Steven Wilson's Third Solo Album

ColdFireYYZ

I'm ready for it, but I'll wait till Feb 25!

:nya nya: :blaze:

Hey, in my new poll I have an option I made with you in mind ;)

Of course, you can still listen to Luminol live, as it's been officially released for months

http://youtu.be/E3MpGBwGdVk

And the studio version with Guthrie Govan is here:

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/stream-luminol-from-the-raven-that-refused-to-sing/

The album is a master piece. The Watchmaker is an epic song. It's absolutely brilliant. This album will go down as one of the best prog rock albums ever. It's that good. Love the musical direction SW has taken.

Totally agree, it boasts all the hallmarks of classic prog yet still sounds fresh.

• Like 1

Great interview with Steven Wilson, Theo Travis, Adam Holzman, Nick Beggs, and Alan Parsons:

http://www.innerview...er/wilson2.html

Edit: And there's a lineup change.

(From SW's Facebook)

Please note that the SW band for the tour will change between the European and American legs. The line up for all of the European shows will be the same as on the forthcoming album: Guthrie Govan - guitar' date=' Adam Holzman - keyboards, Theo Travis - flute/sax, Nick Beggs - bass, and Marco Minnemann - drums. However, due to another touring commitment, Marco is unable to join the band on the North / South American leg of the tour. Sorry as I am to not have Marco for the whole tour, I'm very happy to announce that Chad Wackerman will be taking over the drum stool for these shows. Chad is perhaps best known for being Frank Zappa's drummer for 7 years in the eighties, until Zappa's retirement from live performance, but he is also a composer and band leader in his own right, and has performed with many other high profile artists. Needless to say Chad is an extraordinary musician who will bring his own talents and unique style to the SW band.[/quote']

I'm not too familiar with him, but I know that he's a great drummer so the shows should still be great nonetheless.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

Pre-ordered the deluxe CD/DVD version. Can't wait!

Going from Marco to Chad is like a Corvette to a Toyota Prius. Chad plays it safe. He doesn't go for it. Marco is like an unchanged lion that has not ate for 10 days. Chad also doesn't hit that hard. His vocabulary is not as broad as Marcos. Marco has chops. Chad has pork chops. Oh well, he's a better choice than Tomar Z. Why not get Simon Phillips or Dennis Chambers. Those guys would light it up. Heck what's Gavin Harrison up to. Have him do the US dates. Even better call Vinnie Colaiuta. Virgil Donati would be a good choice also. Chaddy Wacky. No thanks.

Going from Marco to Chad is like a Corvette to a Toyota Prius. Chad plays it safe. He doesn't go for it. Marco is like an unchanged lion that has not ate for 10 days. Chad also doesn't hit that hard. His vocabulary is not as broad as Marcos. Marco has chops. Chad has pork chops. Oh well, he's a better choice than Tomar Z. Why not get Simon Phillips or Dennis Chambers. Those guys would light it up. Heck what's Gavin Harrison up to. Have him do the US dates. Even better call Vinnie Colaiuta. Virgil Donati would be a good choice also. Chaddy Wacky. No thanks.

You just said in your last post that Chad is "really an amazing drummer and a good fit for the gig". :huh:

Do you really like Marco that much more?

You just said in your last post that Chad is "really an amazing drummer and a good fit for the gig". :huh:

Do you really like Marco that much more?

Plus this is probably the cheapest show I'll ever see (depending on other venues, mine was cheap). I only had to pay $25 and I get to be right up next to the stage. Drummer change be damned, it'll still be worth every penny.

ANIMATED VIDEO FOR RAVEN THAT REFUSED TO SING

Leak-Haters, this is also an opportunity for you to hear the title track pre-release.

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/video-gaga/exclusive-porcupine-tree-steven-wilson-releases-debut-video-180525498.html

This video reminded me of the line... "Wish I was old and a little sentimental"

The video was outstandingly beautiful.. I did not think he could top GFD... but I've limited myself to just "Luminol" and now the Title Track... nothing else.. Ive avoided other previews...but if the rest of the album is of this calibur, GFD might be topped.

The entire album is just incredible. Marcos drumming is amazing. After a bunch of listens you get addicted to the music. Don't see how Chad can play these songs with the energy and creativity the way Marco does. Once everyone hears The Holy Drinker and The Watchmaker you will all realize how great the drumming is. The soprano sax and flute are a great addition to the music. The solos are engaging. It's a live recording. And you can tell!!! The music breaths.

The entire album is just incredible. Marcos drumming is amazing. After a bunch of listens you get addicted to the music. Don't see how Chad can play these songs with the energy and creativity the way Marco does. Once everyone hears The Holy Drinker and The Watchmaker you will all realize how great the drumming is. The soprano sax and flute are a great addition to the music. The solos are engaging. It's a live recording. And you can tell!!! The music breaths.

You've obviously not heard many Allan Holdsworth albums.

Have heard all of holdsworth stuff. Favorite is secrets with Vinnie. That album is nuts. warden cliff tower has a nice solo by vinnie on it. Chad plays on that album.. Saw AH with Virgil Donati last year. Have heard all his solo stuff also and the Zappa years. Just not a fan. Kind of stale playing to my ears. Curious to hear how chad will sound with SW. Just might go to the show.

Have heard all of holdsworth stuff. Favorite is secrets with Vinnie. That album is nuts. warden cliff tower has a nice solo by vinnie on it. Chad plays on that album.. Saw AH with Virgil Donati last year. Have heard all his solo stuff also and the Zappa years. Just not a fan. Kind of stale playing to my ears. Curious to hear how chad will sound with SW. Just might go to the show.

The only problem I have with Chad is he tends to overplay at times.

Just heard the album and all I can say is that it is interesting. The musical direction SW has taken is interesting because it sounds like he is moving away from very structured songs to a very loosely organized structure. Even SW admits that he wrote the songs for the guys in the band to interpret. This is very different even from GFD and very different from PT. It will be interesting to see where he goes now. Full circle and back to PT or not? Also, the tone of his writing has changed from dark content to ethereal. No more songs about drug addicts and such. Pretty cool if you ask me.