Clockwork Angels Redeems Rush Even Further

rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 12:50 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 18 2012, 06:33 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 18 2012, 09:20 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 18 2012, 07:11 AM)
S&A is a Comback album huh ? That is some funny shit laugh.gif

yes.gif

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober)
Have at it!

Everything you said is entirely your subjective opinion, of course. In mine, VT wasn't nearly the travesty you make it, and S&A not nearly the welcome "comeback" you say. We can agree CA is awesome, but for me it isn't a second great album in a row, it's a first after the dull S&A. There's my opinion.

Yep, and it's wrong...but hey... biggrin.gif

Exactly!

laugh.gif

And just because it's all my subjective opinion doesn't mean I'm wrong! no.gif tongue.gif 1287.gif moon.gif

Doesn't mean you're RIGHT, either.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 18 2012, 05:57 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 18 2012, 02:57 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 18 2012, 09:15 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 18 2012, 07:40 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 18 2012, 07:30 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 18 2012, 07:17 AM)

Yeah and I feel that way about the lazy song writing on this album, and we go around and around. Some people actually like S&A.

Lazy ? You talk out of your ass way to much

A bunch of really dull choruses in damn near every song? Yeah that would be lazy song writing. But keep jacking off to very average Rush and pretend its as good as the best albums, while trashing albums other people like. Noone cares.

Never said it was MP or anything like that. So no, no jerking off for me twit . Let me ask you this prince charming , you always say the mods here suck , the board is a joke, so why do you still come here ? Why ? Then you get all pissy when somebody calls you a Troll . Don't like it ? Go and take the know it all attitude with you, it's played to death bro

Trenken says we mods suck? fists crying.gif

If that's true, I find that to be a curious comment from him as we've not busted his balls too much about his rampant negativity. We've pretty much let him express his opinions as he's seen fit. What's he got to complain about as far as how we mods have treated him?

Trenken, while we're on the subject, ask yourself why SO MANY people react the way they do to your posts. Is it coincidence? A conspiracy? Or do you not realize how your posts come across to other people?

IMO, Trenken loves to attempt to piss off people who disagree with him or who like newer Rush albums. A lot of folks here, including me and for good reason, find his attitudes to be arrogant, condescending, and very irritating.....and he knows it and enjoys it. I think he knows exactly what he is doing with his obnoxious posts and feels he can get away with pretty much posting any s*** that he wants to. He just doesn't express opinions.... he instigates and incites to no end and loves to see other members, esp those who are loving CA, get upset.

So yeah, that's why he is here....despite hating the board, Rush fans, new Rush albums, and the mods....he gets his thrills out of "stoking the fire"....and he's been pretty successful at it.

Pretty sad.

No offence...but you sound a little too touchy Bro.

He (and many others) have stated many things that I absolutely don't agree with...but I don't think he is simply a "shit disturber" or whatever. He is stating his opinions.

IMO...too many people here are so over-sensitive about any negativity towards the band. Yes, this is a RUSH forum, and believe me, I am the biggest 'fanboi' out there. I LOVE this band...they are a huge part of my life.

But if someone says S&A is shit (MD! tongue.gif ) ...who cares? I laugh it off, or I play along. Too many of you don't know how to play along.

But hey...all of this is just my opinion. Carry on.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 18 2012, 07:46 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 18 2012, 05:57 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 18 2012, 02:57 PM)

Yeah and I feel that way about the lazy song writing on this album, and we go around and around. Some people actually like S&A.

A bunch of really dull choruses in damn near every song? Yeah that would be lazy song writing. But keep jacking off to very average Rush and pretend its as good as the best albums, while trashing albums other people like. Noone cares.

Never said it was MP or anything like that. So no, no jerking off for me twit . Let me ask you this prince charming , you always say the mods here suck , the board is a joke, so why do you still come here ? Why ? Then you get all pissy when somebody calls you a Troll . Don't like it ? Go and take the know it all attitude with you, it's played to death bro

If that's true, I find that to be a curious comment from him as we've not busted his balls too much about his rampant negativity. We've pretty much let him express his opinions as he's seen fit. What's he got to complain about as far as how we mods have treated him?

