Clockwork Angels to Debut at #2

rushgoober

From RIAB:

Billboard.com reports that Rush's Clockwork Angels album is set to debut at #2 next week on the Billboard 200, just behind Usher's Looking 4 Myself:

Usher is heading for his fourth No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 chart, as "Looking 4 Myself" should easily top the list next week. Industry sources say the album will sell around 120,000 to 130,000 copies by the end of the tracking week on Sunday, June 17. ... Other albums aiming for high debuts next week on the Billboard 200 include Rush's "Clockwork Angels," ... Rush's latest -- the band's first studio album since 2007 -- may sell around 80,000 to 90,000. Its last set, "Snakes & Arrows," flew in at No. 3 with 93,000. ...

Hits Daily Double reports the same thing, but with slightly higher sales estimates:

... Canadian prog-rock icons Rush's debut for the Roadrunner label, Clockwork Angels, is the next biggest debut, with estimates in the 85-95k range. That would match, or best, the total of their last album, 2007's Snakes & Arrows on Atlantic, which bowed with 93k. The veteran band's following is among the most loyal-and unabashedly geeky-in all of rock. ...

So unless Adele's 21 bumps them, it looks like Clockwork Angels should debut at #2. Billboard will release the week's album chart next Wednesday, June 20th. The album is #3 on iTunes and is still holding at #1 on the Amazon Best Seller list for Music.

http://www.billboard.com/news/usher-lookin...007321352.story

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPa...gi?news09013m01

Edited by rushgoober

That #1 still eludes them.

The thing that pisses me off, is I've been watching what's #1 in music on Amazon for days off and on, and Rush is either at #1 or close to it, whereas Usher is WAAAAAAYYYY behind #1. How does he do so badly on Amazon and still sell more f*cking albums? angry.gif

#2 is nothing to scoff at, but it simply does NOT have the same impact as #1 by a long shot. It's just not the same thing.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 14 2012, 07:50 AM)

The thing that pisses me off, is I've been watching what's #1 in music on Amazon for days off and on, and Rush is either at #1 or close to it, whereas Usher is WAAAAAAYYYY behind #1. How does he do so badly on Amazon and still sell more f*cking albums? :[

#2 is nothing to scoff at, but it simply does NOT have the same impact as #1 by a long shot. It's just not the same thing.

yeah I remember when counterparts came in at #2, and thats because Pearl Jam released their 2nd album that same day.

Just checked Amazon - Clockwork Angels is at #1 in music, and Usher's new album is at #19. How does this translate into him selling more albums? Could Amazon really be THAT bad a barometer of what's selling and what's not? I would think it'd be a pretty fair indication as so many people buy their music there...

Hey, c'mon, now. A #1 would endanger their status as world's biggest cult band, wouldn't it?

Seriously, though. It does seem to be just as much about who else releases that day. Rush just can't get a break in that regard.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 14 2012, 09:45 AM)
From RIAB:

Billboard.com reports that Rush's Clockwork Angels album is set to debut at #2 next week on the Billboard 200, just behind Usher's Looking 4 Myself:

Usher is heading for his fourth No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 chart, as "Looking 4 Myself" should easily top the list next week. Industry sources say the album will sell around 120,000 to 130,000 copies by the end of the tracking week on Sunday, June 17. ... Other albums aiming for high debuts next week on the Billboard 200 include Rush's "Clockwork Angels," ... Rush's latest -- the band's first studio album since 2007 -- may sell around 80,000 to 90,000. Its last set, "Snakes & Arrows," flew in at No. 3 with 93,000. ...

Hits Daily Double reports the same thing, but with slightly higher sales estimates:

... Canadian prog-rock icons Rush's debut for the Roadrunner label, Clockwork Angels, is the next biggest debut, with estimates in the 85-95k range. That would match, or best, the total of their last album, 2007's Snakes & Arrows on Atlantic, which bowed with 93k. The veteran band's following is among the most loyal-and unabashedly geeky-in all of rock. ...

So unless Adele's 21 bumps them, it looks like Clockwork Angels should debut at #2. Billboard will release the week's album chart next Wednesday, June 20th. The album is #3 on iTunes and is still holding at #1 on the Amazon Best Seller list for Music.

http://www.billboard.com/news/usher-lookin...007321352.story

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPa...gi?news09013m01

When I picked up Clockwork Angels at my local Wal Mart, there was only one copy there. There were tons of Usher's new one and Adele. I remarked to the clerk that Rush must be selling really well because I got the last copy. He told me that he stocked that morning and that was the "ONLY" copy they received to stock. sad.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 14 2012, 10:52 AM)
Just checked Amazon - Clockwork Angels is at #1 in music, and Usher's new album is at #19. How does this translate into him selling more albums? Could Amazon really be THAT bad a barometer of what's selling and what's not? I would think it'd be a pretty fair indication as so many people buy their music there...

Remember who the audience is for each!

iTunes - more kids. instant gratification. iPod/iPhone/iPad owners.

Amazon - probably used by more 'mature' people who either want the actual CD or simply prefer ordering from a single source where they do a lot of their shopping anyway.

