:17 PM)
In English, please?  No idea what "IIWII" means.

"It is what it is," perhaps.

2.gif I was gonna ask the same thing.

I myself love the song. No complaints here.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 26 2012, 05:58 PM)
Rush ripping off Nirvana?

rofl3.gif

maybe? I would call it more tribute? I think at the end of Carnies I swear that last guitar riff sounds like the end of The Ace of Spades

I have absolutely no idea wtf the OP is talking about. Sounds like a disgruntled grunge fan ... Get with it dude grunge is dead and if you even hear an inkling of cobains style in this song you are obviously on the same shit cobain was.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 26 2012, 06:30 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 26 2012, 04:46 PM)
cool10.gif

And metaldad comes in with his classic smoke smiley, right on time as usual. trink39.gif

laugh.gif

Personally i think The Garden is a well crafted song. As well as all the songs on this album. I actually think this album Rocks...and no i am not a Rush Newbie. I personally don`t understand what you people expect from this band. It really doesn`t sound like you are fans at all. All you do is rip on them and say how they don`t meet your expectations. I wonder if Rush met you if you would meet theirs expectations ? Hey people get old ....guess what so do you, its a fact of life. Ged is not 28 any more, i think he absolutely Rocks the bass ,and his vocals are great. These guys are absolutely a great band and PROVE IT EVERY TOUR. So stop your whinning.

QUOTE (spok @ Jun 26 2012, 07:55 PM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 26 2012, 05:58 PM)
Rush ripping off Nirvana?

rofl3.gif

maybe? I would call it more tribute? I think at the end of Carnies I swear that last guitar riff sounds like the end of The Ace of Spades

The title track is similar to Cheap Trick's "Surrender" at the start.

Thefre ae all kinds of classic riffs throughout the project, but that's a good thing, IMO.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2012, 07:02 PM)
Am I the only one who feels that if you're a Rush fan and you don't like The Garden, that perhaps you have a heart of stone? confused13.gif

bekloppt.gif

You could probably guess it's not my favorite. Just not my cup of tea when they go in this direction lyrically or thematically. Beautiful musically, though.

The Garden is not a bad song but it's just not "Rush" enough for me. It's too laid back and soft. However, I do give them credit for trying something different. I think it would fit well on Geddy's My Favorite Headache album obviously because he wrote most of it.

QUOTE (lonelymoon @ Jun 26 2012, 05:56 PM)
how do you know that's bass and not guitar? It matters not, IIWII, but it could have as easily been Alex ripping off All Apologies as Geddy. Both scenarios are equally "meh". I mean, what are we to think of a lyric like, "In the fullness of time, a garden to nurture and protect"? I hear advice to fertilize and weed my tomatoes before August if I want to have homegrown salad at the Labour Day barbecue. *yawn* sarcasm.gif

Because it sounds like a bass and Geddy said it's a bass.

facepalm.gif

this thread sucks balls.

banghead.gif

QUOTE (lonelymoon @ Jun 26 2012, 06:11 PM)
I like the violin.  And I like Alex's rip off of Kurt Cobain's "All Apologies" that he plays under the violin part.  (this is just before the acoustic chords, for those of you with limited familiarity with the song) moon.gif

Is that the official lonelymoon emoticon?

Is someones moon looking to not be so lonely anymore?

The Garden is not only a great song from the album, its one of the greatest Rush songs ever written. atickhum.gif

Edited by Tick

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 26 2012, 05:17 PM)
Hey..I remember you. You're loads of fun! Thanks for stopping by! wacko.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/40oz_laugh_in_tub.gif

In English, please? No idea what "IIWII" means. Don't much care, either.

And I disagree. "The Garden" is a thing of ineffable beauty. And it is not intended to be a show-offy piece for anyone.

I think it's one of the best songs on the album...it stood out immediately. I just wonder why did they place it at the end of the album?

The song straight up rocks... 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (g under p @ Jun 27 2012, 09:46 AM)
In English, please?  No idea what "IIWII" means.  Don't much care, either.

And I disagree.  "The Garden" is a thing of ineffable beauty.  And it is not intended to be a show-offy piece for anyone.

I think it's one of the best songs on the album...it stood out immediately. I just wonder why did they place it at the end of the album?

The song straight up rocks... 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

Abso-friggin'-lutely!

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 26 2012, 04:17 PM)
QUOTE (lonelymoon @ Jun 26 2012, 04:15 PM)
What can we say about RUSH's latest attempt at a ballad except "IIWII".  Thoughts about Alex's pedestrian guitar playing  (the flat picking part in the chorus we have heard before in... oh how many other songs???  Geddy's vocal delivery shows his age more than any other song they have done.  I don't think I would say that about any other song they have done, including on this album.  Sadly sounds like an old man warbling.    sad.gif  given it repeated listenings, tried hard to like it, but the writing is on the wall:
IIWII  unsure.gif

YOU can say what you want. I disagree 2.gif

trink39.gif

What can we say except "IIWII"? Well, for starters, I can't even say THAT, since I don't know what it's short for!

Secondly, we can say oh so much more! Like, it's the most emotionally moving Rush song that I (and many other fans) have ever heard! Me and many other male Rush fans have admitted to CRYING (or at least being NEAR tears) when we first heard it. That's saying something! This is quite a unique song in the Rush catalog; very powerful.

And what the hell does "IIWII" mean? You damned kids and your Netspeak abbreviations will be the death of the English language, I'm sure.

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 26 2012, 04:17 PM)
QUOTE (lonelymoon @ Jun 26 2012, 04:15 PM)
What can we say about RUSH's latest attempt at a ballad except "IIWII".  Thoughts about Alex's pedestrian guitar playing  (the flat picking part in the chorus we have heard before in... oh how many other songs???  Geddy's vocal delivery shows his age more than any other song they have done.  I don't think I would say that about any other song they have done, including on this album.  Sadly sounds like an old man warbling.    sad.gif  given it repeated listenings, tried hard to like it, but the writing is on the wall:
IIWII  unsure.gif

YOU can say what you want. I disagree 2.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 27 2012, 09:48 AM)

And what the hell does "IIWII" mean?  You damned kids and your Netspeak abbreviations will be the death of the English language, I'm sure.

I prefer to say "ILIVMTY".

QUOTE (g under p @ Jun 27 2012, 06:46 AM)
In English, please?  No idea what "IIWII" means.  Don't much care, either.

And I disagree.  "The Garden" is a thing of ineffable beauty.  And it is not intended to be a show-offy piece for anyone.

Obviously for it's powerfully dramatic effect, and it makes for an amazing and fitting conclusion to the concept.

I get serious goosebumps when I hear The Garden. One of their most emotional and powerful songs ever. I feel sorry for those who are missing out on that.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 27 2012, 09:56 AM)
I get serious goosebumps when I hear The Garden.

Same here, brother.

QUOTE (lonelymoon @ Jun 26 2012, 03:15 PM)
What can we say about RUSH's latest attempt at a ballad except "IIWII". Thoughts about Alex's pedestrian guitar playing (the flat picking part in the chorus we have heard before in... oh how many other songs??? Geddy's vocal delivery shows his age more than any other song they have done. I don't think I would say that about any other song they have done, including on this album. Sadly sounds like an old man warbling. sad.gif given it repeated listenings, tried hard to like it, but the writing is on the wall:
IIWII unsure.gif

Stupid f**k.