Trenken, while we're on the subject, ask yourself why SO MANY people react the way they do to your posts. Is it coincidence? A conspiracy? Or do you not realize how your posts come across to other people?

IMO, Trenken loves to attempt to piss off people who disagree with him or who like newer Rush albums. A lot of folks here, including me and for good reason, find his attitudes to be arrogant, condescending, and very irritating.....and he knows it and enjoys it. I think he knows exactly what he is doing with his obnoxious posts and feels he can get away with pretty much posting any s*** that he wants to. He just doesn't express opinions.... he instigates and incites to no end and loves to see other members, esp those who are loving CA, get upset.

So yeah, that's why he is here....despite hating the board, Rush fans, new Rush albums, and the mods....he gets his thrills out of "stoking the fire"....and he's been pretty successful at it.

Pretty sad.

No offence...but you sound a little too touchy Bro.

He (and many others) have stated many things that I absolutely don't agree with...but I don't think he is simply a "shit disturber" or whatever. He is stating his opinions.

IMO...too many people here are so over-sensitive about any negativity towards the band. Yes, this is a RUSH forum, and believe me, I am the biggest 'fanboi' out there. I LOVE this band...they are a huge part of my life.

But if someone says S&A is shit (MD! tongue.gif ) ...who cares? I laugh it off, or I play along. Too many of you don't know how to play along.

But hey...all of this is just my opinion. Carry on.

Its not about being touchy because there are a LOT of people on here who get pissed by his attitudes, and has nothing or little to do with liking or not liking something. Read what 1001001...the mod said sbove.....it's true.....rampant negativity and looking to provoke and instigate. I would have no issues with him saying he does not like CA, gave his reasons, and moved on, but what he does is far beyond that and he knows he's doing it and enjoys it. Yes, he is intelligent, articulates his opinions well and backs them up reasonably and I would not call him a full out troll, but damn he can be obnoxious, arrogant, and very condescending.

"It's not what you say but how you say it" holds true here.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 18 2012, 01:00 PM)
TFE is much better than VT.

Totally agree - T4E is a good album (with exception of Dog Years and Virtuality 062802puke_prv.gif ). VT - not even close to good.

As for CA, I will continue to withhold opinion. Since I got it I have only had the time to listen to it 4 times so I just don't want to comment to much at this point. Still really forming my opinions. I will say this however:

1. Their is a lot going on musically. Then again, its Rush so thats hardly a shock.

2. The recording / sound quality is, to my ears, sooo much better than VT. Its not as good as S&A but I am not complaining at all. The reverse actually.

3. After 4 times in my CD player I have a strong feeling that this album will grow on me. Just got a lot to absorb.

4. Halo Effect is my favorite song from the album - at this point. That has been consistent through the 4 listens so far.

5. To my ears this album is the reverse of S & A in that S&A started great and then got weaker during its 2nd half (although I enjoy "We Hold On"). CA, to my ears, starts week and gets better. How week, how much better and how much I like it I will, as said, continue to keep to myself. Need to get the time to listen to it more and really appreciate it. Like most Rush albums I find that I need to savor it like a good wine. Not chug it down like a cheap beer.

Enjoy folks!!

trink39.gif

IMHO, The 3 of them could fart into a mic on a 4 track recorder, and I'd buy It! and love it! smile.gif Why? Because it is Rush!!! smile.gif

That doesn't mean I don't have a sense of objectivity when I listen to them. I think it's just that my cup is always completely full, musically speaking, when I listen to the boys, with the honest exception of the 1st album. Sanz Neil! It took my a long time to even accept that album as Rush! Oh, the irony!

Do you know all the words to Face Up? Or Tai Shan? Or Good New First? smile.gif

Although I agree it is a free forum, and you should be able to voice your opinions. BUT: Pissing in the Rush community pool, less than 1 week after CA's release seems a bit antagonistic!

