Clockwork Angels

Nate1647

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hunter @ Jun 5 2012, 01:25 PM)
I like how Neil imitates the ticking of a clock with his sticks counting out the beat in those couple spots.

Man I was thinking the same think, and Alex's guitar sounds like a grandfather clock going off....

It is a phenomenal touch...

Yeah, This song signifies the real beginning of the album for me. And what a beginning it is!! This song, and the whole record for that matter, has such a passion to it that I haven't heard since 2112. They sound invigorated in these songs. Writing a story through a conceptual record was the key for them to write with a purpose again.

Just heard it on the Facebook page.

I was blown away in the first minute. I was floored by what I was hearing. In my opinion, this song alone is the best thing they've done in the last 10 years, give or take maybe Far Cry and one or two other single songs.

This one song, plus Headlong Flight, makes me think that this is going to be one of those rock albums where there isn't a single bad song on the album.

All I have to say is, if this album comes out, and its generally considered amongst fans and critics as one of their best works ever...people who nit-pick at the album better have good reasons.

I listened to this song a few days ago on utube, just to release some steam. I knew from that first listen, it was a lot to absorb.

I listened to the facebook version. Twice now. Probably the sixth time I've heard this song since I caved (this is the only unreleased song I've listened to), and it's definitey a grower as is said. I get goosebumps. I love Geddy's singing. Love Neil's cymbal work. Alex is Alex.. nothing like hearin a new Alex solo.. magnificent. So actve. This song is very cinematic. Gooey proggy deeep. I can only envision this song as continuing to take me over, like The Stuff. trink38.gif 1022.gif icon_alienjig.gif

I'm going to let this one grow on me before I pass judgement. I love what they were trying to do but upon first listen I could really hear the limit to Ged's range. I'm impressed, but I'm not blown away like I was with Headlong Flight. I think this one will grow on me.

I'm one of those who hasn't heard the whole album yet, but have listened to the stream of CA a couple of times today. It is a great song. The whole track has an openness about it. It's not a thick song, if you understand what I'm saying (I know what I'm trying to say). The song breathes, and it's amazing. Alex's guitar solo and the production on Ged's voice in the chorus really make this song.

So now having basically 4 songs from the album, I am really excited to hear the rest. Like I said elsewhere, the teaser clips don't do the songs justice. There's just so much going on in this song.

Can't wait for Tuesday!!!

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jun 7 2012, 07:53 PM)
Yeah, the blues bridge is what keeps this song out of their top tier of songs, IMO - a tier that Caravan, The Anarchist, The Wreckers, and The Garden have reached IMO.

Ha that blues section is actually one of the reasons I LOVE this song

You have the spacey atmospheric solo then BAM out of the blue you have this blues section that is in a different key and totally random, it gives me chills whenever I hear that transition 1022.gif

QUOTE (Analog_Bro @ Jun 8 2012, 12:16 AM)
QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jun 7 2012, 07:53 PM)
Yeah, the blues bridge is what keeps this song out of their top tier of songs, IMO - a tier that Caravan, The Anarchist, The Wreckers, and The Garden have reached IMO.

Ha that blues section is actually one of the reasons I LOVE this song

You have the spacey atmospheric solo then BAM out of the blue you have this blues section that is in a different key and totally random, it gives me chills whenever I hear that transition 1022.gif

YES!!! Awesome transition-totally unexpected when I heard first heard it, but it works so well. Still my favorite track on the album followed closely by The Anarchist.

This one really had to grow on me. I love that about this album, it takes more than 1 listen to get the whole picture, but when you do, it's mind blowing.

I really like the blues section that just shows up randomly. What do you think it represents? For me it feels like it represents the working citizens being looked down upon by the Watchmaker. Like I just get this picture in my head of farmers and factory workers, toiling away while being being told that "Everything will turn out for the best". Maybe I'm just reading too much into it, but it's just the imagery that comes to mind when I hear that part.

Great song. I hope we see it performed live.

Does anyone else hear Power Windows in the shimmering verse? When they go into that nice open, arpegiated verse music after the intro. Has a Middletown Dreams feel to it. Not seen that discussed much, so maybe it's just how I'm hearing it...

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 8 2012, 07:23 AM)
Does anyone else hear Power Windows in the shimmering verse? When they go into that nice open, arpegiated verse music after the intro. Has a Middletown Dreams feel to it. Not seen that discussed much, so maybe it's just how I'm hearing it...

At what time?

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 8 2012, 06:42 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 8 2012, 07:23 AM)
Does anyone else hear Power Windows in the shimmering verse?  When they go into that nice open, arpegiated verse music after the intro.  Has a Middletown Dreams feel to it.  Not seen that discussed much, so maybe it's just how I'm hearing it...

At what time?

I know what you mean.....very brightly textured, dreamy, and open. Love it!

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Jun 8 2012, 12:59 AM)
This one really had to grow on me. I love that about this album, it takes more than 1 listen to get the whole picture, but when you do, it's mind blowing.

I really like the blues section that just shows up randomly. What do you think it represents? For me it feels like it represents the working citizens being looked down upon by the Watchmaker. Like I just get this picture in my head of farmers and factory workers, toiling away while being being told that "Everything will turn out for the best". Maybe I'm just reading too much into it, but it's just the imagery that comes to mind when I hear that part.

Great song. I hope we see it performed live.

Wow! I got the complete opposite out of this song. The Lyrics indicates that they are not real beings but more robotic. 'Synchronized and graceful they move like living things." These are the beings that are keeping the masses in check, the watchmakers watch dogs if you will!

"Celestial machinery - move through your commands" and they masses worship them since they provide them with everything they need but its a form of control.

Enter the Peddlar:

"What do you lack?"

wink.gif