Sick of the circlejerk around here.

Alchemical

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 15 2012, 05:06 AM)
It's a message board and people express opinions. If I post that T4E is a complete crock of maggot-infested shit then that is obviously my personal opinion. Who else's opinion could it be?

laugh.gif

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 15 2012, 09:07 PM)
QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jun 15 2012, 07:40 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 15 2012, 08:06 AM)
It's a message board and people express opinions. If I post that T4E is a complete crock of maggot-infested shit then that is obviously my personal opinion. Who else's opinion could it be?

Mine. wink.gif

I second that!

Throw me in there too.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 15 2012, 06:00 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 15 2012, 03:22 AM)
QUOTE (hoerstle @ Jun 14 2012, 04:05 PM)
if the expression 'in my opinion' was used more often, there would definitly be less insulting posts, more interesting discussions and more respect for other peoples' oppinions. but somehow many people tend to say 'it is like this or that' instead of 'in my opinion' or 'for me it seems to be like...whatever'. I mean it's a HUGE difference if you say the album IS good/bad or if you say I like it/don't like it because......

I agree. I think framing things as your "opinion" could diffuse a lot of hard feelings and potential fights. Too many times we don't clarify that something is our opinion, and our opinions are delivered as though they're empirical truths. For example, "Vapor Trails was a piece of shit" or "Armor and Sword was the best thing they've done in 25 years"... said this way, it makes it sound like these are TRUTHS when they're just one person's opinions!

Maybe, too, the lot of us could just look at other posts as though the 'IMO" is IMPLIED, though not said. If we see ALL posts as being merely another person's opinion, we're less likely to feel the opinion-giver is being condescending to us, that he's acting as though his opinion is empirical truth and we who disagree are crazy or denying reality.

Yeah, it gets tiring having to say IMO or IMHO all the time so people don't get offended because my opinions otherwise sound too authoritative - I wish people could just assume it was there unspoken when I and others forget or can't be bothered to spell it out.

but that's just your opinion!

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Jun 13 2012, 10:21 PM)
You know you've stumbled upon a circlejerk online when one cannot even express his opinion that may differ from the norm without being lambasted as a dissenter (Read: Troll), or not a "real" RUSH fan. Look, we all dig RUSH, that's why we're here right? But, believe it or not, some of us on here DON'T like the album, and what's so wrong with that? Not everyone is bound to orgasm over CA. Me personally? I dig it but I'm not completely blown away. I've given it six listens and it's adequate, even very good, but it's not a masterpiece in my opinion. IN. MY. OPINION. Got that?

I'm just sick of the diminutive minority on here who have legit reason to dislike the album getting shut down by boisterous fanboyism. Let people hold their opinions, kay? I don't see how it is personally affecting you.

The problem is when people start stating their opinions as 'fact' or gospel with an arrogant know-it-all emphatic tone.

You used the "I" word. You don't like it. Cool. I don't like but one or two songs off VT and SA. I love this album But that's just me.

And when people post screen captures of some audio editing program, like that proves their point: "Look, it's a wall of sound."

So, rock and roll is loud? Ya don't say...

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 16 2012, 06:39 AM)
Circle jerk? Hmm... You got my attention but That sir is a misleading title as this seems to be yet another bitching thread.

Welcome to TRF

bekloppt.gif

Maybe he meant there is a circle of Rush fans who love the new album so he is going to be a jerk.

smile.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 15 2012, 08:07 PM)
QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jun 15 2012, 07:40 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 15 2012, 08:06 AM)

Mine. wink.gif

I second that!

I third that, except for Dog Years, which I love...and yes, I know I'm probably the only person in the known universe that feels that way about the song!

QUOTE (umoveme @ Jun 16 2012, 10:13 AM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 16 2012, 06:39 AM)
Circle jerk? Hmm... You got my attention but That sir is a misleading title as this seems to be yet another bitching thread.

Welcome to TRF

bekloppt.gif

Maybe he meant there is a circle of Rush fans who love the new album so he is going to be a jerk.

smile.gif

Good point.

Yes, it does seem like this forum is getting a little out of control in terms of people being too harsh to others. I mean, in the end, its just music people! As has been said, we're all here because we love Rush, but that doesn't mean that the forum should be run like some kind of North Korean politcal prison camp. If you don't like the nes album or any other album or song by the band, thats fine by me. Just explain why you feel the way you do and allow other to agree or disagree...but it should at least try to be in a respectful manner. I dont get all the hate that's spewed on here sometimes.

For instance, I think the new album is great, but it is a sonic abortion, without a doubt. Is this my opinion? Yes! However, I can back up my opinion with emperical, repeatable data (i.e. the dreaded waveform, dynamic range numbers, etc.). However, even though the band has clearly lost its way in terms of putting out a good sounding album, I can still look past that and enjoy the music, which is the most important thing at the end of the day. I would just hope that we can all be respectful to one another. I actually learn a lot from those I disagree with sometimes and I'm always open to having my mind changed.

I guess perhaps the "taking things personally" thing might just come with the deception of seeing opinions that are so different from yours that you feel kind of detached from a discussion possibility, or when someone would quote someone and then drag it down...

Kind of meaningless, cause we aren't really going to convince someone they do or don't like something.

Me I think it is their best in a while. An album that I don't have to put on certain mental filters to really get into.

For the last couple of albums it has been about 50 -50 for me and I kind of liked them just because I really wanted to get into them being a longtime fan. This one i can really sink into. The value of a certain level of complexity / writing / melodies is all relative to each person. What qualifies any of those qualities is too...