2 More Cents! smile.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 18 2012, 08:04 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 18 2012, 07:56 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 18 2012, 09:40 PM)

A bunch of really dull choruses in damn near every song? Yeah that would be lazy song writing. But keep jacking off to very average Rush

So does that mean you jack off to only the best Rush like Moving Pictures, PeW, and Hemispheres? pokey.gif

Jack off? Yes. I still listen to everything else though, but they dont give me that 'rush'. Im not going to say this album is great just because they're old and at the end of their careers.

Sure its better than nothing, but Permanent Waves is great. I cant use that same word for this album, most of which I find really dull because Geddy has no idea how to break away from this crap song writing style he started getting into around T4E I guess.

I like PW but the lyrics are certainly not exceptional. Certainly nothing I'd use in my Freshman Lit class.

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Jun 18 2012, 05:26 PM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 18 2012, 08:01 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 07:13 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 18 2012, 05:11 AM)

Yes, and while it's far from perfect, it's 100 times better than the album that preceded it.

no it is not no.gif

Got to agree that its not 100 times better than VT.

Try 1000 times - thats more like it.

My original post said 1000, but I edited it to 100 before I posted it. I was trying not to be TOO harsh. tongue.gif

QUOTE (ScottT67 @ Jun 18 2012, 07:30 PM)
Aside from the Recording levels being distorted on the produced discs ( which was a disappintment) , VT was Rush's triumphant return!

Redemption from VT????

Cover To Cover, I love VT!

Maybe you would have understood it better, had you read Ghost Rider!

Just 2 Cents, and 1 humble opinion! smile.gif

Ghost Rider was a fine book but it did not help me like the music.

Read Ghost Rider several times it was so good - and that's not something I do a lot. Usually its one and done.

It actually helped me with my job because I supervised a women who lost her only child due to suicide (he was in his early 20's) and some of the things Neil mentioned in the book just sort of clicked with what I was seeing this employee going through. Enabled me to help her (to the extent I could) and sort of minimize any additional damage by not doing anything totally dumb.

Can't say enough good things about the book. The album.... oh well

But if you enjoy it thats more than fine with me. Glad you do. I probably like some music you would not, so its more than totally cool with me.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 05:55 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 18 2012, 12:57 PM)

I still think Trenken's member title should be "Our Resident Ray of Sunshine" tongue.gif

I was going to suggest "Oscar The Grouch" or "Eternal Monday Morning" laugh.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 18 2012, 06:22 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 05:55 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 18 2012, 12:57 PM)

I still think Trenken's member title should be "Our Resident Ray of Sunshine" tongue.gif

I was going to suggest "Oscar The Grouch" or "Eternal Monday Morning" laugh.gif

My go to is always for sarcasm. wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 08:15 PM)

Yes, and while it's far from perfect, it's 100 times better than the album that preceded it.

no it is not no.gif

My original post said 1000, but I edited it to 100 before I posted it. I was trying not to be TOO harsh. tongue.gif

laugh.gif

I actually had not listened to it in a while but, inspired by your ranking of the top 75 Rush songs, The Owl's review of all of Rush's albums, Deckillers (sadly) not yet completed ranking and review of all of Rush songs and Gompers polls in which he asked us to rank Rush's albums I went back recently and listened to all of Rush's work. Point is, I am trying to put together a ranking of all Rush songs (not including those from CA). I thought it would be hard and its even harder then I thought. Anyway, as part of this I actually paid special attention to VT.

First I listend to the 1st 5 songs one night, the next 5 the next night and the remainder the 3rd night. Then I went back and gave then entire thing another listen at one sitting. No other album got this amount of time and effort.

