Clockwork Angels is the Armor & Sword of CA!

rushgoober

I don't know if I'm quite ready to say that Clockwork Angels is a better track than Armor and Sword, or that it's even as good in these early stages of listening, but it MIGHT be, and that is saying a LOT as Armor and Sword was their best song since Subdivisions. That I'm even considering it could be as good a song is remarkable! I have an absolutely ridiculous smile on my face whenever I hear the title track of the new album. The song completely kicks my ass! yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the winding way the amazing, powerful lyrics are sung, I love the guitar solo, I love how the song slows down after the guitar solo. The whole thing just works incredibly. By far the most (maybe only) progressive song on the album.

As if to fly is the No one gets to their heaven without a fight of CA!

I think S&A starts very strong and gradually weakens as the album goes on, with a few exceptions (ie MalNar), and not in exact running order. Ultimately this adds up to me really liking 8 songs and not being so keen on the rest, but even so, the other tunes aren't terrible, just not so good.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 17 2012, 10:50 PM)
I think S&A starts very strong and gradually weakens as the album goes on, with a few exceptions (ie MalNar), and not in exact running order. Ultimately this adds up to me really liking 8 songs and not being so keen on the rest, but even so, the other tunes aren't terrible, just not so good.

What is your take on "We Hold On" Pat?

I always thought that was a great song to close out an album.

"The Garden" is yet another gem to close out a Rush album.

Hell I love "Available Light" at the end of "Presto!!"

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 18 2012, 01:07 AM)

To be fair it's better than Good News First, Faithless, Hope and Bravest Face for sure, and I suppose I might underrate this track with it being at the end and coming after a few weaker tracks...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 17 2012, 11:17 PM)

To be fair it's better than Good News First, Faithless, Hope and Bravest Face for sure, and I suppose I might underrate this track with it being at the end and coming after a few weaker tracks...

As usual dude I totally agree with you.

"We Hold On" blows those songs away!!!

trink39.gif

Well I agree that armor n sword is the best song on snakes.. The Canterbury style verse..that Cygnus chording in the middle. And the Signals-esque vocal on the chorus..great layering. Melody and harmony...that song is awesome...

Nothing on test for echo or counterparts measures up to me...the one equivalent song prior to CA would be SEcret Touch....that song is emotionally amazing....

But CA has a magic about it too....so those three stand tall

Peace

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 18 2012, 01:21 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 17 2012, 11:17 PM)

As usual dude I totally agree with you.

"We Hold On" blows those songs away!!!

trink39.gif

Aye...

It's a faster paced song too, so it means the album finishes with a bit of umph, in a similar way to Grace to Grace at the end of My Favorite Headache...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 18 2012, 08:01 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 18 2012, 02:00 AM)
Armor and Sword is a bloody awful dirge.

Hey Fonzie, it's METAL!

1022.gif

Hey Potsie, in that case you found a new genre, funeral metal...

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 18 2012, 02:11 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 18 2012, 08:01 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 18 2012, 02:00 AM)
Armor and Sword is a bloody awful dirge.

Hey Fonzie, it's METAL!

1022.gif

Hey Potsie, in that case you found a new genre, funeral metal...

It works for me...

Funeral doom!

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Jun 18 2012, 12:09 AM)
It's a breath of fresh air and a kick in the face all rolled up into one!

I like this! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The album is still new to me (only listened to it through twice so far, but I'm pacing myself!), but the title track is great, and your eloquent description sums it up nicely!

And I like your line comparison with 'Armor and Sword', Goober. I still get little goosebumps when "No one gets to their heaven..." is sung, and I have a feeling it'll be the same with "...fly...".

Clockwork Angels is the Armor & Sword of CA!

Oh, so that must be why I don't like it!

"Armor and Sword" was total dullsville - plodding, unrelentingly midtempo, and went nowhere - and so far "Clockwork Angels" hasn't grabbed me.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 12:07 AM)
I don't know if I'm quite ready to say that Clockwork Angels is a better track than Armor and Sword, or that it's even as good in these early stages of listening, but it MIGHT be, and that is saying a LOT as Armor and Sword was their best song since Subdivisions. That I'm even considering it could be as good a song is remarkable! I have an absolutely ridiculous smile on my face whenever I hear the title track of the new album. The song completely kicks my ass! yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

A&S is the best song on a pretty mediocre album....but no way is it the best Rush song since Subdivisions (!?!) wacko.gif

I love Armor and Sword. However, Clockwork Angels is a true epic and in my opinion their best prog epic written since The Camera Eye/Natural Science.

Armor and Sword had epic qualities but never for me quite reached that status. The pacing was pretty much plodding the entire song (which works for what it is).

An epic song to me is one that has twists, and turns or several different passages and pacing. They have not written anything close to epic since TCE.

Clockwork Angels just takes you on a journey. It took several listens to fully digest it, take in the lyrics, get into the chorus. A tremendous song. And one of my favorites from them in the last 20 years.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 18 2012, 04:36 AM)
I love Armor and Sword. However, Clockwork Angels is a true epic and in my opinion their best prog epic written since The Camera Eye/Natural Science.

Armor and Sword had epic qualities but never for me quite reached that status.

Clockwork Angels MIGHT be as good, or potentially better than Armor & Sword, but it's just too early in the game yet for me to determine that yet. no.gif