CA: "Rush's 20th studio album"

P-Tor

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jun 18 2012, 03:30 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 12:12 AM)
Anyone who says differently doesn't want to deal with the truth.

More like you can't handle anyone who disagrees with you. smile.gif smile.gif

FYI, Wikipedia is not the official authority on what is considered an LP or EP. Wikipedia is nothing. Posting some little snippet from Wikipedia is nothing.

Ok, well then how about just being able to count?

There are tons and tons of groups that have released EP's, and anytime those groups are ever talked about, the EP's are NOT included when discussing how many albums they've released. Suddenly Roadrunner or whomever wants to rewrite history and call an EP an album so the number is nice and even.

There are 19. Be stubborn and insist there are 20 if you must, but you're wrong. This is not an opinion. They've made 19 albums. And 1 EP of covers.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was discussed at http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=74531

IMO, technically Feedback is an EP and not a studio album (aka not an LP).

For reference, Primus' 28:18 long "Animals Should Not Try to Act Like People" is generally referred to as an EP, not as a studio album.

Of course, the real answer to whether CA is Rush's 19th or 20th studio album is "Who cares?"

QUOTE (deslock @ Jun 18 2012, 05:23 AM)

For reference, Primus' 28:18 long "Animals Should Not Try to Act Like People" is generally referred to as an EP, not as a studio album.

Of course, the real answer to whether CA is Rush's 19th or 20th studio album is "Who cares?"

Obviously the marketing team at Roadrunner Records cares! But that still doesn't make it the 20th album. wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 07:24 AM)

Obviously the marketing team at Roadrunner Records cares! But that still doesn't make it the 20th album. wink.gif

Except, Rush call it their 20th studio album. Who are we going to believe.. Rush or you? laugh.gif

2.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 05:33 AM)
There are 19.  Be stubborn and insist there are 20 if you must, but you're wrong.  This is not an opinion.  They've made 19 albums.  And 1 EP of covers.

It's not about being stubborn. It's about facts.

It is a fact that there is no official consensus on what constitutes an EP. It is a fact that there are no official time lengths for EP's. Different people have different definitions. What you call an EP is not what I call an EP, which is not what Rush or Billboard or the British charts call an EP. There is no Final Answer.

Call it an EP if you like, but it's just your opinion - not a fact.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 17 2012, 11:11 PM)
If 2.gif and everyone else in the media is calling it there 20th studio album, I'm jumping on the same bandwagon!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

There's a surprise...

Nope, to me Feedback does not count. When I think studio albums, I think original material. It was a covers EP, and I wouldn't count it IMO.

Still waiting for their 20th... cool.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 18 2012, 08:59 AM)

Except, Rush call it their 20th studio album. Who are we going to believe.. Rush or you? laugh.gif

2.gif yes.gif

Yeah...but why are they calling it their 20th?

Simple. It's a selling ploy. It sounds fantastic to be able to say 20th in the media, and all of the banners and such for CA.

It's got a nice ring to it.

Either way, I don't care. We will all disagree. Some consider Feedback, and others don't. I definitely don't. Feedback to me, is just a side-project for the band.

Like I said before, if you recall back in 2004, Geddy stated that they wanted to go on tour for their 30th Anniversary, but "felt bad" going on tour without anything to 'support', so they decided to throw together this mini-EP of covers. To me, that sounds like a side project (similar to a solo album), and nothing more.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 18 2012, 08:39 AM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 18 2012, 08:59 AM)

2.gif yes.gif

Yeah...but why are they calling it their 20th?

Simple. It's a selling ploy. It sounds fantastic to be able to say 20th in the media, and all of the banners and such for CA.

It's got a nice ring to it.

Either way, I don't care. We will all disagree. Some consider Feedback, and others don't. I definitely don't. Feedback to me, is just a side-project for the band.

Like I said before, if you recall back in 2004, Geddy stated that they wanted to go on tour for their 30th Anniversary, but "felt bad" going on tour without anything to 'support', so they decided to throw together this mini-EP of covers. To me, that sounds like a side project (similar to a solo album), and nothing more.

It could be a shrewd marketing ploy. RR research determined more people will buy a band's 20th album over their 19th album But, it could just be their 20th studio album. confused13.gif The world may never know no.gif

Yeah, it's not original material, so I guess it's not an album, then. And "RUSH" doesn't have Peart on it, so that doesn't count. And, my god, Roll the Bones!? That ain' no album! Not to mention Test for Echo and the one with a bunny on the cover.

So I guess that Clockwork 'd be their 12th studio album, simply 'cuz'n I say so (there were two others that don't count that I decided not to mention).

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 18 2012, 09:06 AM)
It's all semantics... but the way I see it:

20th studio album= yes.gif
20Th full legnth LP= no.gif

I agree with this. smile.gif

The word "album" simply means a collection of songs, photos, videos, etc. There is no minimum or maximum number of items in an album, just like there is no requirement that the songs be original.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jun 18 2012, 10:23 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 18 2012, 09:06 AM)
It's all semantics... but the way I see it:

20th studio album= yes.gif
20Th full legnth LP= no.gif

I agree with this. smile.gif

The word "album" simply means a collection of songs, photos, videos, etc. There is no minimum or maximum number of items in an album, just like there is no requirement that the songs be original.

end of thread!

19th studio album of original material composed and written by Lee, Lifeson, and Peart.

Case closed. wink.gif