The Garden

UltimoGuitarist

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 5 2012, 04:41 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 5 2012, 07:34 PM)
Really?  Hell, I think it's his best vocal on the album.  biggrin.gif

His voice and vibrato sound so tired and shaky to me. I listen to it and think of how great it could be with a younger really great singer on it.

Im still ok with his voice on the heavier stuff because the flaws are masked but when the music is stripped away the quality of his voice is just really exposed and dont like how it sounds at all. Just my opinion. He's not a good singer anymore at his age so I think songs like that just are not what he's best at these days.

cool10.gif wacko.gif Geddy is the man! The band members are not 25 yrs. of age if you haven't noticed. Get over that fact and deal with it! wink.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the song and it's a nice way to close out the album. But it's not my favorite of the new material. I put the first five songs, Seven Cities Of Gold, The Wreckers and Headlong Flight all above it. It's a good song for sure but one of their best ever? One of the top ten songs they've ever recorded? Really people? Not even close.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 5 2012, 07:47 PM)
I like the song and it's a nice way to close out the album. But it's not my favorite of the new material. I put the first five songs, Seven Cities Of Gold, The Wreckers and Headlong Flight all above it. It's a good song for sure but one of their best ever? One of the top ten songs they've ever recorded? Really people? Not even close.

For me it's a slam dunk. But it's all about what you get out of music. Your list is almost exclusively the "rockers" of the album. There's nothing wrong with that at all, I'm just saying people have different priorities.

I am not drawn to this one at the moment (to listen to it over and over), as I am gravitating to the songs that are more "in your face" right now, but I'll say it is a strong song which I am sure I will grow to appreciate in the whole album schema...

just listened to it again - it's growing on me more and more...

Edited by rushbass

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 5 2012, 06:09 PM)

For me it's a slam dunk. But it's all about what you get out of music. Your list is almost exclusively the "rockers" of the album. There's nothing wrong with that at all, I'm just saying people have different priorities.

Yep 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 5 2012, 09:09 PM)

I get that some people have different priorities and I do like/love a lot of Rush's slower songs. I just think people are over hyping it by saying it's one of their best tunes ever. I mean just sit back and think for a second on how many great tunes Rush has recorded in their career, is this song really up there with all of them? It's a good song but I just don't see it at that level.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 5 2012, 08:14 PM)

I get that some people have different priorities and I do like/love a lot of Rush's slower songs. I just think people are over hyping it by saying it's one of their best tunes ever. I mean just sit back and think for a second on how many great tunes Rush has recorded in their career, is this song really up there with all of them? It's a good song but I just don't see it at that level.

Well, there's of course no right or wrong about it but speaking just for me no other Rush song has ever hit me to the emotional core the way that this one has musically and lyrically as a package. That makes it unique. But that feeling is not transferrable or explainable, it either hits you a certain way or it doesn't. It's just a combination of an individual's sensibilities and life experiences.

I do smile.gif

And I'm not being rhetorical or saying stuff just to be contrary or whatever... I really do believe The Garden is one of the finest songs of their career. Top five or ten for sure.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 5 2012, 09:14 PM)

I see you were born in 78' which makes you much to young to hear many of their classics when they first came out - I started listening to them in 75 with COS and have never missed an album release since - I think what some are saying, me included, is that very few songs have actually stirred up real emotion like this one did, goose bumps/ choked up - I have only experienced that with a few songs and not since permanent waves - Perhaps it's just old age, when you get older you get a little more sentimental about things -

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 5 2012, 09:27 PM)

Well, there's of course no right or wrong about it but speaking just for me no other Rush song has ever hit me to the emotional core the way that this one has musically and lyrically as a package. That makes it unique. But that feeling is not transferrable or explainable, it either hits you a certain way or it doesn't. It's just a combination of an individual's sensibilities and life experiences.

Very true. I still have yet to listen to the song while reading along with the lyrics. Maybe when the wrods are in front of me something may end up clicking more but right now it's not hitting me as much as it is for a lot of people so far.

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jun 5 2012, 08:30 PM)

I see you were born in 78' which makes you much to young to hear many of their classics when they first came out - I started listening to them in 75 with COS and have never missed an album release since - I think what some are saying, me included, is that very few songs have actually stirred up real emotion like this one did, goose bumps/ choked up - I have only experienced that with a few songs and not since permanent waves - Perhaps it's just old age, when you get older you get a little more sentimental about things -

And some might say that when you get older, you get set in your ways, unable to appreciate the newer stuff. Don't bristle at that - you basically said that us young'uns are too young to appreciate the older stuff. Maybe it works both ways, old man wink.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 5 2012, 09:28 PM)

I do smile.gif

And I'm not being rhetorical or saying stuff just to be contrary or whatever... I really do believe The Garden is one of the finest songs of their career. Top five or ten for sure.