So what did I find? Found that I disliked it even more than I remembered.

sad.gif

Oh well. At least their is sooo much good music by Rush out there. Just ignore VT from now on and enjoy all the good stuff. At least this helped firm up the bottom part of my list and the top 10 was not problem. Its everything else that is in-between that is tough to rank. One of these days I will finish it and publish it.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Jun 18 2012, 06:37 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 08:15 PM)

no it is not no.gif

laugh.gif

I actually had not listened to it in a while but, inspired by your ranking of the top 75 Rush songs, The Owl's review of all of Rush's albums, Deckillers (sadly) not yet completed ranking and review of all of Rush songs and Gompers polls in which he asked us to rank Rush's albums I went back recently and listened to all of Rush's work. Point is, I am trying to put together a ranking of all Rush songs (not including those from CA). I thought it would be hard and its even harder then I thought. Anyway, as part of this I actually paid special attention to VT.

First I listend to the 1st 5 songs one night, the next 5 the next night and the remainder the 3rd night. Then I went back and gave then entire thing another listen at one sitting. No other album got this amount of time and effort.

So what did I find? Found that I disliked it even more than I remembered.

sad.gif

Oh well. At least their is sooo much good music by Rush out there. Just ignore VT from now on and enjoy all the good stuff. At least this helped firm up the bottom part of my list and the top 10 was not problem. Its everything else that is in-between that is tough to rank. One of these days I will finish it and publish it.

trink39.gif

I'd love to see your list.

Yeah, thankfully Rush have so many great albums to choose from.

And even though the thread has a major dig against VT, there is also the positive subtext that they've had two really good albums in a row now, and the recent one is pretty great, maybe even better than that! I'm very grateful that they turned things around. yes.gif

I really don't enjoy VT a whole lot, but I'll give the songs a listen here and there if they pop up in my playlist. Right now I'm listening to Earthshine, and I'm instantly reminded why I don't like this album: Those damn Geddy choirs! I like Freeze too, except for that damn choir in the chorus. Otherwise it'd be a real good song IMO

Personally I think since the 21st century began, the music started out crappy, got exponentially better with SnA, and now CA is just amazing. Using my straight line logic, their next album should be perfect smile.gif

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 18 2012, 08:46 PM)
I really don't enjoy VT a whole lot, but I'll give the songs a listen here and there if they pop up in my playlist. Right now I'm listening to Earthshine, and I'm instantly reminded why I don't like this album: Those damn Geddy choirs! I like Freeze too, except for that damn choir in the chorus. Otherwise it'd be a real good song IMO

Personally I think since the 21st century began, the music started out crappy, got exponentially better with SnA, and now CA is just amazing. Using my straight line logic, their next album should be perfect smile.gif

Lets hope.... new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 18 2012, 07:57 PM)
QUOTE (phoenix87 @ Jun 18 2012, 05:56 PM)
In my eyes, they never needed redemption.

goodpost.gif

Just be happy Neil decided to return to the band. Other wise, we wouldn't even be discussing this stuff. wink.gif 2.gif

I'm grateful for that, as otherwise we'd have no S&A, and especially no CA! If we had to go through VT for that, I suppose it was worth it. Like I said, those two albums, CA especially, goes a LONG way towards redeeming them from the bad memory of that album. Maybe they needed no redemption to you and some others, but they sure needed to redeem themselves in my eyes. That they did so dramatically is nothing short of a miracle.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 19 2012, 02:20 AM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 18 2012, 07:57 PM)
QUOTE (phoenix87 @ Jun 18 2012, 05:56 PM)
In my eyes, they never needed redemption.

goodpost.gif

Just be happy Neil decided to return to the band. Other wise, we wouldn't even be discussing this stuff. wink.gif 2.gif

I'm grateful for that, as otherwise we'd have no S&A, and especially no CA! If we had to go through VT for that, I suppose it was worth it. Like I said, those two albums, CA especially, goes a LONG way towards redeeming them from the bad memory of that album. Maybe they needed no redemption to you and some others, but they sure needed to redeem themselves in my eyes. That they did so dramatically is nothing short of a miracle.

A Sweet Miracle?

laugh.gif tongue.gif

i'll just say this great band never needed any redeeming, yeah a couple of their albums fell a little short of the mark, like s&a for me but, they always came back with something exceptional to shut the critics up

this band has given me too much for so long to say they need redemption