Neil has done it again - Wish Them Well

Snaked

It seems like Neil has hit me right where I'm living several times over the years. Lyrics that simply speak to me on a base level, directed exactly at the point in my life where I am at that particular time.

Right now it's Wish Them Well.

What a remarkable lyric.

All that you can do is wish them well

All that you can do is wish them well

Spirits turned bitter by the poison of envy

Always angry and dissatisfied

Even the lost ones, the frightened and mean ones

Even the ones with a devil inside

Thank your stars you're not that way

Turn your back and walk away

Don't even pause and ask them why

Turn around and say goodbye

People who judge without a measure of mercy

All the victims who will never learn

Even the lost ones, you can only give up on

Even the ones who make you burn

The ones who've done you wrong

The ones who pretended to be so strong

The grudges you've held for so long

It's not worth singing that same sad song

Even though you're going through hell

Just keep on going

Let the demons dwell

Just wish them well

count me in as a fan of this song. I actually consider it one of the stronger tunes on the album smile.gif

It's like they took Carve Away The Stone and made it cool.

Yeah, it has some of the same sentiment as Carve Away the Stone which is why I think the similar riff is intentional. I agree, I love the lyrics but I also don't dislike the music the way many seem to. It's certainly not adventurous like many of the others but I like hearing them do a straight up rock song. Wish Them Well, The Garden, and Halo Effect really hit home with me lyrically. In fact I just sent the lyrics to a friend and told him I could have written those words (if I had the skill) and he agreed. I was devastated by being infatuated with a girl over 10 years ago and even though we ended up together for a while I was always feeling like I wouldn't be able to hang onto her and sure enough she just abandoned me abruptly and I still haven't recovered. I made the same mistake of pretending she was what I wanted her to be. Those lyrics are haunting for me. Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 14 2012, 12:07 PM)
Yeah, it has some of the same sentiment as Carve Away the Stone which is why I think the similar riff is intentional. I agree, I love the lyrics but I also don't dislike the music the way many seem to. It's certainly not adventurous like many of the others but I like hearing them do a straight up rock song. Wish Them Well, The Garden, and Halo Effect really hit home with me lyrically. In fact I just sent the lyrics to a friend and told him I could have written those words (if I had the skill) and he agreed. I was devastated by being infatuated with a girl over 10 years ago and even though we ended up together for a while I was always feeling like I wouldn't be able to hang onto her and sure enough she just abandoned me abruptly and I still haven't recovered. I made the same mistake of pretending she was what I wanted her to be. Those lyrics are haunting for me.

Just wish her well

QUOTE (Snaked @ Jun 14 2012, 10:09 AM)
Yeah, it has some of the same sentiment as Carve Away the Stone which is why I think the similar riff is intentional. I agree, I love the lyrics but I also don't dislike the music the way many seem to. It's certainly not adventurous like many of the others but I like hearing them do a straight up rock song. Wish Them Well, The Garden, and Halo Effect really hit home with me lyrically. In fact I just sent the lyrics to a friend and told him I could have written those words (if I had the skill) and he agreed. I was devastated by being infatuated with a girl over 10 years ago and even though we ended up together for a while I was always feeling like I wouldn't be able to hang onto her and sure enough she just abandoned me abruptly and I still haven't recovered. I made the same mistake of pretending she was what I wanted her to be. Those lyrics are haunting for me.

Just wish her well

Well, I meant the lyrics to Halo Effect but yeah, they both apply. smile.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 14 2012, 11:17 AM)

Just wish her well

Love the lyrics....musically is a straight on rocker with good melody, but nothing special overall, except a nice Alex solo in the middle.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 14 2012, 11:05 AM)
count me in as a fan of this song. I actually consider it one of the stronger tunes on the album smile.gif

I do, too, but looking at everyone's rankings of their favorite CA tracks, I think I'm in a minority.

Yesterday I picked it as my #1. Today it may be #2, but I think it'll stay in my "top four of CA" forever.

I like the vocal melody and the part where he sings "Thank your stars you're not that way, turn your back and walk away..."

