Odds that they'll play CA front to back?

zappafrank

That would be a tough one. Poor Ged's voice would be strained after. But, since it will be their last tour for quite awhile, I'm sure it could be possible. I also want to keep his health in mind, singing that much in a row concert after concert could be nasty on a man hitting his 60's.

Like I said, I'm sure he could do it but we do want to keep him healthy for future albums! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Odds are very strong. I would say 95% chance we get it front to back. Maybe half to end the first set, half to start the second set. Edited by Todem

Think it would be great...bands playing new or classic albums in their entirety has become a regular thing these days, which is very cool.

My initial thought was, "The record is just over an hour...the 1st set is usually about the same time...so why not? Then play nothing but classics for the 2nd set & encore." But, as has already been pointed out, it would be rough on Ged. There's a reason why they sprinkle in a couple of instrumentals in each set. (besides the fact that they want to play 'em and we want to hear 'em)

Seems a waste to record a conceptual album, but not play it all. I like the half to close the 1st set, half to open the 2nd idea.

QUOTE (friendlyvoice @ Jun 14 2012, 05:12 PM)
Think it would be great...bands playing new or classic albums in their entirety has become a regular thing these days, which is very cool.

My initial thought was, "The record is just over an hour...the 1st set is usually about the same time...so why not? Then play nothing but classics for the 2nd set & encore." But, as has already been pointed out, it would be rough on Ged. There's a reason why they sprinkle in a couple of instrumentals in each set. (besides the fact that they want to play 'em and we want to hear 'em)

Seems a waste to record a conceptual album, but not play it all. I like the half to close the 1st set, half to open the 2nd idea.

Well, I don't think concerts are about getting the meaning or plot of a concept album.

I just can't see them doing BU2B2 live, or Wish Them Well

BU2B2 is just so short and non vital to a Rush Show

WTW would be awkward with the high pitched Geddy echoing "wiiissshhh ttthhheeemmm wweeellllll......." after having just sang Wish Them Well...

It would be the most awkward vocal trigger or background vocal track playing along with the band that an audience would ever see.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with these songs.

QUOTE (zappafrank @ Jun 13 2012, 08:59 PM)
Iron Maiden did it a few years ago when they released A Matter of Life and Death; caught everyone by surprise.  It would be awesome of Rush busted out the entire album as a surprise on this tour.

Don't you mean bored everyone to death and pissed off most of the fanbase instead of "caught by surprise?" They seriously couldn't have screwed up more than playing such a slow paced boring album live. On CD it's an alright listen, but live there are just too many slow spots. The album really drags from Out Of The Shadows until the end.

If Rush does play all of Clockwork Angels it won't be straight all the way through. They always need an instrumental in each set so Geddy can rest his voice a bit, so him singing for 66 minutes without a break just won't happen. They can still play the whole thing live but they should break it up with older stuff and extend it into the second set.

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 14 2012, 08:34 PM)
I just can't see them doing BU2B2 live, or Wish Them Well

BU2B2 is just so short and non vital to a Rush Show
WTW would be awkward with the high pitched Geddy echoing "wiiissshhh ttthhheeemmm wweeellllll......." after having just sang Wish Them Well...

It would be the most awkward vocal trigger or background vocal track playing along with the band that an audience would ever see.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with these songs.

goodpost.gif

No way Geds voice can handle it . I will bet that whatever they play live from CA will be picked by Geddy because he has to sing them and hopefully he knows his limits

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 14 2012, 09:51 PM)
Don't you mean bored everyone to death and pissed off most of the fanbase instead of "caught by surprise?" They seriously couldn't have screwed up more than playing such a slow paced boring album live. On CD it's an alright listen, but live there are just too many slow spots.

I know I would have been enraged if I had attended that concert but then I didn't really care for A Matter of Life and Death. I don't think any of Maiden's newer albums should be played in their entirety live, the songs are too long with too many slow spots for a concert. The Final Frontier really grew on me and I like it a lot now but I don't even think that should be played in its entirety live.

Back to Rush, I have only had the chance to hear CA once but I would be against playing the whole thing, but to stick to the thread I will say only 30% due to Ged's voice issues, he really didn't sound that great for a lot of shows on the TM tour and that was with all the instrumentals.

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 14 2012, 05:41 PM)
QUOTE (friendlyvoice @ Jun 14 2012, 05:12 PM)

Well, I don't think concerts are about getting the meaning or plot of a concept album.

I guess Steven Wilson would disagree, since Porcupine Tree played "The Incident" straight through on their last tour.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 16 2012, 01:42 AM)
I have a feeling they play the whole thing... in order... maybe only broken up by the first intermission.

I'd be happy whether they decide to do this or NOT, but my gut tells me the chances are around 70%.

Your Godlike gut and my Blazelike gut disagree. My odds put it at 20% (which actually is still fairly high for playing an entire album).

I said in another thread that IF they do play it all then they should break it up ala intermission...and yeah, in order.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze