CA takes 'work and study' to appreciate

vital signz

Clockwork Angels is a classic example of a typical masterpiece recording by Rush, that takes some time to fully comprehend the depth of meaning of the songs and appreciation of the incredible construction of the music. A lot of their efforts require this effort, some more than others, and man o' man it is such a rewarding process to go thru.....

This recording really is that good...Christ! This one I "got" quickly...around the third listen...

Anyways, it got me thinking about other bands out there like them that require 'study' if you will...

Any other band you feel falls into this type of category?

And I also came to the realization that the reason Rush fans are so loyal to the band is that the band is so loyal to us fans. They don't just off some bullshit three chord songs that a monkey can dance to, they work at their creativity and place great effort into compositions that require us to "digest". They feed our musical souls ladies and gents.

This is what makes being lucky enough to be born with a brain capable of internalizing these compositions and appreciating them for what they are so incredibly special. Can any of us imagine how much it would suck if someone who cared about us came to us and said "hey...got the new Rush album. It sure is amazing...wanna hear it?" And we could only reply, "I don't get Rush...it's not for me..." We are the lucky ones members of TRF, and those out there who love this band. We have the gift to appreciate Rush. It should not be taken for granted!

I have made friendships that have lasted a lifetime over these guys' creations. Their music has been a common bond for us. Their music brings me peace in times of stress, excitement in times of boredom and happiness in times of despair unlike any other band on earth.

I would love to find some other bands that could require work and study, but somehow I doubt any will quite measure up to what the Holy Triumvirate provides!

laugh.gif

Edited by vital signz

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 11 2012, 08:26 PM)
Their music brings me peace in times of stress, excitement in times of boredom and happiness in times of despair unlike any other band on earth.

Yep, they do the same for me. I haven't found any other band that does this for me, and I don't expect to find one.

I have tried to "get" Porcupine Tree, but it hasn't hit me yet. I love the talent of the band. Gavin is simply amazing. I do not like very much the songs.

Yes I like, Genesis I do too, but not nearly as much as Rush. They simply are not as good of song writers IMHO. That is PURELY my opinion. No question their collective musicianship equals those in Rush.

I also have a great deal of respect for the longevity of Rush. Did you know Yes has had 18 members in their 20 studio albums? Genesis has had 11 members during their 15 albums. Genesis stopped being progressive and more 'poppy' in 1978...Yes has at least four years of very pop rock stuff in their Rabin years...

It's hard. I love good jazz, but sometimes it just moves my mind only and not my soul.

Yes and Genesis are like that to me. Rush moves both. Deeply. Porcupine Tree moves my mind, but not my soul.... I will have to give them more time. More "study and work" laugh.gif

Edited by vital signz

In other sub-genres besides Prog... I think "work and study" are also often necessary to appreciate Steely Dan and R.E.M.

I wouldn't say work and study is necessary to hear great music.

The first time I heard Xanadu and The Trees, I knew I was hearing greatness.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 11 2012, 06:07 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 11 2012, 03:31 PM)
Gentle Giant

Van der Graff Generator

goodpost.gif Especially VdGG.

I'll also add Eloy.

I actually listened to Ocean the other day. Its very slowly growing on me. I still don't love it but I think if I keep listening I'll appreciate them more.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 11 2012, 09:47 PM)
Gentle Giant

Van der Graff Generator

I'll also add Eloy.

I actually listened to Ocean the other day. Its very slowly growing on me. I still don't love it but I think if I keep listening I'll appreciate them more.

Listen to Inside and The Power and the Passion. Much easier albums to enjoy, IMO. smile.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 11 2012, 10:01 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 11 2012, 09:47 PM)
Gentle Giant

Van der Graff Generator

I'll also add Eloy.

Listen to Inside and The Power and the Passion. Much easier albums to enjoy, IMO. smile.gif

Going to look for them at NEARfest.