Neil Peart is he the best rock drummer of all time

The Vigilante

I like how innovative Neil has been over the years.. yes theres the Keith Moon , John Bonham, Bill Bruford, Stewart Copland,Terry Bozzio, Lars, etc etc. But when you put it all together,He has done everthing they have done and more the feel,degree of difficulty, innovativeness, time keeping,the off beat,time signatures,odd meters and flat out mind boggling stuff on over half the albums its hard for me to disagree. Ya alot of metal drummers can double bass till the bass drum flys off and have great technique, and there fast as heck,Dennis Chambers rings a bell also But alot lack the feel of the material. And my observation over the years of his playing is he can school anyone when it comes to the drum roll, I've heard so many variations of his rolls that he has basically covered it all in my listening. He could write a book 101 ways to roll lol.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so but if you do, nothing wrong with that trink39.gif

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Jun 22 2012, 01:08 PM)
I predict that this thread will end badly.

Oh yes

There is no such thing as best drummer, same as best painter, best actor, etc...it is all subjective.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 22 2012, 01:14 PM)
There is no such thing as best drummer, same as best painter, best actor, etc...it is all subjective.

yes.gif

He's my favorite. I don't believe in the concept of a best drummer ever...it's too damn subjective.

I am old enough to have been lucky enough to have seen the so-called best rock drummers and the dude who thinks Keith Moon is overrated has his head up his ass, no offense intended. If you know anything at all about drumming, which I do, timing is not everything. Peart has said many times that Moon was his first and foremost biggest influence on his drum style and is also his favorite drummer. John Bonham and Bill Ward were also two of the best drummers ever, although Bonham could get a bit sloppy. I saw Moon in 1973, 75, and 76 and he was by far the best supportive drummer I ever saw hands down. Yes, Peart is a phenominal time keeper and can play complicated rhythms, but you have to admit that he can sound a bit stiff at times. Moon played his own style and if you listen to Live at Leeds, you can hear how great he was. He didn't have to keep perfect time because the Who were not that kind of band. Townshend played some of the best guitar in the best rock band onstage ever, and Moon supported his style along with Entwistle, also the best bass player ever. I like Rush and their brilliant musical abilities, but the guy who said there is no such thing as the best drummer is correct. One style is different than another, and some play better or faster or sloppier than others. I also saw Peart nine times in concert from 1976-92 and he is by far the best drummer for Rush, just as Moon was the best drummer for The Who, and that is all that can really be said about it. We all have our favorites, and that is good. To say Moon is over-rated is ridiculous. I suppose thousands of people who saw him in concert and listened to Who records and are familiar with his fantastic drumming must all be wrong then. I like his style better than Peart's for some reasons and Peart's better than Moon's for other reasons, but to say one is better than the other is a non issue. Nuff said.

ReRushed - I like your anologies. I agree with your comment that some fanatics on this site might not understand your logic. I always say never underestimate the stupidity and shallow mindedness of the mass majority. Just look at how many people watch television and go see meaningless bullshit movies and you will know what I mean. As I said, Rush is great, but not the greatest. I like blue and he likes green. Big deal. Both are good enough for each person and it's like horses for courses. To each his own. Life goes on. As for Stewart Copeland and the Police, all their songs sound the same after awhile, although he is also one of my favorite drummers, so there you go. Bill Bruford is a fantastic drummer, but the bands he played in are a bit narcisstic in a non egotistical way. Too perfect timing puts me to sleep. The Who were the most powerful band to have stepped onto a concert stage in their heydays, and if you ask anyone who saw them with Moon they will say the same thing, no matter what other bands they saw. And I agree of course. There are many very good bands, but very few great ones, and The Who and Rush are two of them. Completely different styles and just as good as the other in some ways, but I do like the Who more for their stage presentations, which is neither here nor there. Pink Floyd is another fantastic band, but I saw them in 1977 and almost left because I was so bored. ELP are another great band, and Carl Palmer is one of the fastest drummers I ever saw, but they also can be a bit overbearing. But what do I know?

QUOTE (roodrood @ Jun 22 2012, 07:45 PM)
ReRushed - I like your anologies. I agree with your comment that some fanatics on this site might not understand your logic. I always say never underestimate the stupidity and shallow mindedness of the mass majority. Just look at how many people watch television and go see meaningless bullshit movies and you will know what I mean. As I said, Rush is great, but not the greatest. I like blue and he likes green. Big deal. Both are good enough for each person and it's like horses for courses. To each his own. Life goes on. As for Stewart Copeland and the Police, all their songs sound the same after awhile, although he is also one of my favorite drummers, so there you go. Bill Bruford is a fantastic drummer, but the bands he played in are a bit narcisstic in a non egotistical way. Too perfect timing puts me to sleep. The Who were the most powerful band to have stepped onto a concert stage in their heydays, and if you ask anyone who saw them with Moon they will say the same thing, no matter what other bands they saw. And I agree of course. There are many very good bands, but very few great ones, and The Who and Rush are two of them. Completely different styles and just as good as the other in some ways, but I do like the Who more for their stage presentations, which is neither here nor there. Pink Floyd is another fantastic band, but I saw them in 1977 and almost left because I was so bored. ELP are another great band, and Carl Palmer is one of the fastest drummers I ever saw, but they also can be a bit overbearing. But what do I know?

It's a sarcastic post. Read through Music of the Spheres.

QUOTE (tel @ Jun 22 2012, 11:17 AM)
Keith moon is vastly overated. bolt.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Edited by DBJetsman

I like Moon, Bonham ect. But I think overall Neil is the best. His creativity is hands down over the top. But with the previous two drummers mentioned who have passed. We will never know what they would have done later on in there careers. Which is truly sad.

QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jun 22 2012, 06:44 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 22 2012, 05:50 PM)
I guess I hold my standards for mankind a bit too high - hell, half of you can't even grasp this logic!

I get it. A debate of subjective greatness naturally flows into "standards for mankind". confused13.gif

laugh.gif

Music is art,

We all have our different opinions. That's what makes it great. 2.gif

QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jun 22 2012, 10:44 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 22 2012, 05:50 PM)
I guess I hold my standards for mankind a bit too high - hell, half of you can't even grasp this logic!

I get it. A debate of subjective greatness naturally flows into "standards for mankind". confused13.gif

Harrison Bergeron