Neil has done it again - Wish Them Well

Snaked

I absolutely love this song, especially the "thank your stars" parts--so catchy! And, to boot, it delivers a message well worth keeping in mind.

I'm thinking it's the CA song least likely to make the set, though. Comments from the band members themselves seem to indicate they're not particularly fond of it, and I think they'll be more inclined to go with the heavier or more-atmospheric material anyway.

QUOTE (Snaked @ Jun 14 2012, 11:01 AM)
It seems like Neil has hit me right where I'm living several times over the years. Lyrics that simply speak to me on a base level, directed exactly at the point in my life where I am at that particular time.

Right now it's Wish Them Well.
What a remarkable lyric.

All that you can do is wish them well
All that you can do is wish them well

Spirits turned bitter by the poison of envy
Always angry and dissatisfied
Even the lost ones, the frightened and mean ones
Even the ones with a devil inside

Thank your stars you're not that way
Turn your back and walk away
Don't even pause and ask them why
Turn around and say goodbye

People who judge without a measure of mercy
All the victims who will never learn
Even the lost ones, you can only give up on
Even the ones who make you burn

The ones who've done you wrong
The ones who pretended to be so strong
The grudges you've held for so long
It's not worth singing that same sad song

Even though you're going through hell
Just keep on going
Let the demons dwell

Just wish them well

Yeah! Me too! A lot happened in the last few years which I will not go into. This album is already helping me deal with things and hopefully move on and "wish them well."

But like you, once again Neil's lyrics and subjects in his songs parallel where I am. Rush has been there for me for 35 years now and each album reflects a certain chapter in my life. It is absolutely amazing! 2.gif

Edited by Earthshine

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 14 2012, 11:05 AM)
count me in as a fan of this song. I actually consider it one of the stronger tunes on the album smile.gif

It's like they took Carve Away The Stone and made it cool.

laugh.gif Yeah, they somehow did a suck-ectomy to Carve Away The Stone and made it a rocking tune.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Jun 14 2012, 11:43 AM)
I'm not a huge fan of the music to this one (it's a solid Rush tune, certainly not a skipper), but lyrically it hits pretty close to home for me. In fact, the tone of the album is hitting home, though I haven't really explored the lyrics that much.

I'm a pretty religious guy, but recently I've been through the ringer in that area. I signed the final papers for my divorce on Friday to a woman I'd been married to for 12 years- the love of my life. Over the last few years she's battled with depression which has led to emotional neglect and abuse, culminating in suicide threats and attempts. Ultimately I just couldn't handle it anymore and filed for divorce to protect both myself and our 2 year old's emotional well being

I was the worship leader at my church, and this act was met with a rebuke and ultimately I ended up leaving the church. I can only handle so much exhortation to remain in an abusive situation before it got too wearing on me (and it's quite embarrassing to attend a church where you've been asked to step down from a very public position).

So not only this song, but even BU2B and BU2B2 really resonate with me. In the end, I choose life and that in and of itself was a positive, if bitter pill. I haven't lost my faith, but I have had to let some things go. Namely that if I followed the church's plan that I could make my marriage work and overcome the mental struggle that came from living with and trying to love her. It just doesn't work that way, as much as I thought it would.

You know, I suffered a lot of pain as people abandoned and judged me, but all I can do is wish them well. I've chosen life, and I am glad for my decision, as painful as it was. They'll never see it that way, but they don't have to.

Humility is a virtue.

Didn't pray for that did you? wink.gif

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Jun 14 2012, 06:26 PM)
Neil is an absolute master/genius at putting words together
within verses, that everyone can relate to, at some point
in their lifetime..Incredible talent.

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

I agree!!

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 14 2012, 05:52 PM)
count me in as a fan of this song. I actually consider it one of the stronger tunes on the album smile.gif

laugh.gif Yeah, they somehow did a suck-ectomy to Carve Away The Stone and made it a rocking tune.

What???

I will not make any comments about Wish Them Well as I have only listened to the album 3 times which is not near enough for me to start forming opinions that I want to share with others about the songs on CA or the album itself.

That being said I am totally confused by both posts. i thought Care Away the Stone was a very good song. Perhaps the 2nd best song on T4E. Only Resist is better. You guys did not like it?

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Jun 14 2012, 08:48 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 14 2012, 05:52 PM)

What???

I will not make any comments about Wish Them Well as I have only listened to the album 3 times which is not near enough for me to start forming opinions that I want to share with others about the songs on CA or the album itself.

That being said I am totally confused by both posts. i thought Care Away the Stone was a very good song. Perhaps the 2nd best song on T4E. Only Resist is better. You guys did not like it?

i'd put carve away the stone and wish them well in the same suck league. biggrin.gif

I love this song and didn't care for "Carve Away the Stone" at all; frankly, I don't know why people think they're even similar.

It's weird, this song while never "bad" was one of my least favorite on CA, but now it's one of my very favorite.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 15 2012, 05:04 AM)
I love this song and didn't care for "Carve Away the Stone" at all; frankly, I don't know why people think they're even similar.

+1

Carve Away the Stone hasn't magically gotten better to these ears yet, will keep trying every 5 years or so!