I agree. It's right up there for me too. It moves me like no Rush song has in ages.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 5 2012, 08:34 PM)

And some might say that when you get older, you get set in your ways, unable to appreciate the newer stuff. Don't bristle at that - you basically said that us young'uns are too young to appreciate the older stuff. Maybe it works both ways, old man wink.gif tongue.gif

True, I've never really thought about it but I'm 44 and I kind of wonder where I fall in comparison to the average age of fans here. I know we have some really young ones and that's awesome. And there have to be many that are older than me but I still get the feeling sometimes that I'm getting.... old.gif

I still feel like I'm 21 inside but every now and then I'm slapped in the face with reality. laugh.gif

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 5 2012, 09:34 PM)

Nah - that wasn't the point i was making - my son enjoys the older stuff as much as i do all i was saying to the previous poster was that you shouldn't be surprised so many think it's one of their best -

I'm not saying you are to young to appreciate the older stuff it's just that there is a different level, persepective of appreciation when you are old enough and can't wait when an album is released as opposed to hearing it for the first time after you grow up years after it's release - There is the anticipation factor, the build up to see whats coming after 2112, or FTK - there is no comparison to actually living in those years and being old enough to rush out and by 2112 0r Permanent Waves-

Edited by alphseeker

True, I've never really thought about it but I'm 44 and I kind of wonder where I fall in comparison to the average age of fans here. I know we have some really young ones and that's awesome. And there have to be many that are older than me but I still get the feeling sometimes that I'm getting....

I still feel like I'm 21 inside but every now and then I'm slapped in the face with reality.

Same - 44. There are moments int he day when I feel 24, like when a cute girl walks by or when I'm coaching on the ballfield. Other moments, I feel like 64, when my knee reminds me that it needs its own tending or when I see a senior and wonder how I will be in that seemingly near future.

For me, it's the entire structure of the song is perfect. The piano floored me. Then Alex's solo crushed me. Such emotion; raw and precious.

I also had a moment with the very last note when I chuckled thinking that a classic Rush song's last note after an hour of music is from a cello? which obviously wouldn't be played by one of them. I found that funny - kind of luck "it's not about us. It's about the music as a whole."

QUOTE (dtpoet @ Jun 5 2012, 08:55 PM)
True, I've never really thought about it but I'm 44 and I kind of wonder where I fall in comparison to the average age of fans here. I know we have some really young ones and that's awesome. And there have to be many that are older than me but I still get the feeling sometimes that I'm getting....

I still feel like I'm 21 inside but every now and then I'm slapped in the face with reality.

Same - 44. There are moments int he day when I feel 24, like when a cute girl walks by or when I'm coaching on the ballfield. Other moments, I feel like 64, when my knee reminds me that it needs its own tending or when I see a senior and wonder how I will be in that seemingly near future.

For me, it's the entire structure of the song is perfect. The piano floored me. Then Alex's solo crushed me. Such emotion; raw and precious.

I also had a moment with the very last note when I chuckled thinking that a classic Rush song's last note after an hour of music is from a cello? which obviously wouldn't be played by one of them. I found that funny - kind of luck "it's not about us. It's about the music as a whole."

I told my dad that I still feel 21 inside and he told me about someone relatively famous whom I can't remember now who lived into his 90s. When he was asked how it felt to be 94 or whatever he was he said "I feel like I'm 21 with a whole lot of stuff wrong with me". laugh.gif

I guess everyone has that feeling where they see themselves younger than they really are. Sort of a built-in denial.

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 5 2012, 04:14 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 5 2012, 05:09 PM)
It's about the lyrics and the music equally. It's absolutely stunning, it's about the only song ever that made me tear up. If you're just into metal or musical gymnastics I can understand how it wouldn't connect, though.

Well don't get me wrong, I certainly appreciate the softer mellow side of Rush as well, but only if theres at least a good melody to the song, something to grab onto thats catchy. This song just seems to go on and on and the music is really repetative. I just don't get it that's all. What's the song about? Is it something about the lyrics that are getting to everyone?

*shrug*

goodpost.gif