I guess the one thing that gets me in the back of my mind is, after hearing all the stories of how involved Nick R was in the making of this is that I am wondering if I am not hearing mainly his influence, or if the guys we at this point already... maybe it would have been better if I hadn't read all that beforehand...Perhaps in the past they have been as "collaborative" with producers and just haven't discussed it as much. Not a problem really but I cant help feeling as if half the album was in part "written for them" and not coming from the source....

confused13.gif

oh well. I do like it though.

biggrin.gif

Edited by Solitudeix

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 16 2012, 01:36 PM)
When you read my opinion please take it as a fact. Thank you.

You can take this as fact: Those are some incredible women on your posts!

drool1.gif

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Jun 16 2012, 12:31 PM)
Yes, it does seem like this forum is getting a little out of control in terms of people being too harsh to others. I mean, in the end, its just music people! As has been said, we're all here because we love Rush, but that doesn't mean that the forum should be run like some kind of North Korean politcal prison camp. If you don't like the nes album or any other album or song by the band, thats fine by me. Just explain why you feel the way you do and allow other to agree or disagree...but it should at least try to be in a respectful manner. I dont get all the hate that's spewed on here sometimes.

For instance, I think the new album is great, but it is a sonic abortion, without a doubt. Is this my opinion? Yes! However, I can back up my opinion with emperical, repeatable data (i.e. the dreaded waveform, dynamic range numbers, etc.). However, even though the band has clearly lost its way in terms of putting out a good sounding album, I can still look past that and enjoy the music, which is the most important thing at the end of the day. I would just hope that we can all be respectful to one another. I actually learn a lot from those I disagree with sometimes and I'm always open to having my mind changed.

Here, maybe you can learn something from this: Be specific, Try using other words besides,

Sonic Abortion, or North Korean Prison Camp,

Its these terms that aggravate the other member. Honestly, the only thing your data shows, is that you can run great music through a program and get a spread sheet that may or may not collaborate what you think you're thinking. CA is a Far Cry from being a Sonic abortion as this forum being a Far Cry from being a North Korean Prison Camp. But it might be a good idea for you to visit one for a week so you might have some kind of perspective.

Try using the language that your under paid teachers tried to instill within you and obviously failed.

sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 16 2012, 02:41 PM)
Yes, it does seem like this forum is getting a little out of control in terms of people being too harsh to others.  I mean, in the end, its just music people!  As has been said, we're all here because we love Rush, but that doesn't mean that the forum should be run like some kind of North Korean politcal prison camp.  If you don't like the nes album or any other album or song by the band, thats fine by me.  Just explain why you feel the way you do and allow other to agree or disagree...but it should at least try to be in a respectful manner.  I dont get all the hate that's spewed on here sometimes. 

For instance, I think the new album is great, but it is a sonic abortion, without a doubt.  Is this my opinion?  Yes!  However, I can back up my opinion with emperical, repeatable data (i.e. the dreaded waveform, dynamic range numbers, etc.).  However, even though the band has clearly lost its way in terms of putting out a good sounding album, I can still look past that and enjoy the music, which is the most important thing at the end of the day.  I would just hope that we can all be respectful to one another.  I actually learn a lot from those I disagree with sometimes and I'm always open to having my mind changed.

Here, maybe you can learn something from this: Be specific, Try using other words besides,

Its these terms that aggravate the other member. Honestly, the only thing your data shows, is that you can run great music through a program and get a spread sheet that may or may not collaborate what you think you're thinking. CA is a Far Cry from being a Sonic abortion as this forum being a Far Cry from being a North Korean Prison Camp. But it might be a good idea for you to visit one for a week so you might have some kind of perspective.

Try using the language that your under paid teachers tried to instill within you and obviously failed.

sarcasm.gif

There's no reason to resort to personal attacks, especially since his post was not anywhere close to being out of line. You need to chill out dude.

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Jun 13 2012, 11:40 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 13 2012, 10:36 PM)
Some opinions are worded in a manner that will receive negative attention like this thread you just started.  No one is going to stop you from having your opinion and if you can't handle criticism of your opinion or the manner it is delivered then I suggest not posting them.

Oh I can handle criticism. I've just noticed others hating on the folks who aren't too keen on CA and never vice versa. It's not exactly fair that I (And a few others) have to stifle my opinion or else it gets stomped on by the vocal fanboys.

Welcome to life...get over it.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 16 2012, 01:41 PM)
Yes, it does seem like this forum is getting a little out of control in terms of people being too harsh to others.  I mean, in the end, its just music people!  As has been said, we're all here because we love Rush, but that doesn't mean that the forum should be run like some kind of North Korean politcal prison camp.  If you don't like the nes album or any other album or song by the band, thats fine by me.  Just explain why you feel the way you do and allow other to agree or disagree...but it should at least try to be in a respectful manner.  I dont get all the hate that's spewed on here sometimes. 

For instance, I think the new album is great, but it is a sonic abortion, without a doubt.  Is this my opinion?  Yes!  However, I can back up my opinion with emperical, repeatable data (i.e. the dreaded waveform, dynamic range numbers, etc.).  However, even though the band has clearly lost its way in terms of putting out a good sounding album, I can still look past that and enjoy the music, which is the most important thing at the end of the day.  I would just hope that we can all be respectful to one another.  I actually learn a lot from those I disagree with sometimes and I'm always open to having my mind changed.

sarcasm.gif

In addition, The thread title is slightly disrespectful, especially, if one is trying to make an honest attempt at asking others to be respectful. no??

confused13.gif