Your favorite MOMENTS from Clockwork Angels

Presto-digitation

Let's focus in on a few specific cool moments, be it a riff or a vocal delivery, drum roll or bass line. Without listing 25 things and overdoing it, list a couple of your standout moments so far on the album.

Mine:

The tail end of the title track. "As if to....fly" and then the barrage of drums and guitars...a quick stop(!)....and subsequently into that haunting Geddy refrain.

Lastly we hear the echo of "What do you lack?"

Christ, I got chills typing that out. biggrin.gif The atmosphere on this song abounds.

Edited by Presto-digitation

so early to say...seems this amazing album will reveal many gems over time.

For now, some of Neils fills in clockwork angels 6:14. Main riff in 7 cities is just wub.gif solo in headlong flight and the garden. Not a moment but i love the rawer production.....

The whole album dammit! biggrin.gif

Edited by condemned2bfree

The bass in "The Anarchist," the beginning of "Seven Cities of Gold," and "Headlong Flight."

From "The Anarchist," the recurring line:

A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage,

along with the instrumentation around that line.

From "The Wreckers," the recurring part that begins:

All I know is that sometimes you have to be wary...

The instrumental breakdown in "Headlong Flight"

From "Wish Them Well," the recurring part that goes:

Thank your stars you're not that way

Turn your back and walk away...

The beauty of "The Garden," and the line:

The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect...

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 12 2012, 03:25 PM)
Let's focus in on a few specific cool moments, be it a riff or a vocal delivery, drum roll or bass line. Without listing 25 things and overdoing it, list a couple of your standout moments so far on the album.

Mine:

The tail end of the title track. "As if to....fly" and then the barrage of drums and guitars...a quick stop(!)....and subsequently into that haunting Geddy refrain.

Lastly we hear the echo of "What do you lack?"

Christ, I got chills typing that out. biggrin.gif The atmosphere on this song abounds.

"BU2B"'s new intro- it reminds me of a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western cool.gif

The entire chorus of "The Anarchist." A lost track from Vapor Trails, I tells ya!

The way Geddy yells "LIKE A BOLT FROM THE B-LUE!" in "The Wreckers."

In fact, all of Geddy's vocals in "Seven Cities of Gold." And its funky intro that reminds me of "Red Lenses."

I'll think of more smile.gif

The Sublime music underneath the "high above the city square" part in Clockwork Angels. Also the guitar solo.

The music underneath" sometimes the angels punish us" in Carnies. Reminds me so much of a Power Windows track.

The chorus of The Wreckers. Enough said.

The first 22 seconds of the Garden. Sounds like an Iron Maiden song when they use guitar synths. Also from the guitar solo to the end of the song. Doesn't get any more goosebumpy than that.

Too many to mention:)

The theremin in Bu2B - didn't notice it the same way with the first mix, and certainly didn't know it was a theremin until the recent interview with Nick R. where he mentioned it (no credit for theremin on record...)

The orchestration at the end of the Garden - Goosebump moment (the song is full of them!)

The middle section of The Wreckers "icy grave..." - goosebumps

The build up and drum fill leading into the last verse of Headlong Flight - just so powerful when it kicks in. It's like being on a rollercoaster.

"The Missing part of me that grows around me like a cage" - lyrics, vocals, and music = RULE!

Guitar solo in CA, that leads into that "change of setting" Blues bit. Sort of a surreal moment.

The Whisper of the Pedlar at the end of CA - though a minor gripe is I don't hear it repeated for Pedlar ii.

Thought of more:

All of "Clockwork Angels." It's majestic, it's freaky, it's visceral, and somehow I cannot compare it to anything in their vast catalog. That's saying something.

Oh yeah, "Seven Cities of Gold"'s intro reminds me of "Virtuality" in a way, too.

"The Garden" is a perfect goodbye song. Thankfully for us, it's not wink.gif

Halo Effect - the strings playing 1:53-1:56 instead of guitar like the first time

The Wreckers - the string buildup to the chorus at 2:00-2:04 (and heck, the whole chorus!)

The Garden - 1:12-1:15 leading into "the measure of a life..."

the weird backward vocal that fades in right before Geddy sings "You promise every treasure to the foolish and the wise" on CA

gives me goosebumps smile.gif

Edited by Rushman14

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 12 2012, 03:14 PM)
the weird backward vocal that fades in right before Geddy sings "You promise every treasure to the foolish and the wise" on CA

You got that right. Great touch whoever thought of that.

I think it's just drawing out his into voice....(like his words are being pulled through a tube). Not sure it's backwards.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 12 2012, 01:30 PM)

I think it's just drawing out his into voice....(like his words are being pulled through a tube). Not sure it's backwards.

yeah whatever the effect is gives me goosebumps just typing about it.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 12 2012, 03:36 PM)
headlong flight when they break with geddy's bass groove and than alex goes into the wah wah pedal effect. that part is one of the best parts in a long time.

High on my list too. Great section from that song.

My favorite thing on the album and apparently my fourth favorite thing they have EVER done is 1:08 on Clockwork Angels.

First: Extended Outro on Bravado-Different Stages

Second: A Lerxt in Wonderland

Third: Limelight Solo

Fourth: 1:08 of Clockwork Angels

Fifth: Time Stand Still Chorus

Sixth: Hemispheres "I bring truth and..."

Seventh: Prime Mover when it quiets down and gets electronic

Eighth: Last Verse of Sweet Miracle

Ninth: 7/8 in Natural Science

Tenth: Losing It second verse.

Bass, guitar, and drums during the guitar solo in The Anarchist

Instrumental breakdown and guitar solo in Headlong Flight

"High above the city square..." part in the the title track.

Chorus of Halo Effect

Intro guitar riff in Carnies

Guitar solo in The Garden

Double bass breakdown in the middle of the Caravan instrumental section

Blues section in the title track

Chorus of Carnies

Bass line in chorus of BU2B

Loads, but the moment at the start of 'The Wreckers', when it goes quiet after the intro, just the guitar, and then Ged starts singing:

The breakers roar on an unseen shore

In the teeth of a hurricane

We struggle in vain

Something about that just got a real emotional reaction out of me on the 4th or 5th listen, and each listen since. It's a real goosebumps moment, for me wub.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jun 12 2012, 11:49 PM)
Eighth: Last Verse of Sweet Miracle

Sorry, off-topic, but YESSSSS goodpost.gif