It's catchy. It may be the "straight ahead rock" song on the album, but it's catchy.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 14 2012, 10:06 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 14 2012, 11:05 AM)

I do, too, but looking at everyone's rankings of their favorite CA tracks, I think I'm in a minority.

Yesterday I picked it as my #1. Today it may be #2, but I think it'll stay in my "top four of CA" forever.

I like the vocal melody and the part where he sings "Thank your stars you're not that way, turn your back and walk away..."

It's catchy. It may be the "straight ahead rock" song on the album, but it's catchy.

I love all the songs but Wish Them Well actually gave me goose bumps. Thats always a good meter smile.gif

I can safely say the title track will always be my fave.

Love this song. Great lyrics, and the straight ahead rock is pretty welcome by this point in the album. Great melody, and I think it's one of Alex's stronger solos on the album.

Just wish her well

Same here. Halo Effect has a very familiar sentiment to what I've felt before and although the song is sad, I can't help but feel angry when I listen to it because it makes me think of the betrayal I went through after setting that girl so high up in my mind. And just like the song says, my friends saw it but couldn't warn me. I just wouldn't listen to any of it because I was so blinded.

Amazing how Rush always seems to hit a spot inside that no one else can really pinpoint.

I agree that it's such a nice change of pace at that point of the album. Just straight forward...great melody...powerful lyrics. Easy top 5 on the album. But Carve away the Stone being one of my favorites off T4E would be a tip off that i'd dig this one.

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Jun 14 2012, 11:14 AM)

Just wish her well

Same here. Halo Effect has a very familiar sentiment to what I've felt before and although the song is sad, I can't help but feel angry when I listen to it because it makes me think of the betrayal I went through after setting that girl so high up in my mind. And just like the song says, my friends saw it but couldn't warn me. I just wouldn't listen to any of it because I was so blinded.

Amazing how Rush always seems to hit a spot inside that no one else can really pinpoint.

Yeah, this has happened to me so many times over 30 years from Subdivisions to Mission to The Pass to Everyday Glory to Faithless and many, many others right up to and including the new album. I swear it's almost like they're writing many of these specifically for me even though I know others connect to them, too. It's just astonishing how often that has happened and apart from the awesome music it's why I'll never have the same connection to another band. Neil is so good at taking the personal and specific and making it universally applicable.

I'm not a huge fan of the music to this one (it's a solid Rush tune, certainly not a skipper), but lyrically it hits pretty close to home for me. In fact, the tone of the album is hitting home, though I haven't really explored the lyrics that much.

I'm a pretty religious guy, but recently I've been through the ringer in that area. I signed the final papers for my divorce on Friday to a woman I'd been married to for 12 years- the love of my life. Over the last few years she's battled with depression which has led to emotional neglect and abuse, culminating in suicide threats and attempts. Ultimately I just couldn't handle it anymore and filed for divorce to protect both myself and our 2 year old's emotional well being

I was the worship leader at my church, and this act was met with a rebuke and ultimately I ended up leaving the church. I can only handle so much exhortation to remain in an abusive situation before it got too wearing on me (and it's quite embarrassing to attend a church where you've been asked to step down from a very public position).

So not only this song, but even BU2B and BU2B2 really resonate with me. In the end, I choose life and that in and of itself was a positive, if bitter pill. I haven't lost my faith, but I have had to let some things go. Namely that if I followed the church's plan that I could make my marriage work and overcome the mental struggle that came from living with and trying to love her. It just doesn't work that way, as much as I thought it would.

You know, I suffered a lot of pain as people abandoned and judged me, but all I can do is wish them well. I've chosen life, and I am glad for my decision, as painful as it was. They'll never see it that way, but they don't have to.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Jun 14 2012, 12:43 PM)
I'm not a huge fan of the music to this one (it's a solid Rush tune, certainly not a skipper), but lyrically it hits pretty close to home for me. In fact, the tone of the album is hitting home, though I haven't really explored the lyrics that much.