Kids these days get iTunes gift cards for special occasions - Adults get Amazon gift cards....

I'm not at all surprised at the disparity between the rankings on the two.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 14 2012, 09:50 AM)

The thing that pisses me off, is I've been watching what's #1 in music on Amazon for days off and on, and Rush is either at #1 or close to it, whereas Usher is WAAAAAAYYYY behind #1. How does he do so badly on Amazon and still sell more f*cking albums? angry.gif

We could change that if we all go out and buy two more copies of CA for our family and friends that wouldn't ordinarily go out to buy the album upon release. Their only $ 9.99 at Best Buy. We would keep it unwrapped and then return them a week later and buy them all over again. We could keep 2.gif at #1 week after week!

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 14 2012, 10:55 AM)
Hey, c'mon, now. A #1 would endanger their status as world's biggest cult band, wouldn't it?

Seriously, though. It does seem to be just as much about who else releases that day. Rush just can't get a break in that regard.

No shit. A number one would mean we'd have band wagon hoppers.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 14 2012, 09:58 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 14 2012, 09:50 AM)

The thing that pisses me off, is I've been watching what's #1 in music on Amazon for days off and on, and Rush is either at #1 or close to it, whereas Usher is WAAAAAAYYYY behind #1.  How does he do so badly on Amazon and still sell more f*cking albums? angry.gif

#2 is nothing to scoff at, but it simply does NOT have the same impact as #1 by a long shot.  It's just not the same thing.

We could change that if we all go out and buy two more copies of CA for our family and friends that wouldn't ordinarily go out to buy the album upon release. Their only $ 9.99 at Best Buy. We would keep it unwrapped and then return them a week later and buy them all over again. We could keep 2.gif at #1 week after week!

z7shysterical.gif

I would do that if the store would stock more than one copy!

This is from what I've seen the best reviewed Rush album in my time as a fan of roughly 30 years (I can't imagine any Rush album receiving more favorable press ever, even MP and certainly nothing before) and the fans seem overwhelmingly excited about it and yet it's going to sell about what S&A did. I love S&A but people kept trying to convince me that sales numbers proved it was a bad album. I just hope that this is a lesson to people that kept trying to tell me for decades that Rush's declining sales were a result of lesser albums. Quality has nothing to do with it, it's all about what's "in" and rock from older bands is simply not.

I can't believe I got into a discussion/argument with that nutjob fenderjazz on youtube a while back if any of you know who he is. He was bashing some Rush song from the last 25 years like he always does and when he said that the sales numbers proved Rush has sucked for decades I told him confidently that even MP would have a hard time going gold these days. The quality is irrelevant, there's simply no market for that kind of music anymore. Anyway, he countered and was adamant that MP released today would go "multi-platinum" and "change the music landscape". What a clueless idiot.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 14 2012, 09:17 AM)
Usher can suck my... anyway, I don't get why crappy music seems to have unrelenting popularity. I guess I never will.

"Some people like crap!" laugh.gif

Remember goober, quality and popularity are two totally unrelated things. Besides, quality in art is undefinable anyway.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 14 2012, 10:52 AM)

Probably because Amazon might not report sales totals to Billboard. Not to mention itunes purchases probably play into it.

Usher? Ugh, well at least it isn't Adele. Just think, if VH hadn't released their album when they did (Grammy time) they may have had a #1. For Rush, this was their best chance, with Kenny Chesney due out next week and Maroon 5 AND Linkin Park the following week. All the country folks and kiddies will be out for those three albums, respectively.

Very close for two 70's/80's rock bands this year in Rush and VH. #2 is still nothing to sneeze at. I'm used to it, I'm a Devils fan! eh.gif

T

Edited by IEATZ28

The veteran band's following is among the most loyal-and unabashedly geeky-in all of rock. ...

f**k Billboard! I'm going to send them a nastily-worded letter right now!

*Rolls 1d20*

*Lands a 4*

*Factors INT modifier in*

DAMN! Failed my Writing Comprehension saving throw!

Oh well, maybe next time.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jun 14 2012, 11:45 AM)
The veteran band's following is among the most loyal-and unabashedly geeky-in all of rock. ...

*Rolls 1d20*

*Lands a 4*

So, we're geeky........ confused13.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 14 2012, 11:47 AM)
QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jun 14 2012, 11:45 AM)

*Rolls 1d20*

*Lands a 4*

So, we're geeky........ confused13.gif

I guess if you've never played D&D that joke won't make any sense, sorry wink.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 14 2012, 10:37 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 14 2012, 09:17 AM)
Usher can suck my... anyway, I don't get why crappy music seems to have unrelenting popularity.  I guess I never will.

"Some people like crap!" laugh.gif

Remember goober, quality and popularity are two totally unrelated things. Besides, quality in art is undefinable anyway.

Reminds me how when I was in Best Buy getting my copy of CA (and they had a TON), Lady Gaga (aka googoo, gagme) was playing in the store.

Made a comment to the woman at the register that it felt good buying real music while crap was playing.

... when she didn't crack a smile, I apologized just in case she likes Gaga.... although perhaps my apology was aimed at possibly her bad taste in music. wink.gif