RS Q&A w/Neil

rushfr:CP

I wonder how much this means coming from Neil instead of Alex:

Is part of you tempted to just play this whole album straight through on this tour, like you did with Moving Pictures last time?

Honestly, we never know until we get to rehearsals. We always pick at least a half-dozen songs more than we end up playing, because the show gets too long. The songs we pick are the songs we want to play, and this time we picked a whole bunch of older ones that we want to bring back and present in a different way. So our wishlist always exceeds what's possible.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 12 2012, 11:43 AM)
RS drops the "random" Rand bomb. Typical.

I'm actually glad they did. There are still fans, many on our very board, who wrongly believe Neil is a Rand-ite or Objectivist. This should kill that notion once and for all:

"...you were interested in the writings of Ayn Rand decades ago. Do her words still speak to you?"

"Oh, no. That was 40 years ago."

applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Jun 12 2012, 11:43 AM)

Is part of you tempted to just play this whole album straight through on this tour, like you did with Moving Pictures last time?
Honestly, we never know until we get to rehearsals. We always pick at least a half-dozen songs more than we end up playing, because the show gets too long. The songs we pick are the songs we want to play, and this time we picked a whole bunch of older ones that we want to bring back and present in a different way. So our wishlist always exceeds what's possible.

Time will tell, but I just hope fans don't get their hopes up, thinking "older songs" means all 70s stuff, when it likely means a lot of 80s stuff as well, if not more of.

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Jun 12 2012, 01:25 PM)
Hmm, What do they have planned for the next 2 years? The European tour ends almost exactly 1 year from now.

I could see two years of touring. In that respect, I could see them playing only half of the new album or so this fall into next year, and then pulling out the rest of the album for the following year of touring (with a few of the songs overlapping and being played both years). Would enable them to play all of the new album, just not all at once, and allow them to still dig deep and have a well-rounded set list.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 12 2012, 12:52 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 12 2012, 11:43 AM)
RS drops the "random" Rand bomb. Typical.

I'm actually glad they did. There are still fans, many on our very board, who wrongly believe Neil is a Rand-ite or Objectivist. This should kill that notion once and for all:

"...you were interested in the writings of Ayn Rand decades ago. Do her words still speak to you?"

"Oh, no. That was 40 years ago."

applaudit.gif

common001.gif cheer.gif common001.gif cheer.gif

QUOTE (rushfr:CP @ Jun 12 2012, 12:37 PM)
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a...tarian-20120612

Great interview. Insightful and hopeful!

QUOTE (The K Man @ Jun 12 2012, 01:15 PM)

Time will tell, but I just hope fans don't get their hopes up, thinking "older songs" means all 70s stuff, when it likely means a lot of 80s stuff as well, if not more of.

yeah, Geddy actually mentioned "Neurotica" in an interview yesterday. He said he could not relate to what was thinking when he wrote it. While that might not be one of the songs, I found it very interesting that he would be listening to it and thinking of it - obviously they are digging deep into the catalog! ph34r.gif

QUOTE (cygnify @ Jun 12 2012, 04:30 PM)

yeah, Geddy actually mentioned "Neurotica" in an interview yesterday. He said he could not relate to what was thinking when he wrote it. While that might not be one of the songs, I found it very interesting that he would be listening to it and thinking of it - obviously they are digging deep into the catalog! ph34r.gif

*fingers crossed, eyes shut* More from Presto, HYF, and Power Windows!!!

Yeah, I dont want to read too much into the whole "we got the next 2 years planned out" comment as (as previously mentioned) the tour would be just ending after only a year from now......

And while ill concede that additional tour dates/ a second leg of the tour is the most likely scenerio for that second year, I done deny that I hope Neil is implicating "something else entirely" here....enticed, I am!

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 12 2012, 03:31 PM)

Afterimage or Enemy Within would be sweet too. Will they ever pull Chain Lightning out? Might be my fav song from Presto. 1022.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 12 2012, 04:56 PM)

Afterimage or Enemy Within would be sweet too. Will they ever pull Chain Lightning out? Might be my fav song from Presto. 1022.gif

Oh yes anything from Grace Under Pressure! I would love seeing "Kid Gloves"!

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 12 2012, 04:41 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 12 2012, 04:56 PM)

Oh yes anything from Grace Under Pressure! I would love seeing "Kid Gloves"!

Oh Yeah:

Tears

Xanadu

Madrigal

Hemisphere (Prelude)

Jacobs Ladder

Different Strings

Losing It

Kid Gloves

Middletown Dreams

Lock and Key

Open Secret

Show Don't Tell

Available Light

Where's My Thing?

Cut to The Chase

Cold Fire

Alien Shore

Vapor Trail

Any of These would be fine by me! Hell just put Prelude first and Xanadu lastl, through out five and you have the first Set! biggrin.gif

It sounds we might not hear much from Moving Pictures maybe Tom Sawyer & Limelight and thats it!

confused13.gif

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (The K Man @ Jun 12 2012, 01:27 PM)
QUOTE (Jomboni @ Jun 12 2012, 01:25 PM)
Hmm, What do they have planned for the next 2 years?  The European tour ends almost exactly 1 year from now.

I could see two years of touring. In that respect, I could see them playing only half of the new album or so this fall into next year, and then pulling out the rest of the album for the following year of touring (with a few of the songs overlapping and being played both years). Would enable them to play all of the new album, just not all at once, and allow them to still dig deep and have a well-rounded set list.

Wishful thinking, but I'd love that biggrin.gif

062802puke_prv.gif fing.gif