I'm a pretty religious guy, but recently I've been through the ringer in that area. I signed the final papers for my divorce on Friday to a woman I'd been married to for 12 years- the love of my life. Over the last few years she's battled with depression which has led to emotional neglect and abuse, culminating in suicide threats and attempts. Ultimately I just couldn't handle it anymore and filed for divorce to protect both myself and our 2 year old's emotional well being

I was the worship leader at my church, and this act was met with a rebuke and ultimately I ended up leaving the church. I can only handle so much exhortation to remain in an abusive situation before it got too wearing on me (and it's quite embarrassing to attend a church where you've been asked to step down from a very public position).

So not only this song, but even BU2B and BU2B2 really resonate with me. In the end, I choose life and that in and of itself was a positive, if bitter pill. I haven't lost my faith, but I have had to let some things go. Namely that if I followed the church's plan that I could make my marriage work and overcome the mental struggle that came from living with and trying to love her. It just doesn't work that way, as much as I thought it would.

You know, I suffered a lot of pain as people abandoned and judged me, but all I can do is wish them well. I've chosen life, and I am glad for my decision, as painful as it was. They'll never see it that way, but they don't have to.

Dude, sorry you've been through the wringer like that. Hope life gets better soon!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 14 2012, 12:49 PM)

Dude, sorry you've been through the wringer like that. Hope life gets better soon!

trink39.gif

Thanks smile.gif

In so many ways it already has. Letting go is hard, but that's what this song is really about and it's where I'm at now. Such a better place.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 14 2012, 01:48 PM)
I like the lyrics but the song is just incredibly generic. Lyrics deserved a much better song than this throwaway crap.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion however I disagree.

All that I can do is wish you well.

Sorry to hear that. You did the right thing to protect your children in that way. More power to you.

hug2.gif

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Jun 14 2012, 11:43 AM)

That's horrible man, I'm sorry. Before I met the woman I referred to earlier I had never been so emotionally attached to someone and I just couldn't relate to other peoples' relationship pains even when I tried to. But now I wouldn't wish what I went through on my worst enemy, I was close to suicidal for a while.

As far as Rush goes though I do love the fact that they seem to speak to so many people whether they're politically left or right or religious or non-religious and so on. I know Neil is critical of religion and I do relate to that but it's really a personal worldview he has that I share and it's in no way hateful. What's funny is that I'm pretty conservative otherwise so I don't really fit in with any large group except I guess loosely with Libertarians. Most of my family is fairly religious and I completely respect that because I know they get a lot of comfort from it. Regardless about how I feel about it intellectually I always try to remind myself that the highest goal in life is happiness and if a person's faith makes them happy and isn't hostile to anyone else then that's a good thing.

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (Snaked @ Jun 14 2012, 12:56 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 14 2012, 01:48 PM)
I like the lyrics but the song is just incredibly generic. Lyrics deserved a much better song than this throwaway crap.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion however I disagree.

All that I can do is wish you well.

goodpost.gif

And Thank your stars you're not that way

Trenken and a couple others here and on Counterparts immediately sprang to mind when I heard this song. tongue.gif

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Jun 14 2012, 10:43 AM)

Sorry Jeff, I know my divorce almost killed me. Glad you chose life. You'll always have friends here. trink39.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 14 2012, 12:29 PM)
QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Jun 14 2012, 11:14 AM)

Just wish her well

Yeah, this has happened to me so many times over 30 years from Subdivisions to Mission to The Pass to Everyday Glory to Faithless and many, many others right up to and including the new album. I swear it's almost like they're writing many of these specifically for me even though I know others connect to them, too. It's just astonishing how often that has happened and apart from the awesome music it's why I'll never have the same connection to another band. Neil is so good at taking the personal and specific and making it universally applicable.

People always think I connect everything to Rush because I love them so much... what they don't get is that I love them so much because I can connect them to everything.

Neil is an absolute master/genius at putting words together

within verses, that everyone can relate to, at some point

in their lifetime..Incredible talent.

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif