Bob Welch commits suicide :(

rose.gif RIP

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/07/showbiz/bob-....html?hpt=hp_t1

(CNN) -- Bob Welch, a guitarist who played with Fleetwood Mac before launching a solo career, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his chest, Nashville, Tennessee, police said Thursday. He was 66.

Welch's wife found his body in their Nashville home about 12:15 p.m., Nashville Police spokesman Don Aaron said.

"All indications are that it was a suicide," Aaron said. A suicide note was found, he said.

Welch played guitar with Fleetwood Mac starting in 1971. He left the group in late 1974, just before Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined the group.

Nicks said in a statement that Welch's death was "devastating."

"I had many great times with him after Lindsey and I joined Fleetwood Mac," singer Nicks said. "He was an amazing guitar player -- he was funny, sweet -- and he was smart.

"I am so very sorry for his family and for the family of Fleetwood Mac -- so,so sad," Nicks said.

Welch's biggest hits, "Sentimental Lady" and "Ebony Eyes" came from his debut solo album "French Kiss," released in November 1977.

RIP.

Sad.

Maybe it was like George Sanders, the actor?

On 23 April 1972, Sanders checked into a hotel in Castelldefels, a coastal town near Barcelona. He was found dead two days later, having taken five bottles of Nembutal. Sanders was 65 years old. He left behind a suicide note, which read:

Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck.

Sanders's body was cremated, and the ashes were scattered in the English Channel. David Niven wrote in his autobiography, The Moon's a Balloon (1972), that in 1937 his friend George Sanders had predicted he would commit suicide when he was 65.

ph34r.gif

Really sad. Real hard for me to understand he and Ronnie ending their own lives.

Here's what I consider the best song from from his time in Fleetwood Mac. Have a listen if you would. Good stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yA2i60AVIw

QUOTE (goose @ Jun 8 2012, 11:07 AM)
QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jun 8 2012, 04:46 AM)
Really sad. Real hard for me to understand he and Ronnie ending their own lives.

Here's what I consider the best song from from his time in Fleetwood Mac. Have a listen if you would. Good stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yA2i60AVIw

yes.gif

trink39.gif

One of my favorite tunes. Sad news...

Just hearing about this now...shocking, terrible news. I've appreciated his music and contributions to Fleetwood Mac for many years and will certainly continue to do so for many more. All the members of Fleetwood Mac were still alive and kicking until January of this year when Bob Weston (guitarist, 1972-73) passed away. Now Bob Welch is the second loss and such a sad and tragic end for such a talented musician and intelligent, deep and thoughtful guy - reflected in such FM tunes as Hypnotized, Bright Fire, Future Games, Night Watch, Sentimental Lady, Bermuda Triangle and many more. And his '77 solo album French Kiss is an underrated gem (these days), including this very cool and lyrically quite insightful tune:

Danchiva

Welch was the unsung hero of Fleetwood Mac and vital in that transitional period between the Peter Green era and the Buckingham/Nicks lineup, providing some much needed stability, leadership and creative drive during the early '70s when the band was just struggling to survive. He was the one who had to convince the others to move from England to Los Angeles which put them in the position to connect with Buckingham & Nicks in the first place after his decision to leave in '74.

Fleetwood Mac live 1971 - Beat Club

Ebony Eyes live at the Roxy in 1981 with Stevie NIcks